Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix commands
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Unix commands Post 44544 by Kelam_Magnus on Monday 8th of December 2003 12:01:21 PM
Old 12-08-2003
Charlton,

many of hte answers you seek can be found in teh man pages on any UNIX system...

IF you read the sort man page, you will see that it shows. you the options for sorting...

Here is an excerpt from the man page... the -r option reverses the sort order... -k n where n is a number sorts based upon the field number, normal delimiter is space or tab.

Sort the contents of infile with the second field as the sort key:

sort -k 2,2 infile

Sort, in reverse order, the contents of infile1 and infile2, placing
the output in outfile and using the first two characters of the second
field as the sort key:

sort -r -o outfile -k 2.1,2.2 infile1 infile2

Sort, in reverse order, the contents of infile1 and infile2, using the
first non-blank character of the fourth field as the sort key:

sort -r -k 4.1b,4.1b infile1 infile2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Commands

Where can I get a list of basic commands ? I want to get up to speed as soon as possible ? thanks..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drukkie
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maingrame to UNIX sending UNIX commands

I want to know if there is a way to send unix commands thru FTP from a mainframe to kick off Autosys Jobs. I just need to send a command from the mainframe to UNIX and have UNIX execute that command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skammer
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Commands?

I would be happy to streamline some of the commands I am trying to learn with easy to remember terms, like dir for ls -l. I am wondering if you script certain commands for every time you start-up your system, can use those aliases there? If so, would that prove a problem for administrators who... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Unix Commands

HP 9000/800 Server running HP-UX UNIX Server, users are connected via LAN and dialup connection. Need help to write SHELL SCRIPT or UNIX Commands which would perform the following: -ping IP address of all login/connected users to our server -send customized text message to all the login... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moinul Haque
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running UNIX commands remotely in Windows box from Unix box – avoid entering password

I am able to run the UNIX commands in a Windows box from a UNIX box through "SSH" functionality. But whenever the SSH connection is established between UNIX and Windows, password for windows box is being asked. Is there a way to avoid asking password whenever the SSH connection is made? Can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: D.kalpana
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Commands

hi experts, Where will I be able to find the whole man of unix commands in Web(the official documentation)? How many commands are there in total in Unix? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith_VK
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix commands...

i want to know how to do a few things using unix commands. firstly say I have a .txt file that contains random lines like Hello Goodbye I'm tired 5 74 using the grep command how can I get a list of lines that contain ONLY digits? also using pipes to combine ls and grep commands how... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ez45
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ALL unix commands

Hello Folks Where can I find all the unix commands with explanations , on the internet. I am searching but most of the sites are listing a few of the important ones. PLease guide through thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercops
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

$ commands in unix

What are the various commands which use $ in unix and what do each of these indicate? eg: echo $? returns the success status of the previous commands..similarly $$ returns some numeric value..wat exactly are these? From where can a download a document which can help me getting more details about... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DDS
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Commands help

Having trouble doing the following things, I know it has something to do with using metacharacters but I'm not able to get it working correctly. I need a command to get a long directory listing of all the files that have: exactly two characters following the letters zot. all files that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakers34kb
1 Replies
Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)

NAME
Net::LDAP::Control::Sort - Server Side Sort (SSS) control object SYNOPSIS
use Net::LDAP::Control::Sort; use Net::LDAP::Constant qw(LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT); $sort = Net::LDAP::Control::Sort->new( order => "cn -phone" ); $mesg = $ldap->search( @args, control => [ $sort ]); ($resp) = $mesg->control( LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT ); print "Results are sorted " if $resp and !$resp->result; DESCRIPTION
"Net::LDAP::Control::Sort" is a sub-class of Net::LDAP::Control. It provides a class for manipulating the LDAP Server Side Sort (SSS) request control 1.2.840.113556.1.4.473 as defined in RFC-2891 If the server supports sorting, then the response from a search operation will include a sort result control. This control is handled by Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult. CONSTRUCTOR ARGUMENTS
order A string which defines how entries may be sorted. It consists of multiple directives, spearated by whitespace. Each directive describes how to sort entries using a single attribute. If two entries have identical attributes, then the next directive in the list is used. Each directive specifies a sorting order as follows -attributeType:orderingRule The leading "-" is optional, and if present indicates that the sorting order should be reversed. "attributeType" is the attribute name to sort by. "orderingRule" is optional and indicates the rule to use for the sort and should be valid for the given "attributeType". Any one attributeType should only appear once in the sorting list. Examples "cn" sort by cn using the default ordering rule for the cn attribute "-cn" sort by cn using the reverse of the default ordering rule "age cn" sort by age first, then by cn using the default ordering rules "cn:1.2.3.4" sort by cn using the ordering rule defined as 1.2.3.4 METHODS
As with Net::LDAP::Control each constructor argument described above is also available as a method on the object which will return the current value for the attribute if called without an argument, and set a new value for the attribute if called with an argument. SEE ALSO
Net::LDAP, Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult, Net::LDAP::Control, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2891.txt AUTHOR
Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> Please report any bugs, or post any suggestions, to the perl-ldap mailing list <perl-ldap@perl.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Graham Barr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-06-07 Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)