Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep for multiple patterns
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep for multiple patterns Post 43189 by kduffin on Wednesday 12th of November 2003 06:43:40 PM
Old 11-12-2003
You could always use awk '/pattern1//pattern2/ { print };' <file>

You should look at regular expressions as well - the majority of utilities in UNIX will support their use.

Cheers,

Keith

Last edited by kduffin; 11-17-2003 at 10:51 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple patterns

Hi, Can we grep multiple patterns in UNIX. for example: cat /x/y/oratab | grep -i "pattern1|pattern2" .... etc I require the syntax for multiple patterns. | is not working as I explained in example. Malay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for Multiple patterns

Hi All, I have a file. I need to find multiple patterns in a row and need those rows to divert to new file. I tried using grep -e / -E / -F options as given in man. But its not working. ==> cat testgrep.txt william,fernandes,xxxxx mark,morsov,yyyy yy=,xx= yyyy=,xxxx== ==>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: WillImm123
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To grep multiple patterns with space in between them......

Hii... Every One...... I want to grep multiple patterns with space in between them. For eg : I have a file which contains following : red cat every one new one you are an ox take one Now, what I want to do is to grep " you are" , "an ox" and "red cat" from this file. Any help........ (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashantshukla
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep multiple patterns + the whole word only

Guys, i used egrep "pattern1|pattern2". But the whole word is searched. But i want the output if only the exact word is matched. i.e the output is got evenif a part of the pattern is matched. I tried the -w opion but its showing usage error. Please help me out on this one. please sent me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meheretoknow
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep multiple patterns in number of files

Hi, I want to list the files containing a no of pattern like for single string i can use grep -l "string" * This command will enlist the files containg this string. Similarly i would like to use for multiple string. I like to enlist file names having string1 and string 2 Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikash_k
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for multiple patterns

I have a file with many rows. I want to grep for multiple patterns from the file. For eg: XX=123|YY=222|ZZ=566 AA=123|EE=222|GG=566 FF=123|RR=222|GG=566 DD=123|RR=222|GG=566 I want the lines which has both XX and ZZ. I know I can get it like this. grep XX file | grep YY But... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tene
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep from multiple patterns multiple file multiple output

Hi, I want to grep multiple patterns from multiple files and save to multiple outputs. As of now its outputting all to the same file when I use this command. Input : 108 files to check for 390 patterns to check for. output I need to 108 files with the searched patterns. Xargs -I {} grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple patterns that contain wildcards

job_count=`grep -e "The job called .* has finished | The job called .* is running" logfile.txt | wc -l` Any idea how to count those 2 patterns so i have a total count of the finished and running jobs from the log file? If i do either of the patterns its works okay but adding them together... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: finn
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep with multiple patterns?

I am trying to grep a variable with multiple lines with multiple patterns below is the pattern list in a variable called "grouplst", each pattern is speerated by "|" grouplst="example1|example2|example3|example4|example5|example6|example7" I need to use the patterns above to grep a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajetangay
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep multiple patterns(file) and replace whole line

I am able to grep multiple patterns which stored in a files. However, how could we replace the whole line with either the pattern or new string? For example: pattern_file: *Info in the () is not part of the pattern file. They are the intended name to replace the whole line after the pattern... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxboo
5 Replies