Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Super Newbie!!!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Super Newbie!!!! Post 43674 by el_soldado on Thursday 20th of November 2003 06:40:42 PM
Old 11-20-2003
Super Newbie!!!!

im prolly wut people like to call a "LAMER"... hahahaha wutever

anyways im very new to unix.... the first time i ever used it was about 3 hours ago... anyways, im not a complete idiot... i know basic vb .net, java, javascript, ado .net, html (ofcourse).. and there are plently of other computer related topics i would like to say i have a basic understanding of.... i am in my second year of computer programming at a community college.... going to University of BC for computer science ... pretty excited about AI.. anyways... enough with the introduction and life story....

i need a guide... someone to guide me to the right places to learn unix/linux (online tutorials, books, wutever) anything and everything to help me learn would be greatly appreciated

unfortunately i have nothing to offer in return as i said before i am a LAMER hahaha.... lets just call me a beginner... i like that better...

well, that being said.... how 'bout some help from the l33t!!!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP as Super User

How do you FTP as a Super User? I need to send some files into a cgi-bin directory. I can telnet in as a SU but, cannot figure out how to do it with FTP. Thanks, Frank (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fbavent
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Super snoop (if it exists)

I am currently using 'snoop -t a -d hme0 blah blah' to get a line by line summary of packets sent and recieved at that interface, Is there any way I can get more detailed information/log on each packet, somebody told me there was another program that did this any help would be greatly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Super dumb questions by a newbie

Okay, I'm trying to get this new job and I was told they use Unix based systems, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I'm fairly knowledgable about computers and have heard about Unix many times before, but I am not at all familar with it. So here comes the dumb questions: What exactly... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjm22
8 Replies

4. HP-UX

BAD SUPER BLOCK - Run fsck with alternate super block number

Error received when I tried to restore a blank disk with an 'auto recovery' DDS tape via HP-UX recovery system 2.0 onto a 1Gb SCSI. I assumed it would do the setup, wrong. Could someone tell me the procedure to initial disk for recovering files using cpio. The system is a HP-UX 9.04 version on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin wanabee
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

7. Linux

CentOS on Super Computers

Hi all, This is a good news for CentOS fans , It seems that CentOS found its way to Super Computers for details (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
1 Replies
machid(1)							   User Commands							 machid(1)

NAME
machid, sun, iAPX286, i286, i386, i486, i860, pdp11, sparc, u3b, u3b2, u3b5, u3b15, vax, u370 - get processor type truth value SYNOPSIS
sun iAPX286 i386 pdp11 sparc u3b u3b2 u3b5 u3b15 vax u370 DESCRIPTION
The following commands will return a true value (exit code of 0) if you are using an instruction set that the command name indicates. sun True if you are on a Sun system. iAPX286 True if you are on a computer using an iAPX286 processor. i386 True if you are on a computer using an iAPX386 processor. pdp11 True if you are on a PDP-11/45tm or PDP-11/70tm. sparc True if you are on a computer using a SPARC-family processor. u3b True if you are on a 3B20 computer. u3b2 True if you are on a 3B2 computer. u3b5 True if you are on a 3B5 computer. u3b15 True if you are on a 3B15 computer. vax True if you are on a VAX-11/750tm or VAX-11/780tm. u370 True if you are on an IBM(R) System/370tm computer. The commands that do not apply will return a false (non-zero) value. These commands are often used within makefiles (see make(1S)) and shell scripts (see sh(1)) to increase portability. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
make(1S), sh(1), test(1), true(1), uname(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The machid family of commands is obsolete. Use uname -p and uname -m instead. SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 machid(1)