Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Formfeed after each file
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Formfeed after each file Post 42595 by jgordon on Friday 31st of October 2003 08:28:02 AM
Old 10-31-2003
Formfeed after each file

Have a line printer that uses the script /etc/lp/interfaces/citoh script when processing print jobs. I've developed the header so that it will print a page break before the start of each page. When you print single files, this works fine. But, if you print multiple files (e.g. lp -d citoh *.fil), the header is not invoked before each file. Thus, the subsequent files start printing right after the previous file even if it's right in the middle of a page.

I would like to generate a page break after the end of each file. Alternatively, I'd like to invoke the header so that each file name is identified for each printed file.

Thanks in advance

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FormFeed BEFORE printing a job

I have a problem where my printer formfeeds a blank page prior to printing a job. Anyone know where I can turn this off? AIX O/S - RS-6000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Docboyeee
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lp FormFeed Escape characters

I'm trying to modify the /usr/lib/lp/model/netstandard file to generate a header for all the print jobs that are sent, but there is no formfeed defined so the the job prints right after the header with no page break. What is the sequence I need in order to generate a formfeed? Or, do you have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgordon
4 Replies

3. Solaris

formfeed problem

i am running an .sql script in sqlplus which is spooling in a file. but when i am opening the file using vi editor it is showing ^L in front of 1st,2nd and last line. when i am opening the file with cat this problem is not there. how to solve this problem? this above mentioned file is the input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: imppayel
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk: delete n lines following a formfeed

Hi Members, This is my first post in this forum. I want to do is match form feed lines one by one in a file and delete the next n lines (ex-3 lines) with the form feed character Eg - Files looks like Data 1 Data 2 Data 3 FF Hdr1 Hdr2 Hdr3 Data4 Data5 FF Hdr1 Hdr2 Hdr3 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yohan
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
LP(1)							      General Commands Manual							     LP(1)

NAME
lp - printer output SYNOPSIS
lp [ option ... ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Lp is a generalized output printing service. It can be used to queue files for printing, check a queue, or kill jobs in a queue. The options are: -d dest Select the destination printer. If dest is list the currently available printers. In the absence of the destination is taken from the environment variable LPDEST. Destination is the standard output. Destination is line printer port on a 386 machine. -p proc The given processor is invoked. The default processor is which tries to do the right thing for regular text, troff(1) output, or tex(1) output. If no processing is desired may be specified. -q Print the queue for the given destination. For some devices, include printer status. -k Kill the job(s) given as subsequent arguments instead of file names for the given destination. The remaining options may be used to affect the output at a given device. These options may not be applicable to all devices. -c n Print n copies. -f font Set the font (default -H Suppress printing of header page. -i n Select paper input tray. n may be a number 0-9, the word man for the manual feed slot, and/or simplex or duplex to get single or double sided output. Multiple input tray options may be specified if they are separated by commas. -l n Set the number of lines per page to n. -L Print pages in landscape mode (i.e. turned 90 degrees). -m v Set magnification to v. -n n Print n logical pages per physical page. -o list Print only pages whose page numbers appear in the comma-separated list of numbers and ranges. A range n-m means pages n through m; a range -n means from the beginning to page n; a range n- means from page n to the end. -r Reverse the order of page printing. -x v Set the horizontal offset of the print image, measured in inches. -y v Set the vertical offset of the print image, measured in inches. EXAMPLES
eqn paper | troff -ms | lp -dsafari Typeset and print a paper containing equations. pr -l100 file | lp -l100 -fCW.8 Print a file in a small font at 100 lines per page. lp -dstdout /dev/windows/3/window > doc.ps Convert a bitmap to a postscript file. SEE ALSO
lp(8) P. Glick, ``A Guide to the Lp Printer Spooler''. BUGS
Not all options work with all output devices. Any user can kill any job. Lp will accept jobs from BSD style lpdaemons but cannot send jobs to such systems. LP(1)