Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What exactly is BSD?
Operating Systems BSD What exactly is BSD? Post 44098 by Perderabo on Sunday 30th of November 2003 10:44:28 AM
Old 11-30-2003
Well, I'll take a crack at this...

BSD is basicly a version on UNIX in the same way that LINUX is basicly a version of UNIX. In the 80's, it was called BSD UNIX. It lost the legal right to call itself UNIX sometime in the '90's. The UNIX trademark is owned by the Open Group and they now decide if an OS may officially call itself "UNIX". Neither BSD nor LINUX has been blessed by the Open Group. (See What is UNIX?.)

BSD has been around a long time. It is the source of the entire sockets interface, the TCP/IP protocol stack, reliable signals, vfork(), select(), syncronous I/O, and secondary group membership. And they originated some non-kernel stuff too, like csh, vi, and sendmail. Without BSD, Unix would be a very different OS.

My first unix system was a System III, but the the vendor prominently claimed "with Berkeley Extensions". I think that was roughly 1979.

There are 3 viable distributions of BSD: NETbsd, OPENbsd, and FREEbsd.

I have to say that I find the BSD's to be rather alien. In contrast, I feel quite at home on a Linux system. But that is just one man's opinion. We have all three in operation at work. I don't work closely with any of them, but here is my impression of each...

NETbsd will run on any platform. It may be the most portable real OS ever written. For many systems, it's the only game in town. And it has a reputation for being easy to install. It is very stable and very fast. It would be the a good choice for a very heavily used ftp server or web server.

OPENbsd is a very secure OS. The only OS's more secure are military grade and propietary. It is tough to install and does not run on many systems. But it can safely be directly connected to the Internet. So for systems that must be outside a firewall, like nameservers or ntp clients, OPENbsd is the best choice. And it also is a good choice for running a firewall.

FREEbsd also does not run on many systems. And it is not an easy install either. But it has a reputation for being easy on end users. Apple's OS X has a version of unix called "darwin" which is actually FREEbsd. FREEbsd would be a good choice for a workstation.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies
CR_CANSEE(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					      CR_CANSEE(9)

NAME
cr_cansee -- determine visibility of objects given their user credentials SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/systm.h> #include <sys/ucred.h> int cr_cansee(struct ucred *u1, struct ucred *u2); DESCRIPTION
This function determines the visibility of objects in the kernel based on the real user IDs and group IDs in the credentials u1 and u2 asso- ciated with them. The visibility of objects is influenced by the sysctl(8) variables security.bsd.see_other_gids and security.bsd.see_other_uids, as per the description in cr_seeothergids(9) and cr_seeotheruids(9) respectively. RETURN VALUES
This function returns zero if the object with credential u1 can ``see'' the object with credential u2, or ESRCH otherwise. ERRORS
[ESRCH] The object with credential u1 cannot ``see'' the object with credential u2. [ESRCH] The object with credential u1 has been jailed and the object with credential u2 does not belong to the same jail as u1. [ESRCH] The MAC subsystem denied visibility. SEE ALSO
cr_seeothergids(9), cr_seeotheruids(9), mac(9), p_cansee(9) BSD
November 19, 2006 BSD