Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Floppy drive problem.
Operating Systems BSD Floppy drive problem. Post 44194 by jsilva on Tuesday 2nd of December 2003 07:00:58 AM
Old 12-02-2003
Hi,

There're many ways to disable ACPI, but let's just unload the ACPI module from the kernel... I guess that FreeBSD R5.1 let's you disable ACPI from the "boot menu", option 2 ( at least it was planned this way ), otherwise, you can disable ACPI after boot with loader ( write at the loader command prompt "unset acpi_load", or ( the best way to this case ), disable it at the /boot/loader.conf file, adding exec="unset acpi_load" .

Good luck !

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing floppy drive with solaris 8 Intel version

Ok heres the situation, I bought solaris 8 (intel version) for my home pc to practice with, I'm having problems accessing my floppy drive, I thought it would be in my dev or devices folder but its not there Please help, I'm very new to unix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

scsi floppy drive addressing

Does anyone know of a site that documents the various addressing schemes used with SCSI floppy disk drives? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drew_Harrison
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 floppy drive problem

I have inserted a diskette but I don't see the files nor the floppy drive. These are the commands I ran. #volcheck -v #rmformat With rmformat, only the CD-ROM is listed. I don't see any floppy drive. How can I get my floppy drive to work?? I know it is connected b/c when I boot in XP, I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Sunfire 280R Can't Recognize Floppy Drive

Greetings all, I'm in a bit of a situation. I have this Sunfire 280R system that did not have a floppy drive in it, yet we needed one. We grabbed one from another Sun box we had laying around unused, and installed it. The system couldnt recognize it. Tried another floppy drive (non-sun) and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snackiesmores
4 Replies

5. SCO

mounting USB floppy drive /Flash drive in OSR 6.0

Can anybody help me out to mount USB flash /floppy drive in sco openserver 6.0 . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshdrajan
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Boot Floppy made in external drive

there is probably another post about this, i just can't find it on unix.com or google. basically, i am trying to make a boot floppy via CLI/terminal. the problem is that i use an external drive. when i do the first couple of steps, i get rejected. when i do the mounting and unmounting, all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
4 Replies

7. SCO

Sco 5.0.7 on ibm server, no floppy drive.

I cannot install sco on this particular ibm server because sco cannot find the raid controller and thefore the logical drive. I have a floppy disk that I use in other machines when boot: shows on the screen. I usually type restart link=ad320 and it works but this time i have no floppy drive. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iNetForce
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX System V Mount Floppy Drive

I have recently installed UNIX SysV on an old computer to try and expand my general knowledge of computers. I want to install NASM on it so I can begin working on some assembly language, but I am having trouble accessing the floppy disk with the files I need. I've tried running mount /dev/fd0... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrentBANKS
23 Replies
DEVICE.HINTS(5) 					      BSD File Formats Manual						   DEVICE.HINTS(5)

NAME
device.hints -- device resource hints DESCRIPTION
The device.hints file is read in by the boot loader(8) when the system is about to start, and its contents are passed to the kernel. It con- tains various variables to control the boot behavior of the kernel. These variables are typically ``device hints''. The file contains one variable per line. Lines starting with the '#' character are comments and are ignored by the boot loader. After the file is read by the boot loader, you may examine the variables with the show command, and may add a new variable, modify an exist- ing one, or delete a variable with the set and unset commands of the boot loader (see loader(8)). After the system has started, you can dump these variables with the kenv(1) command. DEVICE HINTS
Device hint variables are used by device drivers to set up the device. They are most often used by ISA device drivers to specify where the driver will probe for the relevant devices, and what resources it will attempt to use. A device hint line looks like: hint.driver.unit.keyword="value" where driver is the name of a device driver, unit is the unit number, and keyword is the keyword of the hint. The keyword may be: at specifies a bus to which the device is attached. port specifies the start address of I/O ports to be used by the device. portsize specifies the number of ports used by the device. irq is the interrupt line number to be used. drq is the DMA channel number. maddr specifies the physical memory address used by the device. msize specifies the physical memory size used by the device. flags sets various flag bits for the device. disabled can be set to "1" to disable the device. A device driver may require one or more hint lines with these keywords, and may accept other keywords not listed here, through resource_int_value(9). Consult individual device drivers' manual pages for available keywords and their possible values. FILES
/boot/device.hints Device resource hints file. /sys/ARCH/conf/GENERIC.hints Sample resource hints for the GENERIC kernel. /sys/ARCH/conf/NOTES Notes on the kernel configuration file and device resource hints. EXAMPLES
The following example sets up resources for the sio(4) driver on the ISA bus: hint.sio.0.at="isa" hint.sio.0.port="0x3F8" hint.sio.0.flags="0x10" hint.sio.0.irq="4" The following example disables the ACPI driver: hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" SEE ALSO
kenv(1), loader.conf(5), loader(8), resource_int_value(9) HISTORY
The device.hints file first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0. BSD
September 11, 2009 BSD