Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk printf problem
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users awk printf problem Post 43247 by Perderabo on Thursday 13th of November 2003 10:06:56 PM
Old 11-13-2003
awk uses double precision floating point. There is a limit to its accuracy and your data exceeds that limit.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

disturbing problem with PRINTF() !!

hello everybody, here is my problem: ________________________________________ #include <stdio.h> int main() { int i=10; printf("value is %i",i); return 0; } _________________________________________ when i compile and execute, nothing appears on screen!! but if i replace the printf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brain_processin
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: printf indentation problem

hi all, im having a problem with using perl printf. my requirement is to print a string (like ) at the right most end of the screen. i tried this perl script, but it fails with an error; #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my $scrW = 0; my $str = `stty size`; # get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolwy_pete
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf problem

I have the following code: $ awk '{ printf "%-10s %s\n", $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $5, $6 }' file i can only print the first 2 elements ($1,$2). How can i print all the elements to appear like this: aardvark 5555553 jhfjhfjkg efiigig ejkfjkej wjkdjk alpo-net 5553412 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DDoS
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk printf problem

Hi, I've got a basic problem using printf statement in awk. I want to write float values with always 8 characters width. Examples : 1.345678 12.45678 123.4567 1234.678 -23.5678 -2.45678 -23456.8 ..... I cannot find the right printf format %8.1f, %7.5f.... Can anyone help ?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cazhot
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and printf

echo $bbsize 1.5 echo $fillpercent .95 echo $bbsize | awk '{printf "%.2f\n",$0*$fillpercent}' 2.25 echo $bbsize | awk '{printf "%.2f\n",$0*.95}' 1.42 1.42 is what I'm expecting... echo $blocksize 4096 echo $bbsize | awk '{printf "%.2f\n",$0*$blocksize}' 2.25 echo $bbsize |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF and awk/printf

Hi Friends, Scripting newb here. So I'm trying to create a geektool script that uses awk and printf to output certain fields from top (namely command, cpu%, rsize, pid and time, in that order). After much trial and error, I've pretty much succeeded, with one exception. Any process whose name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thom.mattson
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf problem

I am having a major problem with printf, The more I pad it, the less I see :( The problem is in the first function, report Am I ruining output somewhere? I wont print out the names propely, it cuts them off or deletes them completely :( #!/bin/bash report() { printf "%-10s" STUD# ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: L0ckz0r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf problem

In one of the scripts I am using pintf function as following printf "%s%s%s\n" "$f1" "$f2" "$f3" f3 variable contains a string of 10 characters. However it has value first 7 character and last 3 characters are empty. Example Aaaaaaa<3 spaces> bbbbbbb<3 spaces> ccccccc<3 spaces>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunrbs
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with printf

Hi, I am using the following code to assign a count value to a variable. But I get nothing. Do you see anything wrong here. I am new to all this. $CTR=`remsh $m -l $MACHINES{$m} -n cat $output | grep -v sent | grep \"$input\" | sort -u | awk '{print $5}'`; Upto sort - u it's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nurani
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with printf in shell script

i have written small script as follows: name="hi hello" printf "%-20s" $name This gives me strange output. -20s format is applied on both word of string. i.e it displays both word hi and hello in space of 20 length. I want to display entire string "hi hello" in length of 20 space. plz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: admc123
2 Replies
exp(3m) 																   exp(3m)

Name
       exp, expm1, log, log10, log1p, pow - exponential, logarithm, power

Syntax
       #include <math.h>

double exp(x)
       double x;

float fexp(x)
       float x;

double expm1(x)
       double x;

float fexpm1(x)
       float x;

double log(x)
       double x;

float flog(x)
       float x;

double log10(x)
       double x;

float flog10(x)
       float x;

double log1p(x)
       double x;

float flog1p(x)
       float x;

double pow(x,y)
       double x,y;

Description
       The and functions return the exponential function of x for double and float data types, respectively.

The and functions return exp(x-1 accurately, including tiny x for double and float data types, respectively.

The and functions return the natural logarithm of x for double and float data types, respectively.

The and functions return the logarithm of x to base 10 for double and float data types, respectively.

The and functions return log(1+x) accurately, including tiny x for double and float data types, respectively.

The function returns x**y.

Error (due to roundoff)
       The and functions are accurate to within an ulp, and is accurate to within approximately 2 ulps; an ulp is one Unit in the Last Place.

The  function  is accurate to within 2 ulps when its magnitude is moderate, but becomes less accurate as the result approaches the overflow
       or underflow thresholds.  Theoretically, as these thresholds are approached, almost as many bits could be lost from the result as are indi-
       cated  in  the exponent field of the floating-point format for the resultant number.  In other words, up to 11 bits for an IEEE 754 double-
       precision floating-point number.  However, testing has never verified loss of precision as drastic as 11 bits.  The worst cases have  shown
       accuracy  of  results  to within 300 ulps for IEEE 754 double-precision floating-point numbers.	In general, a (integer, integer) result is
       exact until it is larger than 2**53 (for IEEE 754 double-precision floating-point).

Return Values
       All of the double precision functions return NaN if x or y is NaN.

The function returns HUGE_VAL when the correct value would overflow, and zero when the correct value would underflow.

The and functions return NaN when x is less than or equal to zero or when the correct value would overflow.

The function returns NaN if x or y is NaN.  When both x and y are zero, 1.0 is returned.  When x is negative and y is not an  integer,  NaN
       is returned.  If x is zero and y is negative, -HUGE_VAL is returned.

The function returns NaN when x is negative.

See Also
       math(3m)

RISC								   exp(3m)