Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Unable to get password prompt Post 42873 by owls on Thursday 6th of November 2003 04:03:30 AM
Old 11-06-2003
Unable to get password prompt

Hi

I am using a Solaris 2.5.1 and i am unable to logon on the console.

When i key in say, root on the login prompt, it does not prompt me for password but instead return to the login prompt again.

Please help.

thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rcp without password prompt

Hi, i have a request about rcp. is it possible to to make a rcp sessions for a normal user witch should have this option without a password prompt. what are the important steps .... add the host and user i the .rhosts and and . . . . many thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottl
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

any way to use SU command without prompt for password

Hi, First i want to tell you i am not a administrator and everytime to run a sqlscritpt i have to login as SU in a particular account to connect to sqlplus.. I want to write a script which can make me free by doin this .. since i am having the permission for SU i want to know if i can SUDO... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: myelvis
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Stopping password prompt

hi I have installed a new Linux machine and having another machine having Solaris on it. i want that when i log into my solaris machine using rlogin from Linux machine then no password prompt occurs... Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to get the db2 command prompt in unix

Hi, When i try to connect to the db2 database from unix solaris 5.8 version by typing "db2" from the .../sqllib/bin/ folder, i am not getting the db2 command prompt. Could anyone help me resolve this? Here the db2 is executable only. But still iam not getting the db2 prompt. The error i get is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync without password prompt

Hi, I am tranfering the files from local machine to remote machine using rsync utility but it is prompting password. but i don't want to provide through prompt. how can i give in my shell script. can anyone suggest me.Thanks in advance rsync -rvcpogtl -e "ssh $LOCAL_PORT" $SOURCE_DIR... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How to prompt for the new password during the first login

Hi All, I have created a new user. Using the below command I have created the user successfully. useradd -c "Test user" -d /tmp/test -g Testgroup -s /bin/ksh -u 601 Test I don't want to set the password using “passwd” command after creating a user. I want to prompt for the new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Unable to Set Prompt to current working DIR

HPUX does not recognise \h,\w,\u to display the hostname,working directory and username respectively. So how do i set the PS1 variable to display my current working Directory as my prompt? I also tried PS1=$PWD, But it keeps showing the same directory path as prompt which PWD was holding at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Kulkarni
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo -s without password prompt

hi, i have a requirement where i need to sudo to another user in the shell script.suppose consider user A and B, first user A calls a shell script and then i need to sudo to user B which executes another shell script inside the earlier one. also this needs to be automated like while sudo'ing to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krk
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies
sulogin(1M)                                               System Administration Commands                                               sulogin(1M)

NAME
sulogin - access single-user mode SYNOPSIS
sulogin DESCRIPTION
The sulogin utility is automatically invoked by init when the system is first started. It prompts the user to type the root password to enter system maintenance mode (single-user mode) or to type EOF (typically <CTRL-D>) for normal startup (multi-user mode). The user should never directly invoke sulogin. The sulogin utility can prompt the user to enter the root password on a variable number of serial console devices, in addition to the tra- ditional console device. See consadm(1M) and msglog(7D) for a description of how to configure a serial device to display the single-user login prompt. FILES
/etc/default/sulogin Default value can be set for the following flag: PASSREQ Determines if login requires a password. Default is PASSREQ=YES. /etc/default/login Default value can be set for the following flag: SLEEPTIME If present, sets the number of seconds to wait before login failure is printed to the screen and another login attempt is allowed. Default is 4 seconds. Minimum is 0 seconds. Maximum is 5 seconds. Both su(1M) and login(1) are affected by the value of SLEEPTIME. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
login(1), consadm(1M), init(1M), su(1M), attributes(5), msglog(7D) SunOS 5.10 25 Sep 2002 sulogin(1M)