Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Who is the current user
Top Forums Programming Who is the current user Post 43312 by linuxpenguin on Friday 14th of November 2003 06:30:37 PM
Old 11-14-2003
how about
getuid() function

And really you cannot get the password of the user logged in, however you can get it in the way it is stored, but it wont make much sense. you can use the getpwnam() function

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find password for current user in unix box

hi all, kindly let me know the command to get password and user for current user in unix. thanks in advance. --Bali Reddy.Y (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To look for occurrences of the current user

I have crated a file xx wth env redirected into it 5 times n couldnot proceed further n next we have to create a script that takes 1 argument being a file, in this instance we use the newly created file above xx(xx file contains the env redirected into it 5 times) read the inputted file, in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby36
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying current user process

When I typed in ps -a I get this: PID TTY TIME CMD 31799 pts/3 00:00:00 vim 31866 pts/3 00:00:00 vim And to check who is currently logged in, I type who Felix Whoals Tada Whoals Lala Whoals How can I get the user process for all current users who logged in?? I think I need to combine... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep current user

I'm trying to write a grep command that will be good for the current user of the command but it doesn't work on my server with bash shell. On the server with tcsh I used: last | grep "$user" and the current user could see how many times they logged on this month. On the other server it doesn't... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveu
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get current logged in user from a script run as root.

Ok, so, in order to install some dependencies of a program I made, a script has to be run as root. The thing is that I have to copy some things into the home folder of currently logged in user, but the variable $HOME returns '/root' and the $USER returns 'root' :( Is there any way to see who is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

current logged in user

Hey guys I need a script that reads a login name and verifies if that user is currently logged in i have found few commands like "who" and "users" but i wonder how can i verify it that login name is logged in or not? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps - list where UID is numeric or name and for current user

Hi, 'ps -ef' returns output of the following format UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD root 17573 1 0 Sep12 tty6 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty tty6 hpsmh 18150 14864 0 Sep12 ? 00:00:00 /opt/hp/hpsmh/sbin/hpsmhd -DSSL -f /opt/hp/hpsmh/conf/smhpd.conf root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to access current user's mailbox.

In any non-root account, whenever I enter mail, it gives me: /var/spool/mail/root: Permission deniedI am not logged in as root, why is mail accessing root's mailbox ? I am unable to enter the currently logged in user's mailbox. Any help is appreciated :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List Process running under current user

Hi, i need to list the processes running only under current logged in user. EX: $ whoami oraaqw $ ps -ef | grep tnslsnr oraaqw 11403300 19267592 0 09:14:47 pts/3 0:00 grep tnslsnr oraaqw 15794208 1 0 Jan 14 - 11:59... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindadla
6 Replies
dxchpwd(1X)															       dxchpwd(1X)

NAME
dxchpwd - Create or change password program SYNOPSIS
dxchpwd dxchpwd -r | -l dxchpwd [-r | -l] -q dxchpwd [-r | -l] -u username OPTIONS
If dxchpwd is invoked without any options, it is assumed that the current user's password is to be changed. The following options are also accepted: Tells dxchpwd that the password change is to be done for a Local user. This can be combined with the -u and -q options. Tells dxchpwd that the password change is to be done for a NIS user. This can only be done from a NIS master and can be combined with the -u and -q options. Tells dxchpwd to query the user for the user name of the account whose password is to be changed. Tells dxchpwd to change this user's password. DESCRIPTION
The dxchpwd command lets you change your password. When you invoke the dxchpwd command, the program prompts you for the old password and then for the new password. Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly. Note that the passwords are not displayed on the screen. Your new password must meet the length requirements specified by the authorization database for the user whose password is being changed. If your system is running with enhanced security, you may have to choose a password from a list of randomly generated passwords or you may be prohibited from changing your password until its minimum lifetime has expired, as specified in the authorization database. EXAMPLES
The following example requests that the password be changed for user smith: dxchpwd -u smith FILES
Password file Protected Password Database dxchpwd executable SEE ALSO
X(1X), xdm(1X), passwd(1) dxchpwd(1X)