Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix security
Operating Systems HP-UX unix security Post 43940 by breigner on Tuesday 25th of November 2003 03:55:43 PM
Old 11-25-2003
unix security

Was wondering if anyone could answer two quick questions... 1) What is the best way to impliment password triviality checking and also checking to make sure a user does not use the same password twice. 2) is there any nice software out there to manage users on multiple machine as far as security and accounts. Both questions are for HP UX

Thanks
Brian

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Unix Security and auditing

I am starting an audit of unix security within our company and am looking for any information that may assist me with this. I am looking for any tips or pointers that I should be aware of when looking at unix. I am very new to unix so any help will do. Maybe there is someone out the that has had... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GW01
3 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Basic Unix Security

Has anyone got any info on Unix security - I'm after the very basics as I'm a complete beginner (OS level) Thanks Dutt'O (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DuttO
2 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix Security

Sorry, Unix file security Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DuttO
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Security in Unix - Documentation

Hello, I'm trying to find a Unix documentation about security! I mean I nead something very complex and complete, not just a document about kerberos, a document about securing against atack ... or others like those. I woulde like if exists, a documentation based on levels of security and expanding... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: octav
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux security

Hi all. I'm so new to Linux I don't even know where to start. I'm running sles 9 and I've had it up for 2 days now. I'd like to start with information on how to secure my server. I want to use it for hosting my personal web site and email eventually. Does anyone know of a good site that will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jreid08
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix vs Windows security

Hi to all, Asking which of the Unix and Windows platform is better may sound stupid...! But may I know what are the major differences between Unix and Windows in terms of security (authentication, access control, and complexity vs simplicit)? In which ways Unix does better than windows and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heroine
1 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Unix Security

this is a pretty good article that is a little dated, but still very informative at freeos.com. since this is Network Security for Dummies Q&A, maybe this should be the first step for unix.com users to check for general and more specific info on how to 'harden' their linux box. some of this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
8 Replies

8. HP-UX

Unix security

Is there anyway to trace where a user has logged in from. Someone this morning deleted some data but I only have the following info from the last command cromread pts/ta Wed Jul 22 06:55 - 06:57 (00:02) cromread pts/ta Wed Jul 22 06:43 - 06:46 (00:02) cromread pts/ta ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spiers
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Unix/Solaris security?

Hello Admins, I just have a curious question on unix passwords... As unix passwords are encrypted, so any hacker can took those passwds from etc/shadow and decrypt them using any algorithms....and using decryption, he can get the passwd and easily get into the system..... so how can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
4 Replies
PAM_PWHISTORY(8)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_PWHISTORY(8)

NAME
pam_pwhistory - PAM module to remember last passwords SYNOPSIS
pam_pwhistory.so [debug] [use_authtok] [enforce_for_root] [remember=N] [retry=N] [authtok_type=STRING] DESCRIPTION
This module saves the last passwords for each user in order to force password change history and keep the user from alternating between the same password too frequently. This module does not work together with kerberos. In general, it does not make much sense to use this module in conjunction with NIS or LDAP, since the old passwords are stored on the local machine and are not available on another machine for password history checking. OPTIONS
debug Turns on debugging via syslog(3). use_authtok When password changing enforce the module to use the new password provided by a previously stacked password module (this is used in the example of the stacking of the pam_cracklib module documented below). enforce_for_root If this option is set, the check is enforced for root, too. remember=N The last N passwords for each user are saved in /etc/security/opasswd. The default is 10. retry=N Prompt user at most N times before returning with error. The default is 1. authtok_type=STRING See pam_get_authtok(3) for more details. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the password module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTHTOK_ERR No new password was entered, the user aborted password change or new password couldn't be set. PAM_IGNORE Password history was disabled. PAM_MAXTRIES Password was rejected too often. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User is not known to system. EXAMPLES
An example password section would be: #%PAM-1.0 password required pam_pwhistory.so password required pam_unix.so use_authtok In combination with pam_cracklib: #%PAM-1.0 password required pam_cracklib.so retry=3 password required pam_pwhistory.so use_authtok password required pam_unix.so use_authtok FILES
/etc/security/opasswd File with password history SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) pam_get_authtok(3) AUTHOR
pam_pwhistory was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@thkukuk.de> Linux-PAM Manual 04/01/2010 PAM_PWHISTORY(8)