Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Maximum files in a Directory
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Maximum files in a Directory Post 4454 by Neo on Tuesday 24th of July 2001 10:33:19 PM
Old 07-24-2001
Each directory has a maxiums number of inodes associated with the directory entry. These parameters are created when the filesystem is made, as I recall, and stored in the superblocks. The maximum file size is also based on how the filesystem is made, based on the size of the disk partition.

This tutorial on the Solaris filesystem might be helpful:

http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonli...lesystem3.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix shell script for finding top ten files of maximum size

I need to write a Unix shell script which will list top 10 files in a directory tree on basis of size. i.e. first file should be the biggest in the whole directory and all its sub directories. Please suggest any ideas (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls - maximum number of files

what is the maximum number ls can list down (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karnan
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to rsync or tar directory trees, with hidden directory, but without files?

I want to backup all the directory tress, including hidden directories, without copying any files. find . -type d gives the perfect list. When I tried tar, it won't work for me because it tars all the files. find . -type d | xargs tar -cvf a.tar So i tried rsync. On my own test box, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sub directories containing maximum files

Hi All, I have this command coded in C Shell to get the top ten sub directories in the order of number of files they contain. find $parent_dir -type d -exec filecount {} \; | sort -nr | head -10 But it does not seem to show any output. Can someone please help me out in correcting this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adurga
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP files from different directory from remote server to one directory in local

Hi All, I want to search for .log files from folders and sub folders in remote server and FTP them to one particular folder in the local machine. I dont want to copy the entire directory tree structure, just have to take all the .log files from all the folders by doing a recursive search from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dassv
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting files having maximum timestamp

Hi , I'm using Ksh 88 I've the following files in a directory with YearMonthDate (Ex:20130601) YDT:FILE1:20130601 YDT:FILE1:20130615 YDT:FILE2:20130601 YDT:FILE2:20130615 YDT:FILE3:20130601 YDT:FILE3:20130615 And i need the files having maximum timestamp , Means i need to display ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
8 Replies

8. Debian

Problem with maximum files and directories

Hi, I'm using Kali linux, I think it's a debian linux ? I'm trying to create a folder in which there'll be 256 folders, and in each of this folders there will also be 256 folders. Then in each terminate folders I want to create 4096 files. It will look like /dir/aa/aa/aaa.txt,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganon551
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies
LIMITS.CONF(5)							 Linux-PAM Manual						    LIMITS.CONF(5)

NAME
limits.conf - configuration file for the pam_limits module DESCRIPTION
The pam_limits.so module applies ulimit limits, nice priority and number of simultaneous login sessions limit to user login sessions. This description of the configuration file syntax applies to the /etc/security/limits.conf file and *.conf files in the /etc/security/limits.d directory. The syntax of the lines is as follows: <domain><type><item><value> The fields listed above should be filled as follows: <domain> o a username o a groupname, with @group syntax. This should not be confused with netgroups. o the wildcard *, for default entry. o the wildcard %, for maxlogins limit only, can also be used with %group syntax. If the % wildcard is used alone it is identical to using * with maxsyslogins limit. With a group specified after % it limits the total number of logins of all users that are member of the group. o an uid range specified as <min_uid>:<max_uid>. If min_uid is omitted, the match is exact for the max_uid. If max_uid is omitted, all uids greater than or equal min_uid match. o a gid range specified as @<min_gid>:<max_gid>. If min_gid is omitted, the match is exact for the max_gid. If max_gid is omitted, all gids greater than or equal min_gid match. For the exact match all groups including the user's supplementary groups are examined. For the range matches only the user's primary group is examined. o a gid specified as %:<gid> applicable to maxlogins limit only. It limits the total number of logins of all users that are member of the group with the specified gid. <type> hard for enforcing hard resource limits. These limits are set by the superuser and enforced by the Kernel. The user cannot raise his requirement of system resources above such values. soft for enforcing soft resource limits. These limits are ones that the user can move up or down within the permitted range by any pre-existing hard limits. The values specified with this token can be thought of as default values, for normal system usage. - for enforcing both soft and hard resource limits together. Note, if you specify a type of '-' but neglect to supply the item and value fields then the module will never enforce any limits on the specified user/group etc. . <item> core limits the core file size (KB) data maximum data size (KB) fsize maximum filesize (KB) memlock maximum locked-in-memory address space (KB) nofile maximum number of open files rss maximum resident set size (KB) (Ignored in Linux 2.4.30 and higher) stack maximum stack size (KB) cpu maximum CPU time (minutes) nproc maximum number of processes as address space limit (KB) maxlogins maximum number of logins for this user except for this with uid=0 maxsyslogins maximum number of all logins on system priority the priority to run user process with (negative values boost process priority) locks maximum locked files (Linux 2.4 and higher) sigpending maximum number of pending signals (Linux 2.6 and higher) msgqueue maximum memory used by POSIX message queues (bytes) (Linux 2.6 and higher) nice maximum nice priority allowed to raise to (Linux 2.6.12 and higher) values: [-20,19] rtprio maximum realtime priority allowed for non-privileged processes (Linux 2.6.12 and higher) All items support the values -1, unlimited or infinity indicating no limit, except for priority and nice. If a hard limit or soft limit of a resource is set to a valid value, but outside of the supported range of the local system, the system may reject the new limit or unexpected behavior may occur. If the control value required is used, the module will reject the login if a limit could not be set. In general, individual limits have priority over group limits, so if you impose no limits for admin group, but one of the members in this group have a limits line, the user will have its limits set according to this line. Also, please note that all limit settings are set per login. They are not global, nor are they permanent; existing only for the duration of the session. One exception is the maxlogin option, this one is system wide. But there is a race, concurrent logins at the same time will not always be detect as such but only counted as one. In the limits configuration file, the '#' character introduces a comment - after which the rest of the line is ignored. The pam_limits module does report configuration problems found in its configuration file and errors via syslog(3). EXAMPLES
These are some example lines which might be specified in /etc/security/limits.conf. * soft core 0 * hard nofile 512 @student hard nproc 20 @faculty soft nproc 20 @faculty hard nproc 50 ftp hard nproc 0 @student - maxlogins 4 :123 hard cpu 5000 @500: soft cpu 10000 600:700 hard locks 10 SEE ALSO
pam_limits(8), pam.d(5), pam(8), getrlimit(2)getrlimit(3p) AUTHOR
pam_limits was initially written by Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com> Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 LIMITS.CONF(5)