Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to cut a string from a variable Post 42519 by kjaisan on Thursday 30th of October 2003 12:13:42 PM
Old 10-30-2003
MySQL

Thanks Ygor, that helped.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut through variable

hi, can some one put more light. i want to perform cut operation on a variable, but i am not able to do so as the variable contain special character. e.g var="adc|cfr\\df|{dff}|df}}" command : var1=`cut -c10-12 $var` i gives error. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyz123
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut string from a line into a variable

Hi, I am working on a ksh script and I´m stuck on the following: I have to get the pthread_id from a procstack file for a particular tid#. ---------- tid# 1274057 (pthread ID: 1800) ---------- ---------- tid# 1736913 (pthread ID: 4019) ---------- ---------- tid# 1478705 (pthread ID: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmf33uk
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut last 7 characters of a variable

I need to cut the last seven characters of a variable length variable. The variable may be 7 characters or 70. I need to always be able to grab the last 7 characters. I looked at the cut command but it always seems to want to start at the beginning of a line, not the end and count backwards. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kblawson14
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut a string from a variable

hello, i need to cut a string in unix but not from file ,, from variable, i searched on special line , and i need a specific data from this line , i get it on variable, how can i cut data that i need ??? merci (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham.Donia
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut a string from a variable

I want to cut column 1 to 5 echo $somevariable | cut -c 1-5 not working (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the string

Hi in a directory i've files having the following name for_category_info_19990101984301 for_catgry_meta_19991111214601 ------- I just want the name till year and month i.e; for_category_info_199901 for_catgry_meta_199911 How can i achieve the above string Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the string

---------- Post updated at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:28 AM ---------- Hello, I am trying to get the string cut based on the following needs: String1=Submitted request 25574824 for CONCURRENT SQLAP RUAPACTUALSEXT Y RUAPACTUALS122313100616.dat "2013/01/12 14:50:44"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cartrider
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign value to variable using cut?

Hey guys. Below is the command I am using to assign "yellow" to the variable yellow. I can seem to echo it out using xargs but when I assign it to yellow and then try to echo it out it prints a blank line. Below is the command. Your help is highly appreciated! cut -c 2- color.txt |... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldan88
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if string variable is a subset of another string variable

Below is my ksh shell script where I need to check if variable fileprops is a subset of $1 argument. echo "FILE PROPERTY: $fileprops" echo "PARAMETER3: $1" if ; then echo "We are Good. $line FILE is found to be INTACT !! " else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
MB_STRCUT(3)								 1							      MB_STRCUT(3)

mb_strcut - Get part of string

SYNOPSIS
string mb_strcut (string $str, int $start, [int $length = NULL], [string $encoding = mb_internal_encoding()]) DESCRIPTION
mb_strcut(3) extracts a substring from a string similarly to mb_substr(3), but operates on bytes instead of characters. If the cut position happens to be between two bytes of a multi-byte character, the cut is performed starting from the first byte of that character. This is also the difference to the substr(3) function, which would simply cut the string between the bytes and thus result in a malformed byte sequence. PARAMETERS
o $str - The string being cut. o $start - Starting position in bytes. o $length - Length in bytes. If omitted or NULL is passed, extract all bytes to the end of the string. o $encoding -The $encoding parameter is the character encoding. If it is omitted, the internal character encoding value will be used. RETURN VALUES
mb_strcut(3) returns the portion of $str specified by the $start and $length parameters. SEE ALSO
mb_substr(3), mb_internal_encoding(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_STRCUT(3)