Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Packets Getting Lost
Top Forums Programming Packets Getting Lost Post 43857 by Perderabo on Monday 24th of November 2003 11:36:02 AM
Old 11-24-2003
The way you display network statistics varies from OS to OS. On HP-UX, I use "lanadmin" in interactive mode and use the "display" command. On recent versions of SunOS, I like the kstat command. For instance something like "kstat hme::hme0". I'd be a little surprised if either of these works on AIX. But I don't work on AIX so who knows.

It's been a while since I have personally used a sniffer, we have network people who do that. And anyway, each sniffer has its own instructions. But I can at least make a few general remarks. These days, a sniffer is a very high powered laptop...fast cpu, lot of memory, and all possible network connectors. No need for fast or large disks. You connect to the network and it records the traffic. You typically program it to look at traffic between specific boxes and/or specific protocols. Then it can display every packet sent by either box. And it can format the packets and highlight packets that look like an error occurred. Go to google and look for "network sniffer". A more formal name is "protocol analyser", but no one calls them that anymore.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending packets

How can i send a packet, and what is an empty packet? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avatar0fEvil
8 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Lost Data Lost Admin

First time so excuse my ignorance please. I may not be accurately describing the issue. I have inherited a small lab mostly SUN V120s. We lost power and are trying to recover. Nope no backups... The primary issue I have is 1 box is an Oracle Server. It has 2 36Gb harddrives. I am able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphsr
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

counting the packets

there are a number of clients connected to a server.... how can i count that each clients recieve ...? how do i moniter the activity of the client..? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damn_bkb
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumping network packets

Hi, My Solaris Workstation has got 4 NICS, out of which one of them(bge3) is unplugged from the rest of the external network & connected to other interface(bge1). The isolated NIC serves as a simulated Ethernet Interface for my application under development. Now, I'd like to capture RAW... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smanu
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ethernet packets counting

salutation experts, I want to counting arrival and outgoing packets in a specific interval (ethernet interface), what library or method you offer me that i can use it in c lang? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galaxy.ice
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

send packets

Hello I need to send some packets to check connection. Packets will be catch by snoop. Is there any Sun tool to send some packets on selected IP and Port? Thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miojamo
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

packets statistics

Hi there, are there any functions that can get the packets statistics on UNIX ? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
2 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

Capturing bad packets

Hello, SNMP reports from my Linux server a large number of "ipInAddrErrors" on several of my systems. According to one description, these packets are discarded datagrams due to: How do I determine what packets these are? Can tcpdump help? If so, can anyone suggest a filter? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otheus
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Missing packets between interfaces

I'm having issues with packets dropping somewhere on my firewall, between eth0 and eth2. Firewall is an Astaro box, essentially a pretty gui on top of modified sles10 using iptables. I started looking into this when people started reporting issues with their ssh connections to a particular... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demosthenes
3 Replies
ddi_intr_get_supported_types(9F)										  ddi_intr_get_supported_types(9F)

NAME
ddi_intr_get_supported_types - return information on supported hardware interrupt types SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/conf.h> #include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> int ddi_intr_get_supported_types(dev_info_t *dip, int *typesp); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI) dip Pointer to dev_info structure typesp Pointer to supported interrupt types The ddi_intr_get_supported_types() function retrieves the interrupt types supported by a particular hardware device and by the system soft- ware. Upon successful return, the supported types are returned as a bit mask in the integer pointed to by the typesp argument. See <sys/ddi_intr.h> for a list of interrupts that can be returned by a hardware device. For PCI devices that support MSI and/or MSI-X based hardware, this interface returns only the interrupt types that are supported by all the hardware in the path to the hardware device. An interrupt type is usable by the hardware device if it is returned by the ddi_intr_get_supported_types() function. The device driver can be programmed to use one of the returned interrupt types to receive hardware interrupts. The ddi_intr_get_supported_types() function returns: DDI_SUCCESS On success. DDI_EINVAL On encountering invalid input parameters. DDI_INTR_NOTFOUND Returned when the hardware device is found not to support any hardware interrupts. CONTEXT
The ddi_intr_get_supported_types() function can be called from user or kernel non-interrupt context. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pci(4), attributes(5), pcmcia(7D), sysbus(4), ddi_intr_add_handler(9F), ddi_intr_alloc(9F), ddi_intr_enable(9F) The ddi_intr_get_supported_types() function can be called by the device driver even at any time if the driver has added an interrupt han- dler for a given interrupt type. Soft interrupts are always usable and are not returned by this interface. Any consumer of this interface should verify that the return value is not equal to DDI_SUCCESS. Incomplete checking for failure codes could result in inconsistent behavior among platforms. 07 Apr 2005 ddi_intr_get_supported_types(9F)