Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: environmental varibles
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers environmental varibles Post 4425 by Xiix on Tuesday 24th of July 2001 05:09:52 PM
Old 07-24-2001
environmental varibles

flavor -- AIX 4.2.1

I am putting together some HTML pages, some of which contain forms. The problem pops up when I attempt to pass variables (from the forms) from one HTML page to a cgi-like page created using ksh.

I have used the $1 - $9 vars, but they do not work with the passing. With Perl I have done something close to this using $ENV.

The HTML tags (html, body, form . . .) all work within the ksh script, and I can echo new data into the page that the script creates, but I just can't get the form data from one page to pass to my ksh script.

My eye are weary from searching for the answer via uncountable web searches.

Thanks in advance guys and gals. . .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic Varibles problem

All, Any chance someone could help me with this.... The script is reading from a file and for every line of input to the loop I am trying to assign a new varible. When i run the script I get the below errors. I have come to a bit of a dead end so any pointers/help would be very much... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oconnon2
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

different way to echo varibles...help

Given the following loop: foreach id (DB4 GH4 CD4) and the previously defined variables: DB4sf DB4sfk DB4pp GH4sf GH4sfk GH4pp CD4sf CD4sfk CD4pp how do i echo all of these variables using a one line command in the for loop. If it was a script, and assuming the previously mentioned... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environmental Variable

Hi, I'm exporting an environmental variable from a C program using putenv function. I'm calling the exe of the C program from shell script. But when I display the environmental variables from the Shell script, My varaible is not getting displayed. Can anyone please tell me how to get it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janemary.a
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create ENV varibles

Hi, I want create env variable for "/ramakrsihna/scripts" help me on this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split varibles and store fields into shell varible array

I need to split a long varible which is a whole line read from a file into fields and store them in an array, the fields are delimited by pipe and a field may contain white spaces. I tried the following concept test and it has problem with field 5 which contain a space, appearently so because... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gratus
3 Replies

6. AIX

Environmental Problem

HI ALL, I invoked this command "errpt -a | more " then I got tis message in the server LABEL: EPOW_SUS_CHRP IDENTIFIER: BE0A03E5 Date/Time: Thu Apr 10 19:37:57 SAUS Sequence Number: 9038 Machine Id: 003AFDBC4C00 Node Id: jbvrprd Class: H... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple varibles in file

Working on a way to speed up my script output. I have a multiline file that I pull each line as a variable and post it on a webpage. It needs some help as it works but slow. I think I have too many cat, grep and sed going on but don't know what would work better. #!/bin/sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing varibles as a string argument ?

For example test.sh: test="teststring" cmd=$1 $cmd For some reason I'm NOT seeing "teststring" when I type: ./test.sh "echo $test" Any ideas on how to get around this? I've tried commands like: ./test.sh "echo $($test)" ./test.sh "echo '$test'" And many variations to no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: secops
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Environmental variable

i want to set environmental variables in solaris and redhat. it should show the current directory and the default shell should be bourne shell. along with it should show the hostname.. like this hostname{/home/vipin/data}# ifconfig Thanks in advanced.:wall: Please use code tags.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vipinkumarr89
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help Setting Path and Environment Varibles

Hello all, I have a Mac OS X (10.7), and I need to set environment variables and paths for some programs I will be running. I have followed instructions and searched the Web for where to do this, but I can't seem to find an answer. I have tried using the VIM editor to write them into my .login,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tyler_92
2 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)