Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting windows file to unix :end line chararcter Post 44815 by dharmesht on Thursday 11th of December 2003 06:02:56 AM
Old 12-11-2003
windows file to unix :end line chararcter

hi ,

When i ftp a text file from Windows to unix enviornment and open the file in " vi editor" the end line charcrter of the windows file is seen as "cntrl+M" charcter in the Unix enviornment.

Is there any command in unix , so that i dont see this "cntrl+M"
chararcter in the Unix vi editor.

Thanx,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting UNIX End of Line Chachracter \000

Hi, I have this file which has some octal NULL characters (\000). I need to replace these characters with an ASCII NULL. I've tried using Perl, the UNIX tr command.. History of this I received a COBOL generated file, ran the od command to convert to a xxx byte per record file. Now,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uchachra
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert ^M appearing at end of line to unix newline?

How to convert ^M appearing at end of line to unix newline? As I have tried with ^M in 'tr' it replaced ^ to a newline. Thanks in advance. (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
21 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing end of line with " in a UNIX file

How should I replace End of line Character by ". i.e in a file - Name1,NO1 Name2,No2 Name3,No3 .... Should look like -- Name1,NO1" Name2,No2" Name3,No3" .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace unix 'new line' with windows 'new line'

I'm trying to write a script to convert a unix text file to windows/dos format. Essentially all I want to do is replace the Unix return with a windows one. on the command line I can do this successfully by: sed s/$/^M/ ~/unix.txt ~/dos.txt when I put this line in my shell script it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wha72
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding tab/new line at the end of each line of a file

Hello Everyone, I need a help from experts of this community regarding one of the issue that I am facing with shell scripting. My requirement is to append char's at the end of each line of a file. The char that will be appended is variable and will be passed through command line. The... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sourav Das
20 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Convert UNIX text file in Windows to recognize line breaks

Hmmm I think I found the correct subforum to ask my question... I have some text files that I prepared in vi some time ago, and now I want to open and edit them with Windows Notepad. I don't have a Unix terminal at the moment so I need to do the conversion in Windows. Is there a way to do this?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frys_hp
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UNIX text file in Windows to recognize line breaks

Hi all, I have some text files that I prepared in vi some time ago, and now I want to open and edit them with Windows Notepad. I don't have a Unix terminal at the moment so I need to do the conversion in Windows. Is there a way to do this? Or just reinsert thousands of line breaks again :eek: ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frys_hp
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX help adding data to end of a line with a variable

I am trying to add a date variable to the end of each line. This is what I have to start with cat ${DATAPATH}/Participate_Stream${STREAMDATE}.dryak1.csv | grep ^',' | awk '{print $0}' >> ${DATAPATH}/badparticipant.csv This is what I tried $DATE is a variable I have defined. cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: req62861
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
VIM(1)							      General Commands Manual							    VIM(1)

NAME
vim - Vi IMproved, a programmers text editor SYNOPSIS
vim [options] [file ..] vim [options] -t tag vim [options] -e [errorfile] DESCRIPTION
Vim is a text editor that is upwards compatible to vi. It can be used to edit any ASCII text. It is especially useful for editing programs. There are a lot of enhancements above vi: multi level undo, multi windows and buffers, command line editing, filename completion, on-line help, visual selection, etc.. Read difference.doc for a summary of the differences between vi and Vim. Most often Vim is started to edit a single file with the command vim file More generally VIM is started with: vim [options] [filelist] If the filelist is missing, the editor will start with an empty buffer. Otherwise exactly one out of the following three may be used to choose one or more files to be edited. file .. A list of file names. The first one (alphabetically) will be the current file and read into the buffer. The cursor will be positioned on the first line of the buffer. You can get to the other files with the ":next" command. -t {tag} The file to edit and the initial cursor position depends on a "tag", a sort of goto label. {tag} is looked up in the tags file, the associated file becomes the current file and the associated command is executed. Mostly this is used for C programs. {tag} then should be a function name. The effect is that the file containing that function becomes the current file and the cursor is positioned on the start of the function (see reference.doc, section "tag searches"). -e [errorfile] Start in quickFix mode. The file [errorfile] is read and the first error is displayed. If [errorfile] is omitted the file name is obtained from the 'errorfile' option (defaults to "AztecC.Err" for the Amiga, "errors" on other systems). Further errors can be jumped to with the ":cn" command. See reference.doc section 5.5. OPTIONS
The options, if present, must precede the filelist. The options may be given in any order. -r Recovery mode. The swap file is used to recover a crashed editing session. The swap file is a file with the same file name as the text file with ".swp" appended. See reference.doc, chapter "Recovery after a crash". -v View mode. The 'readonly' option will be set. You can still edit the buffer, but will be prevented from accidently overwriting a file. If you do want to overwrite a file, add an exclamation mark to the Ex command, as in ":w!". The -v option also implies the -n option (see below). The 'readonly' option can be reset with ":set noro" (see reference.doc, options chapter). -b Binary. A few options will be set that makes it possible to edit a binary or executable file. +[num] For the first file the cursor will be positioned on line "num". If "num" is missing, the cursor will be positioned on the last line. +/pat For the first file the cursor will be positioned on the first occurrence of "pat" (see reference.doc, section "pattern searches" for the available search patterns). +{command} -c {command} {command} will be executed after the first file has been read. {command} is interpreted as an Ex command. If the {command} con- tains spaces it must be enclosed in double quotes (this depends on the shell that is used). Example: Vim "+set si" main.c -x (Amiga only) Vim is not restarted to open a new window. This option should be used when Vim is executed by a program that will wait for the edit session to finish (e.g. mail). The ":sh" and ":!" commands will not work. -o[N] Open N windows. When N is omitted, open one window for each file. -n No swap file will be used. Recovery after a crash will be impossible. Handy if you want to edit a file on a very slow medium (e.g. floppy). Can also be done with ":set uc=0". Can be undone with ":set uc=200". -s {scriptin} The script file {scriptin} is read. The characters in the file are interpreted as if you had typed them. The same can be done with the command ":source! {scriptin}". If the end of the file is reached before the editor exits, further characters are read from the keyboard. -w {scriptout} All the characters that you type are recorded in the file {scriptout}, until you exit VIM. This is useful if you want to create a script file to be used with "vim -s" or ":source!". -T terminal Tells Vim the name of the terminal you are using. Should be a terminal known to Vim (builtin) or defined in the termcap file. -d device Open "device" for use as a terminal. Only on the Amiga. Example: "-d con:20/30/600/150". SEE ALSO
Vim documentation: reference.doc: A complete reference of Vim (long) windows.doc: Explanation of the multi windows and buffers commands and options index: Overview of all command characters (useful when adding new mappings) difference.doc: Overview of the differences between vi and Vim unix.doc: Unix-specific comments vim.hlp: File used by the on-line help (short) AUTHOR
Most of VIM was made by Bram Moolenaar. VIM is based on Stevie, worked on by: Tim Thompson, Tony Andrews and G.R. (Fred) Walter BUGS
Probably. 1994 August 12 VIM(1)