Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Training
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX Training Post 43602 by rhfrommn on Wednesday 19th of November 2003 12:16:34 PM
Old 11-19-2003
Here is a link to their current Unix catalog page;

http://www.netg.com/Catalog_cms/topi...p=6&c=10&s=246

The titles I got are no longer listed. From memory (meaning I have the subjects right but the exact wording may be slightly off) they were:

Intro to Unix
Unix - Intermediate Topics
Unix - Advanced Topics
Unix System Administration
Advanced Unix System Administration
TCP/IP Networking
Unix Shell Programming

They are general courses on Unix, not a specific flavor. I see in their current catalog that they have specific courses for Linux, Solaris, SCO, and HP/UX. I think what I got may be better if you're just starting out and want to get a good foundation instead of concentrating on one particular variety of Unix, but I guess that is a matter of opinion.

As far as Sun being the way to go, I agree to a point. I see as many job listings for Sun in my area as Linux, AIX and HPUX combined. However, knowing multiple Unix OSes is the best way to go, most medium to big companies will have more than one vendor in their datacenter.

A final note - if you're interested in Unix as a career path stick with it. You have to be smart and willing to always work hard and learn. But once you can get a job and some experience under your belt it can be a great career. Just always keep up on the technical side of things and don't let yourself fall behind. I have lots of friends who have been unemployed for a long time because their skillsets aren't as popular any more.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Fundamentals - Training

Does anyone know of some companies in the United States, preferably close to Utah that teach a crash course like for a week on UNIX fundamentals? I have looked everywhere on the net for such places, but have yet to find such a company. Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quintak
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unix Familiarisation Training

As a civilian Admin clerk with a government dept I have been asked to locate a training firm who provides Unix familiarisation training - this request has come from a dept which includes Air Traffic Controller & Radio Technicians. I am not personally familiar with Unix and have been unable to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Heather K-Ryan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix training Video's

Hello any body knows a website that can Purchase and download Video training for unix ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wickedsoul
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Training?

At work I have to restart applications and install upgrades to applications running on Solaris 10. Its pretty basic stuff but I have little experience of Unix so it can be a bit hairy at times. Work have offered to send me on some training but I have to select the course/training. I'm not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Training-where, when etc.

I'm being asked to go and take a training course in Advanced Unix and Perl. The main reason is the amount of information needed to get up to speed a short period of time, which is what we're limited on. Travel is fine. Can anyone suggest a good resource for researching the where and when for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gavineq
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

training unix set up for a p.c.

I'm looking for a free unix download(for a p.c. which I think is running xp) to simulate or mirror a unix operating system to teach a friend basic unix skills for an interview. I saw the solaris link, but couldn't really tell if it would work on a p.c. And I don't want to mess with his operating... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmtemp
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/solaris training

I am new to UNIX and somewhat familiar with Solaris. Can you suggest any good (simple English) books that can help me with understanding and learning UNIX? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic UNIX Training

I'm wondering where a good place to start is for basic UNIX training. Due to a shift of responsibilities at work, I am now the admin for a product called AutoSys. I have close to zero knowledge in the subject area. :wall: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cjw_55106
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix online training

Hi, I am very new to unix shell scripting.I want to learn shell scripting to a moderate level. could any one of you suggest me who can give an online training on unix shell scripting . I am opting for online training as I am working in day hours . If any experts here are giving any online... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhu_kumar
2 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)