Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Opening Files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Opening Files Post 43045 by cbkihong on Monday 10th of November 2003 10:25:54 AM
Old 11-10-2003
ppt and doc are MS Office files on Windows. On Unix/Linux we do use OpenOffice to open MS Office files, simply because it is the best alternative for MSO on non-Windows platform. So you are on Windows, why not fire up MS Office to open them?

IMO cygwin does not give you a true Unix environment. If you want to try PC-based Unix, try some distro of Linux. IMO cygwin is good for being able to display forwarded X11 connections from remote servers without paying for an X emulator on Windows. Beyond that, messing with cygwin doesn't really worth the effort.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening files

I am very new to unix. I want to open a file and read one line in at a time. Can anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saarshad001
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opening non-html files in lynx??

when i try to open a txt file in lynx I need to provide the filename or use wildcards to open. Autocompletion doesn't work for some reason. Also, trying to open files like: .sh, .py etc. ends up in the following error: lynx: Start file could not be found or is not text/html or text/plain ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: riwa
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening Files in append mode

Is there any other way to open a file in append mode without using C calls or >> redirection? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhya
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Files as command line arguments

Hi have set a command line argument where the user enters the filename. I have set a condition that if the command line is null (user just enters return), the script will exit (with an error message). However, what if the user types something and the file isn't found. How will I go about... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cactus Jack
20 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

error while opening files in a directory

I tried opening the files in a directory and print thier names. But it was thowing the error "unable to open directorty at t5.pl line 2." Can u plz correct this error in below mentioned code. #!/data/scoredev/perl opendir(HOMEDIR,"c:\vin") || die("unable to open directorty");... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Files and checking contents in Perl

Hi All, I need some expert help in performing the following in Perl. I have a code below but it doesn;t seem to work. Can any expert give me some advice? Below are the requirements 1) Open numerous files assigned to an array @FILES. Note that the files are always named with the term... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
7 Replies

7. Web Development

opening text files with javascript

Im aware under IE, javascript uses ActiveX Objects to open up and manipulate text files, excel files etc.. How abouts would I open a text file using javascript in Firefox ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl-opening a file then copying files

Good morning guys!! Im still practicing with Perl and now Im trying to open a file, and copy its contents to another file. Them I want to remeove the information out of the orginal file after it is copied over. The flow should be messages-->messages1-->messages2. Kind of like a log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
1 Replies

9. Programming

help with opening files and reading them in C

In C, given a name or path to a file, how do I check if the path is valid, and how can I check its permisions will let me read from it, and how do i check if its an empty file? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop Script and not opening files containing spaces

Hello, I wrote a simple script, that basically wait for a *.dat-file in a certain folder, which is always a zipped file and extracts it. It worked before and i changed nothing in the script, but since last week i have the problem, that it doesnt extract files containing a space. How do i make... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blend_in
4 Replies
Inline-Support(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Inline-Support(3)

NAME
Inline-Support - Support Information for Inline.pm and related modules. DESCRIPTION
This document contains all of the latest support information for "Inline.pm" and the recognized Inline Language Support Modules (ILSMs) available on CPAN. SUPPORTED LANGUAGES
The most important language that Inline supports is "C". That is because Perl itself is written in "C". By giving a your Perl scripts access to "C", you in effect give them access to the entire glorious internals of Perl. (Caveat scriptor :-) As of this writing, Inline also supports: - C++ - Java - Python - Tcl - Assembly - CPR - And even Inline::Foo! :) Projects that I would most like to see happen in the year 2001 are: - Fortran - Ruby - Lisp - Guile - Bash - Perl4 SUPPORTED PLATFORMS
"Inline::C" should work anywhere that CPAN extension modules (those that use XS) can be installed, using the typical install format of: perl Makefile.PL make make test make install It has been tested on many Unix and Windows variants. NOTE: "Inline::C" requires Perl 5.005 or higher because "Parse::RecDescent" requires it. (Something to do with the "qr" operator) Inline has been successfully tested at one time or another on the following platforms: Linux Solaris SunOS HPUX AIX FreeBSD OpenBSD BeOS OS X WinNT Win2K WinME Win98 Cygwin The Microsoft tests deserve a little more explanation. I used the following: Windows NT 4.0 (service pack 6) Perl 5.005_03 (ActiveState build 522) MS Visual C++ 6.0 The "nmake" make utility (distributed w/ Visual C++) "Inline::C" pulls all of its base configuration (including which "make" utility to use) from "Config.pm". Since your MSWin32 version of Perl probably came from ActiveState (as a binary distribution) the "Config.pm" will indicate that "nmake" is the system's "make" utility. That is because ActiveState uses Visual C++ to compile Perl. To install "Inline.pm" (or any other CPAN module) on MSWin32 w/ Visual C++, use these: perl Makefile.PL nmake nmake test nmake install Inline has also been made to work with Mingw32/gcc on all Windows platforms. This is a free compiler for Windows. You must also use a perl built with that compiler. The "Cygwin" test was done on a Windows 98 machine using the Cygwin Unix/Win32 porting layer software from Cygnus. The "perl" binary on this machine was also compiled using the Cygwin tool set ("gcc"). This software is freely available from http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ If you get Inline to work on a new platform, please send me email email. If it doesn't work, let me know as well and I'll see what can be done. SEE ALSO
For general information about Inline see Inline. For information about using Inline with C see Inline::C. For sample programs using Inline with C see Inline::C-Cookbook. For information on writing your own Inline Language Support Module, see Inline-API. Inline's mailing list is inline@perl.org To subscribe, send email to inline-subscribe@perl.org AUTHOR
Brian Ingerson <INGY@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2000-2002. Brian Ingerson. Copyright (c) 2008, 2010, 2011. Sisyphus. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html perl v5.18.2 2012-11-19 Inline-Support(3)