Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Email formatting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Email formatting Post 42869 by Optimus_P on Wednesday 5th of November 2003 06:01:58 PM
Old 11-05-2003
this is from one of the guys off the chicago perl mailing lists.

Code:
you might want to take a
look at Mail::Box [2] on CPAN. Once you've got installed you can interact with 
all sorts of mail folders (mbox, maildir, imap4, pop) with a common interface.

Assuming you've got an mbox format file at /home/bgates/mbox, you could:

use Mail::Box::Mbox;

my $folder = Mail::Box::Mbox->new( folder => '/home/bgates/mbox' );

foreach my $msg ( $folder->messages() ) { 
	print $msg->body(),"\n";
    }

Lazy, and nice to read -- at least for me :) You can do all sorts of 
crazy stuff like deleting, modifying, searching. Well worth a look at
if you need to do lots of work with mail messages.

//Ed

Last edited by Optimus_P; 11-06-2003 at 01:30 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to send eMail from a UNIX-Host ( using mailx ) to a Outlook-email-addres(Win)

Hi A) I am able to send eMail using mailx from a UNIX ( solaris 8 ) host to my Outlook-email-ID : FName.Surname@Citigroup.com ( This is NOT my actual -eMail-ID). But in Outlook the "From :" eMail address is displayed as " usr1@unix-host1.unregistered.email.citicorp.com " .i.e the words... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vetrivela
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send email where # is in the email address - Using Unix

Hi All, How do I send an email using malix where email address contains a #. I have a email address like this : #test@test.com I want to send email like malix -s "TEST" #test@test.com < SOMEFILE I tried \# but doesn't work. Please let me know how we can achieve this? I am in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Send an email from Solaris using Linux email server

Hello everyone I have a problem and I need your help: I have a Solaris 10 and Solaris 8 UNIX Servers, and Linux Centos4 as email server. I need send an email from Solaris servers preferably using Centos4 email server. I have no mail service configured in my Solaris computers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aflores
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new to ldap, send email to a ou or group, and see a list from email client

hi, i'm running openldap on ubuntu 10.04, creating new items with apache directory studio (windows version). i use the ldap just as an address book to our small office (email clients are windows live mail 2009, 2011, microsoft outlook 2007 and 2010). a. i cant see a list of the contacts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: V4705
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using top command to email if process is exceeding 25% and sending an email alert if so

This is my first time writing a script and Im having some trouble, Im trying to use the top command to monitor processes and the amount of CPU usage they require, my aim is to get an email if a process takes over a certain percentage of CPU usage I tried grep Obviosly that hasnt worked, Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jay02
8 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

email from *nix to Exchange - text formatting issue

Oracle Linux 5.6 x-86-64 (Red Hat derivitive) I have several shell scripts that capture output to a log file, then use that log file as the source of an email. For a very simplified example: echo Today is `date` >> $logfile /bin/mail -s "$subject" "$sendto" < $logfile (yes, $subject... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Sending a HTML email from cli loses formatting.

Hi, I have a .sh file, to email a report of our backups from a linux machine. It looks like this (minus a few bits): echo "HELO $host.$domain" sleep 1 echo "mail from: vdrreport@$domain" sleep 1 echo "rcpt to:$mailto" sleep 1 echo "data" sleep 1 echo "subject: $host VDR-Report... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cognito
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting The Email Output

Hello All, When i use the single quotes around the variables i am getting each line in the array as seperate in the email as shown in code2 & output2. But i don't want those single quotes to be printed but each array element should be printed as seperate line as when i remove those single quotes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email formatting gets disturbed because of screen resolution

Hi friends, I have written a shell script which send a report to email address everyday. The report is generated on UNIX server every day, Generated report is sent to 25 users through cron. All 25 users have set different screen resolution for their monitor. The email looks wel formatted for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting email output in single line with out space in email

I have tried below email method and i am getting every thing in single line . i have put echo to provide space, but it is not helping my code ( echo "From: $FROM" echo "To: $MAILTO" echo "CC: $CC" echo "Subject: $SUBJECT" echo "MIME-Version: 1.0" echo 'Content-Type: multipart/mixed;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
6 Replies
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Perl(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Perl(3pm)

NAME
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Perl - A Perl-based mbox folder reader SYNOPSIS
#!/usr/bin/perl use Mail::Mbox::MessageParser; my $filename = 'mail/saved-mail'; my $filehandle = new FileHandle($filename); my $folder_reader = new Mail::Mbox::MessageParser( { 'file_name' => $filename, 'file_handle' => $filehandle, } ); die $folder_reader unless ref $folder_reader; # Any newlines or such before the start of the first email my $prologue = $folder_reader->prologue; print $prologue; # This is the main loop. It's executed once for each email while(!$folder_reader->end_of_file()); { my $email = $folder_reader->read_next_email(); print $email; } DESCRIPTION
This module implements a Perl-based mbox folder reader. Users must not instantiate this class directly--use Mail::Mbox::MessageParser instead. The base MessageParser module will automatically manage the use of faster implementations if they can be used. METHODS AND FUNCTIONS The following methods and functions are specific to the Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Perl package. For additional inherited ones, see the Mail::Mbox::MessageParser documentation. $ref = new( { 'file_name' => <mailbox file name>, 'file_handle' => <mailbox file handle> }); <file_name> - The full filename of the mailbox <file_handle> - An opened file handle for the mailbox The constructor for the class takes two parameters. The optional file_name parameter is the filename of the mailbox. The required file_handle argument is the opened file handle to the mailbox. Returns a reference to a Mail::Mbox::MessageParser object, or a string describing the error. BUGS
No known bugs. Contact david@coppit.org for bug reports and suggestions. AUTHOR
David Coppit <david@coppit.org>. LICENSE
This software is distributed under the terms of the GPL. See the file "LICENSE" for more information. HISTORY
This code was originally part of the grepmail distribution. See http://grepmail.sf.net/ for previous versions of grepmail which included early versions of this code. SEE ALSO
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser perl v5.10.1 2009-08-09 Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Perl(3pm)