Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting want to delete timestamp from todays file Post 42930 by maverick on Friday 7th of November 2003 06:44:23 AM
Old 11-07-2003
google iam sure this is a very effective solution but what i want is some command and not a shell script something using pipes
which i can run in any directory without bothering to change the
value of $pwd each time i run the script .iam unable to do the same \
thanks for the prompt reply :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list todays file

Hi Friends, How to list todays file from a directory listing of files for amny dates. I tried with the following options but not working : find . -name "esi01v*" -mtime 1 -ls find . -name "esi01v*" -ctime 1 -ls find . -name "esi01v*" -mtime 1 Please advise (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a string in todays file

Hello guys - I am new to Unix. I am trying to understand how to grep a perticular string in todays file? I am trying this syntax but not getting what I am looking for: % grep `date '+%d/%b/%Y'` For instance there are 2 files generated today with same data. I am trying to find them and... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
21 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log file entries based on the Date/Timestamp within log file

If a log file is in the following format 28-Jul-10 ::: Log message 28-Jul-10 ::: Log message 29-Jul-10 ::: Log message 30-Jul-10 ::: Log message 31-Jul-10 ::: Log message 31-Jul-10 ::: Log message 1-Aug-10 ::: Log message 1-Aug-10 ::: Log message 2-Aug-10 ::: Log message 2-Aug-10 :::... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get todays file name

Hi ! there can you please tell me how to get full files having today date like if i have files like this(below) , i want to grep only sra + today's date + what ever thing is there after date . grep `sra*$date*.csv` >>> i tried this one but its not working . sra28-08-2011xyz.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravan008
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to keep todays files based on Timestamp

Hi i need to keep todays files based on timestamp and archive the remaining files ex: Managerial_Country_PRD_20150907.csv Managerial_Country_PRD_20150906.csv Managerial_Country_PRD_20150905.csv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram1228
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to keep todays files based on Timestamp

Hi i need to keep todays files based on timestamp and archive the remaining files ex: Managerial_Country_PRD_20150907.csv Managerial_Country_PRD_20150907.csv Managerial_Country_PRD_20150906.csv Managerial_Country_PRD_20150905.csv (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram1228
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to list todays file in perticular folder?

How to list todays file in perticular folder Moved thread to appropriate forum (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete filesappended with timestamp?

I have the following script #!/bin/bash # Script for running the snapshot of target directories now=$(date +'%Y-%m-%d') /bin/hdfs dfs -createSnapshot /apps/hive/warehouse/xyz.db $now How do i delete the same in a script see below a example ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tspk99
1 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)