Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: squid monitoring tool
Special Forums IP Networking squid monitoring tool Post 43624 by jsilva on Wednesday 19th of November 2003 06:32:49 PM
Old 11-19-2003
Hi,

What do you want to monitor ?
I remember when I used squid ( two years ago ), I added support for SNMP at the compilation time and then with MRTG ( http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/ ) I could measure and generate graphics of traffic in/out amongst other things...

Last edited by jsilva; 11-19-2003 at 07:53 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Infrastructure Monitoring

Free monitoring tool on Unix

Dear All, Any one used free monitoring tool on HP machines (unix) , what is the most easy to install and configure (MRTG, Cricket, or Zabbix) ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salhoub
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Monitoring Tool

Hi guys, I have 8 Tru64 machines here and i want to monitor them. What open source tool i can use? Like i want to monitor the hard disk space,memory,connectivity etc. Before im using Nagios, is this applicable to UNIX? tnx. jeff (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jefferson
1 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Unix Monitoring tool

Hi all, Please let me know the most using, perfect unix monitoring tool and the link for downloading the tool. It should have network server monitoring on all aspect(working users, memory usage, working services, disk space etc). Thanks Rath (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshp
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware monitoring free tool

Folks; What is a good free tool i can use on my SUSE10 to monitor the hardware so i can be notified in case of any failure such as fan failure, etc..? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Network monitoring tool for Solaris 10

Hi All, I was wondering if there is any Network Monitoring Tool for Solaris 10 to monitor a network having hybrid operating systems. I just googled it without success. Hope, experts will guide me to get it. Thanks, Deepak (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
0 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Network monitoring tool for Solaris 10

Hi All, I was wondering if there is any Network Monitoring Tool for Solaris 10 to monitor a network having hybrid operating systems. I just googled it without success. Hope, experts will guide me to get it. Thanks, Deepak (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
7 Replies

7. AIX

AIX Monitoring Tool - under preparing

Guy's AIX Monitoring Tool - under preparing ..... I'm working to make and prepare tool to monitor AIX system and my idea it's based on the following outputs I want command to give me shout outpous about the following ... CPU load Memory load Used load Number of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
5 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

what is the best free monitoring tool?

hello everybody, please could you tell me what is the best monitoring tool "Free" to monitoring sun servers in my DC. BR, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxim42
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Recommendations on GRAPHICAL Monitoring Tool

Need assistance in finding a Graphical Monitoring tool open source for Centos , REDHAT linux which doesnt require "root" to compile the tool. Tool that does performance monitoring for Disk usage, CPU, Memory ,Network stats Need install and configure steps as well . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Suggestion for System Monitoring Tool

We have AIX and RHEL. Need suggestion for system monitoring tool for AIX and RHEL. Free or paid is fine as I would like to compare. Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiasu
3 Replies
FAQ(1)								       mrtg								    FAQ(1)

NAME
help - How to get help if you have problems with MRTG SYNOPSIS
MRTG seems to raise a lot of questions. There are a number of resources apart from the documentation where you can find help for mrtg. FAQ
Alex van den Bogaerdt <alex@ergens.op.Het.Net> maintains the MRTG FAQ website on http://faq.mrtg.org In the following sections you find some additonal Frequently Asked Questions, with Answers. Why is there no "@#$%" (my native language) version of MRTG Nobody has contributed a @#$%.pmd file yet. Go into the mrtg-2.9.17/translate directory and create your own translation file. When you are happy with it send it to me for inclusion with the next mrtg release. I need a script to make mrtg work with my xyz device. Probably this has already been done. Check the stuff in the mrtg-2.9.17/contrib directory. There is a file called 00INDEX in that directory which tells what you can find in there. How does this SNMP thing work There are many resources on the net, explaining about SNMP. Take a look at this article from the Linux Journal by David Guerrero: http://www.develnet.es/~david/papers/snmp/ And at this rather long document from CISCO http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/snmp.htm The Images created by MRTG look very strange. Remove the *-{week,day,month,year}.png files and start MRTG again. Using MRTG for the first time, you might have to do this twice. This will also help, when you introduce new routers into the cfg file. What is my Community Name? Ask the person in charge of your Router or try 'public', as this is the default Community Name. My graphs show a flat line during an outage. Why ? Well, the short answer is that when an SNMP query goes out and a response doesn't come back, MRTG has to assume something to put in the graph, and by default it assumes that the last answer we got back is probably closer to the truth than zero. This assumption is not per- fect (as you have noticed), it's a trade-off that happens to fail during a total outage. If this is an unacceptable trade-off,use the unknaszero option. You may want to know what you're trading off, so in the spirit of trade-offs, here's the long answer: The problem is that MRTG doesn't know *why* the data didn't come back, all it knows is that it didn't come back. It has to do something, and it assumes it's a stray lost packet rather than an outage. Why don't we always assume the circuit is down, and use zero, which will (we think) be more nearly right? Well, it turns out that you may be taking advantage of MRTG's "assume last" behaviour without being aware of it. MRTG uses SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) to collect data, and SNMP uses UDP (User Datagram Protocol) to ship packets around. UDP is connectionless (not guaranteed) - unlike TCP where packets are tracked and acknowledged and, if needed, re-transmitted, UDP just throws packets at the network and hopes they arrive. Sometimes they don't. One likely cause of lost SNMP data is congestion, another is busy routers. Other possibilities include transient telecommunications prob- lems, router buffer overflows (which may or may not be congestion-related), "dirty lines" (links with high error rates), and acts of God. These things happen all the time, we just don't notice because many interactive services are TCP-based and the lost packets get retransmit- ted automatically. In the above cases where some SNMP packets are lost but traffic is flowing, assuming zero is the wrong thing to do - you end up with a graph that looks like it's missing teeth whenever the link fills up. MRTG interpolates the lost data to produce a smoother graph which is more accurate in cases of intermittent packet loss. But with V2.8.4 and above, you can use the "unknaszero" option to produce whichever graph is best under the conditions typical of your network. AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <oetiker@ee.ethz.ch> 3rd Berkeley Distribution 2.9.17 FAQ(1)