Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Quick perl question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Quick perl question Post 43897 by google on Monday 24th of November 2003 09:08:06 PM
Old 11-24-2003
Is this homework? I havent written any Perl other than a few simple excercises in the "Learning Perl" by OReilly. This is really a pretty good book, and I would probably learn alot more Perl if I were able to use it at work. As it stands now, my client does not allow any open source software!

Anyway, if I were in your shoes and had to learn something, I would start with this (First focus on making it work, then work at making it efficient):

Read in your arguments. I believe Perl has the C equivalent of argv and argc to process values off of the command line. See the variable <STDIN> to read in values.

Once you have figured out that much, then all you have to do is use a for loop and loop for the number of times entered in from the command line. For each iteration, print the string.

Because there are a number of ways to do things in Perl, you will more than likely be able to accomplish this task with very little code! However, you will get much more out of this excercise if you learn the structure of the program, make the program work like you want it to and then, learn the Perl way of doing things (i.e. fewest lines of source code possible)

Good Luck

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question

Hello There! I am trying to write this SIMPLE script in Bourne Shell but I keep on getting syntax errors. Can you see what I am doing wrong? I've done this before but I don't see the difference. I am simply trying to take the day of the week from our system and when the teachers sign on I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Quick VI question

This "SHOULD" be a simple question, but looking through several books has turned up nothing, so I turn once again to the experts!! How do you vi a file so that you can see special characters. I believe my /etc/passwd file is being corrupted during an upgrade process, however the files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Recon
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ok quick question

Hi i just wanted to know is there anyway to log the keystrokes on a remote computer? For example i let my nieces play on my other computer downstairs *my computer and the one downstairs are on a LAN* and i want to see everything they type in to make sure they arent doing anything they are supposed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question

Hi, Is there a simple way, using ksh, to find the byte position in a file that a stated character appears? Many thanks Helen (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question

Hello all, Quick question from a fairly new to Unix developer. if then completedLogFile=$logfile.$(date +%Y%m%d-%H:%M:%S) mv $logfile $completedLogFile fi I understand that this portion of code is simply copying a tmp logfile to a completed logfile when a condition is true. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnnyBoy
2 Replies

6. AIX

quick question

Hi, At best I'm a junior admin with a big problem. My developers have got my root password and mgmt insists they need it. I can't even change it when people knowing it leave. I'm certain they've hardcoded it into routines. I've searched my servers and grepped everything & can't find it. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: keith.m
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[B]Perl sort quick question[/B]

I've done a quick Google about this, but could not find the answer I want. Say, there is an array like this: @A = qw(cd1 a1 ef a2 hij a12 b2 b4 b22); I want to sort the array in the first order: @sorted = qw(a1 a12 a2 b2 b22 b4 cd1 ef hij); And second order: @sorted = qw(a1 a2 a12 b2 b4... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zx1106
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

quick question

I am using sed to find a pattern in a line and then I want to retain the pattern + the rest of the line. How is this possible? ie: line is: 14158 05-15-08 20:00 123-1234-A21/deliverable/dhm.a search for 123-1234-A21 ie: echo $line | sed 's/.*\(\{3\}-\{4\}-\{3\}\{5\}\).*/\1/' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phreezr
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - another quick hash of hashes question

Hi, sorry, two hash related questions in one day .. but this has got me a bit stuck. I have a mysql database table that kind of looks like this, the table is called "view1" and a snippet of that table (SELECT'ing just rows with serial number 0629AN1200) is below serial nic_name ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching - Quick Perl Question

Hi everyone I have a quick perl matching question. I have the following file, and I want to use perl to search through the 2nd column and see if it finds any of the month names (e.g.: Jan, Feb, Mar, ... Dec). Here's the file I'm trying to search, and here's the code I have so far. Any help... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucshi09a
5 Replies
bytes(3pm)                                               Perl Programmers Reference Guide                                               bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 bytes(3pm)