Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk or sed or paste
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk or sed or paste Post 43370 by leprichaun on Sunday 16th of November 2003 05:13:25 PM
Old 11-16-2003
awk or sed or paste

i have a file and i need the text to line up
currently the file looks like so

job scheduled complete
12 12:00 wendsday
13 1:00 wednsday

its a text file but not sure how to manipulate the file for it to line up

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace paste utility with sed/awk

hi I have two file that I would like to paste line by line. I use to use paste for this. But my current platform will not have paste utility. Could anyone please suggest how I it can be done using sed,awk or even simple bourne shell scripts? Thanks Sabina (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssayeed
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with paste ... columnwise

Hi, I'm trying to plot some data using the awk to find and parse the data and then use gnuplot to plot it up. I'd like to plot one or more range cells (let the user decide!). I've been able to write up the code such that I can plot one range cell per plot, but I just can't see how to get more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dpath2o
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending several columns with awk and paste

Hello, I am trying to solve for a couple of hours now the following problem: I have n files and would like to add the third column of each file to a new file: temp1.txt 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 temp2.txt 1 2 4 1 2 4 1 2 4 1 2 4 temp3.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: creamcheese
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut and paste using awk

Hi i need a favour i have a file which has some trillions of records. The file is like this 11111000000000192831840914000000000000000000000000000 45789899090000000000000000011111111111111111111111111 I want to cut specific postions in each line like cut1-3 and assisgn it to a variable and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: richa2.m
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy/paste with awk

Hi everybody, I have two XML files. I am working on a script that could copy and paste the contents of the first xml file to the desired location in the second xml file. Here is my first XML file. This is the second XML file. Finaly, I wnat to obtain something like that : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsaas
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste value at specific column using sed

Hi I want to paste some value at specific column in a file using sed. say I want to add "Welcome to UNIX" from column 300 onwards in a file using sed. How to do it . ---------- Post updated at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:09 AM ---------- Adding more information : I... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed copy paste

Hello, I have this path and file: /dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/THIS_SPOT/fle.txt I want to end up with: /dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/THIS_SPOT/fle.txtTHIS_SPOT Take the dir after the 10th slash, add a tab at the end and paste the dir it copied. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to copy/paste with slashes and tabs.

I have: 2012/01_January/Kite/foldername/otherfoldername/placeholderBlue I want to end up with: /foldername/otherfoldername/2012/01_January/Kite/Blue Basically take everything before the first tab and put it in the place of the consistently named word placeholder and add a slash in place... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed/awk to do like copy and paste

I have rrd file which is have the gaps and I want to fill it out with some value , I've got 10 NaN record and I try to populate data from 10 records be for NaN to change instead of NaN :( <!-- 2016-05-19 14:10:00 CST / 1463638200 -->... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: boobytrap
11 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)