Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep for multiple patterns
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep for multiple patterns Post 43189 by kduffin on Wednesday 12th of November 2003 06:43:40 PM
Old 11-12-2003
You could always use awk '/pattern1//pattern2/ { print };' <file>

You should look at regular expressions as well - the majority of utilities in UNIX will support their use.

Cheers,

Keith

Last edited by kduffin; 11-17-2003 at 10:51 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple patterns

Hi, Can we grep multiple patterns in UNIX. for example: cat /x/y/oratab | grep -i "pattern1|pattern2" .... etc I require the syntax for multiple patterns. | is not working as I explained in example. Malay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for Multiple patterns

Hi All, I have a file. I need to find multiple patterns in a row and need those rows to divert to new file. I tried using grep -e / -E / -F options as given in man. But its not working. ==> cat testgrep.txt william,fernandes,xxxxx mark,morsov,yyyy yy=,xx= yyyy=,xxxx== ==>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: WillImm123
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To grep multiple patterns with space in between them......

Hii... Every One...... I want to grep multiple patterns with space in between them. For eg : I have a file which contains following : red cat every one new one you are an ox take one Now, what I want to do is to grep " you are" , "an ox" and "red cat" from this file. Any help........ (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashantshukla
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep multiple patterns + the whole word only

Guys, i used egrep "pattern1|pattern2". But the whole word is searched. But i want the output if only the exact word is matched. i.e the output is got evenif a part of the pattern is matched. I tried the -w opion but its showing usage error. Please help me out on this one. please sent me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meheretoknow
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep multiple patterns in number of files

Hi, I want to list the files containing a no of pattern like for single string i can use grep -l "string" * This command will enlist the files containg this string. Similarly i would like to use for multiple string. I like to enlist file names having string1 and string 2 Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikash_k
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for multiple patterns

I have a file with many rows. I want to grep for multiple patterns from the file. For eg: XX=123|YY=222|ZZ=566 AA=123|EE=222|GG=566 FF=123|RR=222|GG=566 DD=123|RR=222|GG=566 I want the lines which has both XX and ZZ. I know I can get it like this. grep XX file | grep YY But... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tene
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep from multiple patterns multiple file multiple output

Hi, I want to grep multiple patterns from multiple files and save to multiple outputs. As of now its outputting all to the same file when I use this command. Input : 108 files to check for 390 patterns to check for. output I need to 108 files with the searched patterns. Xargs -I {} grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple patterns that contain wildcards

job_count=`grep -e "The job called .* has finished | The job called .* is running" logfile.txt | wc -l` Any idea how to count those 2 patterns so i have a total count of the finished and running jobs from the log file? If i do either of the patterns its works okay but adding them together... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: finn
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep with multiple patterns?

I am trying to grep a variable with multiple lines with multiple patterns below is the pattern list in a variable called "grouplst", each pattern is speerated by "|" grouplst="example1|example2|example3|example4|example5|example6|example7" I need to use the patterns above to grep a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajetangay
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep multiple patterns(file) and replace whole line

I am able to grep multiple patterns which stored in a files. However, how could we replace the whole line with either the pattern or new string? For example: pattern_file: *Info in the () is not part of the pattern file. They are the intended name to replace the whole line after the pattern... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxboo
5 Replies
largefile(5)                                            Standards, Environments, and Macros                                           largefile(5)

NAME
largefile - large file status of utilities DESCRIPTION
A large file is a regular file whose size is greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). A small file is a regular file whose size is less than 2 Gbyte. Large file aware utilities A utility is called large file aware if it can process large files in the same manner as it does small files. A utility that is large file aware is able to handle large files as input and generate as output large files that are being processed. The exception is where additional files are used as system configuration files or support files that can augment the processing. For example, the file utility supports the -m option for an alternative "magic" file and the -f option for a support file that can contain a list of file names. It is unspecified whether a utility that is large file aware will accept configuration or support files that are large files. If a large file aware utility does not accept configuration or support files that are large files, it will cause no data loss or corruption upon encountering such files and will return an appropriate error. The following /usr/bin utilities are large file aware: adb awk bdiff cat chgrp chmod chown cksum cmp compress cp csh csplit cut dd dircmp du egrep fgrep file find ftp getconf grep gzip head join jsh ksh ln ls mdb mkdir mkfifo more mv nawk page paste pathchck pg rcp remsh rksh rm rmdir rsh sed sh sort split sum tail tar tee test touch tr uncompress uudecode uuencode wc zcat The following /usr/xpg4/bin utilities are large file aware: awk cp chgrp chown du egrep fgrep file grep ln ls more mv rm sed sh sort tail tr The following /usr/xpg6/bin utilities are large file aware: getconf ls tr The following /usr/sbin utilities are large file aware: install mkfile mknod mvdir swap See the USAGE section of the swap(1M) manual page for limitations of swap on block devices greater than 2 Gbyte on a 32-bit operating sys- tem. The following /usr/ucb utilities are large file aware: chown from ln ls sed sum touch The /usr/bin/cpio and /usr/bin/pax utilities are large file aware, but cannot archive a file whose size exceeds 8 Gbyte - 1 byte. The /usr/bin/truss utilities has been modified to read a dump file and display information relevant to large files, such as offsets. cachefs file systems The following /usr/bin utilities are large file aware for cachefs file systems: cachefspack cachefsstat The following /usr/sbin utilities are large file aware for cachefs file systems: cachefslog cachefswssize cfsadmin fsck mount umount nfs file systems The following utilities are large file aware for nfs file systems: /usr/lib/autofs/automountd /usr/sbin/mount /usr/lib/nfs/rquotad ufs file systems The following /usr/bin utility is large file aware for ufs file systems: df The following /usr/lib/nfs utility is large file aware for ufs file systems: rquotad The following /usr/xpg4/bin utility is large file aware for ufs file systems: df The following /usr/sbin utilities are large file aware for ufs file systems: clri dcopy edquota ff fsck fsdb fsirand fstyp labelit lockfs mkfs mount ncheck newfs quot quota quotacheck quotaoff quotaon repquota tunefs ufsdump ufsrestore umount Large file safe utilities A utility is called large file safe if it causes no data loss or corruption when it encounters a large file. A utility that is large file safe is unable to process properly a large file, but returns an appropriate error. The following /usr/bin utilities are large file safe: audioconvert audioplay audiorecord comm diff diff3 diffmk ed lp mail mailcompat mailstats mailx pack pcat red rmail sdiff unpack vi view The following /usr/xpg4/bin utilities are large file safe: ed vi view The following /usr/xpg6/bin utility is large file safe: ed The following /usr/sbin utilities are large file safe: lpfilter lpforms The following /usr/ucb utilities are large file safe: Mail lpr The following /usr/lib utility is large file safe: sendmail SEE ALSO
lf64(5), lfcompile(5), lfcompile64(5) SunOS 5.10 7 Nov 2003 largefile(5)