Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pop3 and imap problem
Operating Systems Linux pop3 and imap problem Post 44279 by skotapal on Wednesday 3rd of December 2003 09:07:54 AM
Old 12-03-2003
pop3 and imap problem

Hi all

I have a Redhat 8 box running sendmail-8.12.8-9.80. I use both imap and pop3 for clients to donwlaod mails. imap is used by some application related stuff. The users use opp3 to download their mails. The problem started a yesterday when 1 user complained that he was not able to download his mails:
I noticed the following in the /var/log/maillog:
Dec 2 17:27:49 MUSTANG ipop3d[16579]: Login user=<<username>> host=<<IP>>.cox.net [<<IP>>] nmsgs=1/1
Dec 2 17:29:54 MUSTANG ipop3d[16579]: Connection reset by peer while reading line user=<<username>> host=<<IP>.cox.net [<<IP>>]

All subsequent login attempts have had:
Dec 2 17:34:36 MUSTANG ipop3d[16669]: Login user=<<username>> host=<<IP>>cox.net [<<IP>>] nmsgs=1/1
Dec 2 17:38:40 MUSTANG ipop3d[16669]: Command stream end of file while reading line user=<<username>> host=<<IP>>cox.net [<<IP>>]

Only this one user has been having this problem.

Also there is a similar problem with the user that is using imap to poll a mailbox. He is however able to poll the mailbox and retrieve the mail.

What could be the cause of this? And how can I rectify this?

I did so some resaerch and could not find a satisfactory answer. The one answer I got was from http://www.polarhome.com:793/manual/...evel-2001a/FAQ
Said that this was due to the client not terminating the connection properly! But then how could it have started suddenly. The user has always been using the saem mail client for polling his mailbox\ (outlook express 6).

Thanx

KS

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pop3

hello dear friends I configured my dns in solaris 8 X86 pc and my sendmail, but i only can send email. i don't can receive email...... i saw inetd.conf and don't have the line of pop3. how can i add the line?and what the command? Thanks friends (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: themask
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cyrus Imap receiving via pop3?

Hi all, I'm building a webmail server (squirrelmail) using Cyrus IMAP... I just can't figure out how to receive pop3 email with imapd and sorting them in user email boxes.... Just right now I think it is not possible with Cyrus IMAP, but what program should I use them to receive pop3 email... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raymax83
2 Replies

3. Linux

pop3

Hi Can anybody help me for configuring pop3 mail account i linux i m using linux enterprise 3. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naik_mit
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Pop3 server problem

hi frnds Unable to connect to POP server mit.com. Error sending password: -ERR Bad login i m getting this problem in Ximain .I m using Redhat Enterprise 3. mit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naik_mit
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

fetchmail with pop3

once i used kmail (or sometimes outlook express) for my e-mail client. i had no problem with that. now being with unix console, i want to retrieve pop3 mails, using fetchmail. (where i can browse my mailbox(es) later) and it seems something i'm missing or do not understand. assuming my e-mail... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaguar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

POP3 and AIX

Here is my situation: I have an old AIX box(AIX 4.3.3) that runs an application absolutely crucial to the company. I am trying to set up one of my client machines (Windows 2000, Outlook Express) as a POP3 client. I cannot get the download to occur, so I look up the error code that Outlook... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jody
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

courier-imap auth problem

Hi, My box is freeBSD6 and I've installed courier-imap and I want to authenticate the clients against /etc/passwd file. Inside the configuration file: /usr/local/etc/courier-imap/pop3d I've not these lines : Why? AUTHMODULES="authdaemon" AUTHMODULES_ORIG="authdaemon" Nevertheless I tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: efrenba
5 Replies

8. IP Networking

Pop3

Opensuse Postfix ispconfig I would like to limit pop3 connections to three areas. 1. local, like 192. something 2. top domain for my Internet connection, like 204. something. 3. top domain for one other, like 270. something. What would be the easiest/best way to do this?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KillerDog
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with character @ inside username to use pop3 with nail

Hi: I am trying to read mails using pop3 protocol with the nail client. I have configurated the following files: .mailrc set NAIL_EXTRA_RC=~/.nailrc .nailrc shortcut myisp pop3://developers@afinformatica.com@mail.afinformatica.com set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chemi
2 Replies

10. Linux

uw-imap

Hi guys. Is uw-imap maintained? according to their ftp site last version is imap-2007e. is it good to use uw-imap instead of dovecot or other imap daemons? which one do you suggest? I really have problem with dovecot. it's configuration is complex(at least for me). I don't prefer much... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies
DOVEADM-KICK(1) 						      Dovecot							   DOVEADM-KICK(1)

NAME
doveadm-kick - Disconnect users by user name and/or IP address SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] kick [ -a anvil_socket_path] [-f] user doveadm [-Dv] kick [ -a anvil_socket_path] [-f] ip[/mask] doveadm [-Dv] kick [ -a anvil_socket_path] [-f] user ip[/mask] DESCRIPTION
doveadm's kick command is used to disconnect users by user name and/or the ip address, from which they are connected. In the first form, all users, whose login name matches the user argument, will be disconnected. In the second form, all users, connected from the given IP address or network range, will be disconnected. In the last form, only users connected from the given IP address or networks range and a matching login name will be disconnected. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. Command specific options: -a anvil_socket_path This option is used to specify an absolute path to an alternative UNIX domain socket. By default doveadm(1) will use the socket /var/run/dovecot/anvil. The socket may be located in another directory, when the default base_dir setting was overridden in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf. -f Enforce the disconnect, even when there are multiple users, from different networks, connected to a single process. This option may be only required when you have configured something like: service imap { ... client_limit = 1+n service_count = 0 ... } ARGUMENTS
ip[/mask] ip or ip/mask is the host or network, from which the users are connected. user Is a user's login name. Depending on the configuration, a login name may be for example jane or john@example.com. It's also possi- ble to use '*' and '?' wildcards (e.g. -u *@example.org). EXAMPLE
If you don't want to disconnect all users at once, you can check who's currently logged in. The first example demonstrates how to discon- nect all users whose login name is 3 characters long and begins with ba. doveadm who -1 ja* username proto pid ip jane imap 8192 ::1 james imap 8203 2001:db8:543:2::1 doveadm kick ba? kicked connections from the following users: bar baz The next example shows how to kick user foo's connections from 192.0.2.*. doveadm who -1 foo username proto pid ip foo imap 8135 fd95:4eed:38ba::25 foo imap 9112 192.0.2.53 foo imap 8216 192.0.2.111 doveadm kick foo 192.0.2.0/24 kicked connections from the following users: foo doveadm who f* username # proto (pids) (ips) foo 1 imap (8135) (fd95:4eed:38ba::25) REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1), doveadm-who(1) Dovecot v2.2 2010-06-12 DOVEADM-KICK(1)