Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Notify of a new thread
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Notify of a new thread Post 43763 by norsk hedensk on Friday 21st of November 2003 02:54:34 PM
Old 11-21-2003
well an email notification for any new thread might be a little too much of a hassle. and personally, i dont think it is needed. you might have overlooked this function of the site, which give you every new thread and new replies since your last visit.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RDIST tool notify option

Dear All, I am using Rdist to replicate some directories from one AIX server (say ukblx157) to another AIX server (say ukapx063). Rdist tool has a option called notify which sends mail after successfull completion of the replication activity & it also send mail in case of any error. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishal_ranjan
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Notify Command.

Hi, I am using the NOTIFY command and I am getting the emails.. I tried MAILX and e-mail is being sent. I want to use NOTIFY to see if my jobs are completed or not. Am I missing something.. All your ideas are greatly appreciated.. Thanks Venky (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkyA
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

notify-send does not notify real time

Hi, I am having a little trouble getting notify-send to work the way I would like it to. I am using ubuntu - karmic koala 2.6.31-19-generic #56-Ubuntu SMP So here's the problem run the following commands one after the other. notify-send -i info -t 100000 -- "Hi" "world" & notify-send -i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxpenguin
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cronjob to notify by mail

I am planning some tasks that I need send mails regularly to my team members. I think to use cronjob with script to do it. Two init files are prepared, I can change the format if you ask for. name.txt: Bill bill@xxx.com Peter peter@xxx.com James james@xxx.com Tasks_list.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newoz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A notify-send Question --

Greetings. I've come across a bit of a problem with notify-send syntax; and wondered if anyone out there had found a solution in the woodpile somewhere :) Here's the snippet which is giving me trouble:notify-send 'Text to display' image_data 300, 300, , , , , /etc/image.pngOutput:Invalid... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to notify of service down

Hi All I am trying to write a shell script that will notify via email if a particular service is down. What I have so far is a script in cron like his: #!/bin/sh cd /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/sparcv9 jps -m And the output of the above is 81529 Jps 52988 TaskControllerService... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Notify as soon as an error is encountered in a script

Hi, The script below works okay and emails me the log in the end once the script completes but what I'm trying to do is to also notify me via an email as soon as the script encounters any error whatsoever. cat test.list hdisk0 00a6351a2c832da1 rootvg ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
7 Replies
SIGEVENT(7)                                                  Linux Programmer's Manual                                                 SIGEVENT(7)

NAME
sigevent - structure for notification from asynchronous routines SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> union sigval { /* Data passed with notification */ int sival_int; /* Integer value */ void *sival_ptr; /* Pointer value */ }; struct sigevent { int sigev_notify; /* Notification method */ int sigev_signo; /* Notification signal */ union sigval sigev_value; /* Data passed with notification */ void (*sigev_notify_function) (union sigval); /* Function used for thread notification (SIGEV_THREAD) */ void *sigev_notify_attributes; /* Attributes for notification thread (SIGEV_THREAD) */ pid_t sigev_notify_thread_id; /* ID of thread to signal (SIGEV_THREAD_ID) */ }; DESCRIPTION
The sigevent structure is used by various APIs to describe the way a process is to be notified about an event (e.g., completion of an asyn- chronous request, expiration of a timer, or the arrival of a message). The definition shown in the SYNOPSIS is approximate: some of the fields in the sigevent structure may be defined as part of a union. Pro- grams should employ only those fields relevant to the value specified in sigev_notify. The sigev_notify field specifies how notification is to be performed. This field can have one of the following values: SIGEV_NONE A "null" notification: don't do anything when the event occurs. SIGEV_SIGNAL Notify the process by sending the signal specified in sigev_signo. If the signal is caught with a signal handler that was registered using the sigaction(2) SA_SIGINFO flag, then the following fields are set in the siginfo_t structure that is passed as the second argument of the handler: si_code This field is set to a value that depends on the API delivering the notification. si_signo This field is set to the signal number (i.e., the same value as in sigev_signo). si_value This field is set to the value specified in sigev_value. Depending on the API, other fields may also be set in the siginfo_t structure. The same information is also available if the signal is accepted using sigwaitinfo(2). SIGEV_THREAD Notify the process by invoking sigev_notify_function "as if" it were the start function of a new thread. (Among the implementation possibilities here are that each timer notification could result in the creation of a new thread, or that a single thread is cre- ated to receive all notifications.) The function is invoked with sigev_value as its sole argument. If sigev_notify_attributes is not NULL, it should point to a pthread_attr_t structure that defines attributes for the new thread (see pthread_attr_init(3)). SIGEV_THREAD_ID (Linux-specific) Currently used only by POSIX timers; see timer_create(2). SEE ALSO
timer_create(2), aio_fsync(3), aio_read(3), aio_write(3), getaddrinfo_a(3), lio_listio(3), mq_notify(3), aio(7), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU 2017-07-13 SIGEVENT(7)