Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Software Router for Unix
Special Forums IP Networking Software Router for Unix Post 4250 by Neo on Sunday 22nd of July 2001 07:37:44 PM
Old 07-22-2001
You don't need routing software to do what you describe. This is simply done with static routes and a kernel configured for IP forwarding.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using UNIX as a router

Is there a way that i can create some start up disks for a computer with no hard drive to become a router? I know there are types of Linux OS's that can do it but i dont know which ones they are or where i can get them from. I am very new to the UNIX/Linux thing so I thank you for any help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: e980238
2 Replies

2. SCO

Software router on SCO Unixware 2.X

Hi, I am trying to setup an old SCO Unix 2.x box to act as a router. I have got 2 network cards in the box. As far as I know, I need to setup "ip forwarding" and "routes". Can anyone tell me how to setup "ip forwarding" on SCO Unixware 2.X? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenir
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX scripts for router

Hi, I want to write a script in unix for my routers which will collect the output to a file.. how do i do that? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasandhu
3 Replies

4. Programming

Master's degree proposal, Router software

Hello everyone, After 8 years of being out of school I am trying to start my Masters degree. This specific type of degree is being done only by research (research mode vs. coursework mode). I need to prepare a research proposal and send it to the school. I will need a professor to accept me as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmac
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX as ROUTER

dear all, hi... my name rian, i have some problem here, i'm trying to make router on UNIX machine, is there anyone know how to make it....... :confused: please let me know about the step.... thanks before.. cheers Rian (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: afriansyah
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote Unix printing to my WinXP works with no router. How can I make it work through my router?

I set up remote printing on a clients Unix server to my Windows XP USB printer. My USB printer is connected directly to my PC (no print server and no network input on printer). With my Win XP PC connected to my cable modem (without the router), i can do lp -dhp842c /etc/hosts and it prints. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmhohne
7 Replies
ramd(1M)																  ramd(1M)

NAME
ramd - Route Administration Manager Daemon (RAMD) for IPv6 SYNOPSIS
config_file] trace_options] [trace_file] DESCRIPTION
is a routing daemon that manages routing for IPv6. handles RIPng, BGP, and IS-IS routing protocols. and are referred to as routing dae- mons. can be configured using the configuration file Upon startup, reads the configuration file and spawns the routing daemons, if it is config- ured. However, the command-line option trace_file is applicable only to maintains a routing table in user space and synchronizes it with the HP-UX kernel routing table. periodically checks the kernel interface table and the route table for any updates or changes. It notifies the corresponding daemons about the updates. Options supports the following command-line options: Parses the configuration file for syntax errors and terminates exits with a status 0 if the configuration file contains no errors. If the configuration file contains errors, exits with a non-zero value. prints the configuration file errors, if any, to the standard output. Specifies that runs as a normal process and not as a daemon process. Parses the configuration file for syntax errors and terminates It leaves a dump file, if the configuration file does not have any syntax errors. Specifies an alternate configuration file to be used by By default, uses Specifies that does not modify the kernel forwarding table. Suppresses the messages of and routing daemons. Using this option, can suppress the informational messages that are normally printed to the stan- dard output, and log error messages through syslogd(1M). By default, errors are logged in Specifies a comma-separated list of trace options to be enabled during startup. A space cannot be entered between this option and its arguments. This option can be used to trace events that occur before the configuration file is parsed, such as determining the interface con- figuration and reading routes from the kernel. See the ramd.conf(4) manpage for information on tracing and valid trace options. The trace options, cannot be specified with the command-line option. trace_file Specifies the name of the file used by the daemon to log tracing information. Signal Processing The following signals are used to control Specifies to reread the configuration file. reads the configuration file and reconfigures its policies. also checks if it must start and stop the protocol daemons. Specifies that the current state of is written to Graceful shutdown. On receipt of attempts a graceful shutdown. removes all protocol routes from the HP-UX 11i v1 kernel routing table on receiving Interface routes and static routes remain with the retain option. can be used to terminate with all the routes intact. It may be necessary to repeat the once or twice if delays its termination. Toggle tracing. If tracing is enabled, suspends tracing and closes the trace file. If tracing is disabled, opens the trace file and initiates tracing. This is useful for moving trace files. signal cannot be used, if does not enable tracing in the configuration file. Checks for interface changes. On receipt of rescans the kernel interface list for changes. EXAMPLES
To use an alternate configuration file for instead of the default configuration file, invoke as follows: To log tracing related information to the trace options and invoke as follows : logs the trace information that is related to the configuration file and the kernel interface table, in the log file AUTHOR
was developed by Future software Ltd. SEE ALSO
netstat(1), ifconfig(1M), ram_monitor(1M), rdc(1M), fork(2), ramd.conf(4). ramd(1M)