Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create new file by searching another file Post 42520 by Simerian on Thursday 30th of October 2003 12:34:50 PM
Old 10-30-2003
... or use awk to pattern matching on the words and perform a little bit of processing if required (e.g. putting the different matched lines into separate files).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append a field to the end of each line of a file based on searching another file.

Hi All, I have two comma separated value(CSV) files, say FileA and FileB. The contents looks like that shown below. FileA EmpNo,Name,Age,Sex, 1000,ABC,23,M, 1001,DES,24,F, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimate
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a log file and appending to a .txt file

I'm new to shell scripting and am writing a script to help me log the free memory and hd space on a server. As of now, the script just runs 'df -h' and appends the output to a file and then runs 'top' and appends the output to a log file. What I want to do, is have the script also search the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enator45
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create file as variable for searching point

Hi Friends, I need expert help:), I have bellow script that function for searching string in multiple file, the script is working well. but I thing it still can be optimize since so many repetition in bellow command, where string that I marked BOLD italic is clue for what I am looking for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: budi.mulya
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with searching for a file in a directory and copying the contents of that file in a new file

Hi guys, I am a newbie here :wall: I need a script that can search for a file in a directory and copy the contents of that file in a new file. Please help me. :confused: Thanks in advance~ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zel2zel
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in searching a particular string in a file name (not inside the file contents)

Dear Unix Gurus, I am new to shell scripting and in the process of learing. I am trying to find whether a file name has today's date in MMDDYYYY format. I am using the following code and it doesn't seem like working. #!/usr/bin/ksh today=$(date '+%m%d%Y') echo today: $today file=`find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a file inside a .tar.gz file by date

Hi, I would like to ask if there is a way to search for a file inside a .tar.gz file without extracting it? If there is, is there a way to search for that file by date? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching the content of one file using the search key of another file

I have two files: file 1: hello.com neo.com,japan.com,example.com news.net xyz.com, telecom.net, highlands.net, software.com example2.com earth.net, abc.gov.uk file 2: neo.com example.com abc.gov.uk file 2 are the search keys to search in file 1 if any of the search key is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csim_mohan
3 Replies
fnmatch(3)						     Library Functions Manual							fnmatch(3)

NAME
fnmatch - Matches filename patterns LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <fnmatch.h> int fnmatch( const char *pattern, const char *string, int flags); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: fnmatch(): XPG4, XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Contains the pattern to which the string parameter is to be compared. Contains the string to be compared against the pattern parameter. Contains a bit flag specifying the configurable attributes of the comparison to be performed by the fnmatch function. The flags parameter modifies the interpretation of the pattern and string parameters. It is the bitwise inclusive OR (|) of 0 (zero) or more of the following flags, which are defined in the fnmatch.h file. Slash in the string parameter only matches slash in the pattern parameter. Leading period in the string parameter must be exactly matched by period in the pattern parameter. Unless FNM_NOESCAPE is set, preceding a character in pattern with a (backslash character) causes fnmatch() to match that character in string. For example, \ matches a backslash in string. If FNM_NOESCAPE is set, (backslash) is interpreted as an ordinary character. If the FNM_PATHNAME flag is set in the flags parameter, a / (slash) in the string parameter is explicitly matched by a / in the pattern parameter. It is not matched by either the * (asterisk) or ? (question-mark) special characters, nor by a bracket expression. If the FNM_PATHNAME flag is not set, the / is treated as an ordinary character. If FNM_PERIOD is set in the flags parameter, then a leading period in the string parameter only matches a period in the pattern parameter; it is not matched by either the asterisk or question-mark special characters, nor by a bracket expression. A period is determined to be leading according to the setting of the FNM_PATHNAME flag, according to the following rules: If the FNM_PATHNAME flag is set, a period is leading only if it is the first character in the string parameter or if it immediately follows a slash. If the FNM_PATHNAME flag is not set, a period is leading only if it is the first character of the string parameter. If FNM_PERIOD is not set, no special restrictions are placed on matching a period. A (backslash character) quotes the next character, unless FNM_NOESCAPE is set. If FNM_NOESCAPE is set, (backslash) is treated as itself. DESCRIPTION
The fnmatch() function checks the string specified by the string parameter to see if it matches the pattern specified by the pattern param- eter. This routine follows the match criteria of the glob() function. The fnmatch function is useful when a program needs to perform pattern matching, such as when a directory is to be searched for a particu- lar string (as is the case with the find command). A program like the pax command can also use the fnmatch() function to perform its pat- tern matching operations. RETURN VALUES
If the value in the string parameter matches the pattern specified by the pattern parameter, then the fnmatch() function returns 0 (zero). If there is no match, the fnmatch() function returns FNM_NOMATCH, which is defined in the fnmatch.h file. If an error occurs, the fnmatch() function returns a nonzero value. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: glob(3), globfree(3), regcomp(3) Standards: standards(5) delim off fnmatch(3)