Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ftp permissions error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ftp permissions error Post 4334 by Optimus_P on Tuesday 24th of July 2001 09:15:23 AM
Old 07-24-2001
as yellowfish said. It deffinetly sounds like a permission problem on either the NT server or the Unix Directory you are trying to upload to.

It is kinda fuzzy but what i make out is you get an error when pulling files from the UNIX (files resides here) => NT. correct? if so from the error you stated sounds like a UNIX permission problem. If it is NT (file resides here) => UNIX. then it would be a NT permission problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp file with full permissions

I am running sco openserver 5.0.6 and I was wondering if I could ftp files to one of my other servers and that file have full permissions set automatically on the new server. I have searched the internet and manned chmod chown and ftp but they only seem to talk about giving the permissions after... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stufine
7 Replies

2. HP-UX

Insufficient permissions on ftp'ed files from WIN2K to HP-UX

We have an application running on Win2K and this application ftp files to HP-UX using ftpdc as user id. The files are created in HP-UX with following permissions: -rw-r----- 1 ftpdc users 968321 Apr 12 22:57 aaaa.txt There is a job that runs on HP-UX trying to modify this file using the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anamika
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenBSD Ftp permissions problems - help!!

Hello, Ok I have a couple of little problems that I can't for the life of me work out how to solve. I wasn't involved in setting the server up, I've just "inherited" the support for it. I've done my best to be a good little newbie, researched articles, tried things out and managed to only get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andy68man
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to run my own FTP server without root permissions

Hi all, I need your help with this problem. I have my own ftp server implemented in java. If I start it as root it is successfully binded to port 21 and everything works. Now I want to run it as non-root user, but for binding to port 21 it needs root rights. How to solve it? I alrady try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giorgione
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to retain file permissions during FTP on Solaris 5.9 ?

Hi All, I am trying to ftp a file : -rw-rw-rw- 1 oraclepbdw dba filename.txt from Machine A ( where umask is 022) to Machine B (umask 022) but the file changes to -rw-rw-r-- 1 ftpamle3 ftaml filename.txt Dur some constraints the group of the users on either side... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravsachan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Permissions

Hi Guys, I am trying to grant FTP acccess to my server for a WebDesigner to be able to upload live and see how it looks online. I created a new user (WebDes:tomcatUsers) and created his home dir as /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/uPhoto/ and then made sure he CHROOT's to his home dir so he only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boarderstu
1 Replies

7. AIX

FTP file permissions

Hi all, I am using ftp command to transfer a file from one AIX5.3 box to different box with the same OS level. Is there a way I could change the permissions on the file once its transferred, as I am automating the process but the file permissions on the target does not allow other users to access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permissions on ftp...

hi, how can I see permissions through ftp connection ? I can't see them using "ls -l" as in the local system.. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions Issues FTP server

Hi all, Quick question, im going to find this a bit hard to explain but ill give it a go. Basically i have an admin account on an FTP server that i want to be able to control ALL files without having to use sudo (as i need to run cron scripts to move files that are owned by a number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP loses write permissions

Hi Guys, i have learned today that when you ftp a file with full write permissions (777) to another destination it loses the w options. so a file that was once -rwxrwxrwx(before FTP) is now -rw-r--r-- (after FTP). why does this happen? and is it configurable? Regards, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
8 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)