Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sun bootable tape backup
Operating Systems Solaris Sun bootable tape backup Post 43487 by jsilva on Tuesday 18th of November 2003 10:58:53 AM
Old 11-18-2003
Hi,

There's no such thing as mksysb for Solaris... the best procedure is to boot from CD and then restore using the tape...

The /home directory on Solaris is used for mounting NFS home directories from remote servers... use /export/home instead.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Backup

I have a script which runs overnight to backup a database into a tar file. I then gzip the file and send it off to a tape device. The command I'm using for the tape backup is tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n /var/dbbackup/${FILE}.gz I thought the n meant no rewind so the next file is copied to tape... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattd
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Bootable solaris cd backup

Hi ppl! Does anyone know of how to make a bootable solaris cd backup :confused: i have mkisofs installed and plan to burn the bootable image on pc with cdwriter on it... thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to have bootable backup?

In my present dual boot (Fedora Core 4 & WinXP2003 Server) desktop computer, I have redundant 100GB disk drives. Every so often I boot fedora core 4 and telinit 1 cp /dev/sda /dev/sdb and then I reverse the connections to the drives so I boot from the newly created copy. I just ordered... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

6. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to create a bootable tape

Good morning, I have no unix training. My daily backup failed with the following error. ' Cannot create /tmp/tape.bootimage because it already exists. I am using smit to run a rootvg and SAPvg backup. What should I do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ubyankees
1 Replies

8. AIX

Bootable Encrypted Backup

Is there a utility available to make such a backup? Is this idea even possible? Thanks for the help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwh2011
5 Replies

9. AIX

Can I use mkdvd to create bootable DVD from mksysb on tape

Hi, Is it possible to use mkdvd to create a bootable DVD using a mksysb on tape as the source image? On the system concerned, we don't have enough free space to create the mksysb to file first, so would like to use the existing tape mksysb backup. The DVD disk/s will then be used to boot a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanp36
4 Replies
mnthome(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						mnthome(1)

NAME
mnthome -- mount an AFP (AppleShare) home directory with the correct privileges SYNOPSIS
mnthome [-v] [-d] [-m mntpath] [-n] [-b] [-p password] [-i] [-x mount point] [-u] [-s] DESCRIPTION
The mnthome command unmounts the AFP (AppleShare) home directory that was automounted as guest, and remounts it with the correct privileges by logging into the AFP server using the current username and password. This command also allows you to have guest access turned off on your AFP server too and still have AFP home directories work with "su". When you ssh into another computer using an account that has an AFP home directory or you "su <netuser>" where <netuser> is an AFP home directory user, then the resulting home directory will not have the correct access privileges. This is because automount is assuming NFS behavior which assumes that all computers share the same user/group privileges and mounts volumes using "no security" and lets the client enforce privileges based on the current user. AFP is different since the privileges are based on the user that logged into the server. Since automount does not put up an authentication dialog asking for an user name and password, automount mounts the fileserver using guest login. Thus you end up with getting the world access privileges and the privileges are shown via "mapping". You also would have to allow guest access to the server to that sharepoint. Mapping makes all the files/folders appear like they are owned by the current user. Even those items not really owned by the current user show up as being owned by the current user. The server provides user access rights (UARights) which is a summary of what the access rights are regardless of the category (owner, group, world) from which they were obtained. When doing "mapping", the AppleShare client will take these UARights and show them as the owner rights. So, everything looks like it is owned by the current user and the owner rights are set to the UARights. Thus if you had access to that file/folder before, then you still do. The options are: -v Display version number. -d Print debugging information. -m Alternative mount point is specified with the -m option followed by a path to an existing directory. Normally, the volume is mounted in /Network/Servers/ or /var/automount/Network/Servers/. -n Do not force the unmount of the previous mount point. -b Exec the user's shell after mount of home. -p A password may be specified with the -p option followed by a password. If this option is not used, then the user will be prompted to enter in a password. -i Display information about the AFP home mount point. -u Attempt to unmount the current home directory mount. -x This option must be followed by a path to an existing AFP mount point. Display information about the mount point. -s Skip preflight check to see if the currently mounted home directory is already correctly mounted for the user. EXAMPLES
The following example illustrates how to mount an AFP home directory: mnthome This example shows how to print the debugging information and provide a password: mnthome -d -p foobar SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), mount(8) mount_afp(8) BUGS
I get the mounting url from the "home_loc" attribute and the mountpath from the "home" attribute (with the path from home_loc subtracted out). If your AFP home directory automounts in a different location, then you need to use the -m option to specify an alternative mount point. I cant figure out how to cd out of the current home dir so I can do the unmount and then restore the user back into the new home dir. If you are in the AFP home directory when you use mnthome, you automatically get put back into that same directory when mnthome leaves. If mnthome works, then your current directory is a dead directory and you need to "cd ~" to get to your new home directory. If the server with the home directory was already mounted by another user, you will not be able to replace it with a mount made by your user id. The original mount must be first unmounted by the mounting user or root. HISTORY
The mnthome command first appeared Mac OS X version 10.3. RETURN VALUES
0 mnthome successfully remounted the AFP home directory. [EINVAL] Invalid arguements were passed in. [EPERM] The current AFP home directory could not be unmounted by mnthome because the current user does not have the correct access. The current AFP home directory was probably mounted by another user first. [EAUTH] Incorrect password. Mac OS X August 4, 2004 Mac OS X