Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions window 2000 professional not pinging my window 98 system. Post 42471 by art_malabanan on Thursday 30th of October 2003 01:57:00 AM
Old 10-30-2003
yes on all windows environment we actually use ping loopback or 127.0.0.1 to test the nic it self if it is good.
or u can actually ping what ever ip u assigned ur card. this loopback test is good when there running dchp server no need to look for its ip.

regards,
Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

An X Window System from scratch

I'm currently using Gnome as my desktop environment (DE) but it's going kind of slow. My friend gave me the advice to skip the DE and only use a Window Manager. I took his suggestion one step further and decided to try building an X window system from scrath instead. But what are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.P
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

how to start the x window system

hi, am new to hp-ux, i just bought an hp-ux with the hp-ux 11.0 os, is very old, and i wnat to start the x window system but it send an error that said that couldn't open the x server, i try startx, xinit, and nothing, and also where i can find tutorials for hp-ux os for beginners (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobody
7 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Wants to delete a file on window 2000 Pro but prompt Access Denied

Kindly give me insight to this problem that l am encountering on window 2000 professional. I want to delete a file with .dll. If l delete the file its prompt access denied. Every option under the file attribute signify that the no deny was checked, but still l can't delete the file. Also l tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Maximizing X window without Window Switcher

Hi everyone! I have a strange situation. I'm running an NX remote Gnome desktop session. On the remote machine, there is a whole load of unsaved data in a window. A problem that I've been having with this NX session is that I can't load Gnome Applets, including the Window Switcher. So.. when I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexandicity
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What would take the Place of X Window System if X was not installed?

If X was not installed, what would print data onto the display? Does it include applications form Gpl/Gnu or is it a daemon only? Thanks in advance!:wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X Window system - concept

Hi, I am lost in between of some concepts, googling too much made me like this! honestly... please correct my statements below and if they are correct just mention "correct" or also add extra info please: 1. "X Window System" provides basic access to GUI on unix/linux systems This... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
3 Replies

7. AIX

Is XVFB(X window system virtual frame buffer ) open source

I would like to know XVFB is open source or not. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathap.g
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Which X Window system is installed on my server that would work with Xming?

I would like to use Xming to connect a server and managed to get it to work. I am now trying to get it to connect to a different server but i am not sure which X Window system is installed. I tried it through putty and i get the following error/warning: /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67/bin> jvisualvm... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy25
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Toggle between xterm window and standard terminal window

Is it possible to toggle back and forth between an xterm invoked from one tty, and a shell invoked from a different tty? I am running Centos 7 with KDE and booting in non-graphic mode. After logging in on the default window (/dev/tty1) , I can then use ALT-F2 to access a new window (/dev/tty2),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhgscty
1 Replies

10. Programming

Configure: error: X Window system libraries and header files are required

I am trying to compile thunar 1.8.4. It is giving me this error. configure: error: X Window system libraries and header files are required Ubuntu Mate 18.04 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
2 Replies
FINDSMB(1)							   User Commands							FINDSMB(1)

NAME
findsmb - list info about machines that respond to SMB name queries on a subnet SYNOPSIS
findsmb [subnet broadcast address] DESCRIPTION
This perl script is part of the samba(7) suite. findsmb is a perl script that prints out several pieces of information about machines on a subnet that respond to SMB name query requests. It uses nmblookup(1) and smbclient(1) to obtain this information. OPTIONS
-r Controls whether findsmb takes bugs in Windows95 into account when trying to find a Netbios name registered of the remote machine. This option is disabled by default because it is specific to Windows 95 and Windows 95 machines only. If set, nmblookup(1) will be called with -B option. subnet broadcast address Without this option, findsmb will probe the subnet of the machine where findsmb(1) is run. This value is passed to nmblookup(1) as part of the -B option. EXAMPLES
The output of findsmb lists the following information for all machines that respond to the initial nmblookup for any name: IP address, NetBIOS name, Workgroup name, operating system, and SMB server version. There will be a '+' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are local master browsers for that workgroup. There will be an '*' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are the domain master browser for that workgroup. Machines that are running Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95 or Windows 98 will not show any information about the operating system or server version. The command with -r option must be run on a system without nmbd(8) running. If nmbd is running on the system, you will only get the IP address and the DNS name of the machine. To get proper responses from Windows 95 and Windows 98 machines, the command must be run as root and with -r option on a machine without nmbd running. For example, running findsmb without -r option set would yield output similar to the following IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION --------------------------------------------------------------------- 192.168.35.10 MINESET-TEST1 [DMVENGR] 192.168.35.55 LINUXBOX *[MYGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.6] 192.168.35.56 HERBNT2 [HERB-NT] 192.168.35.63 GANDALF [MVENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.5a for IRIX] 192.168.35.65 SAUNA [WORKGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 1.9.18p10] 192.168.35.71 FROGSTAR [ENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.0 for IRIX] 192.168.35.78 HERBDHCP1 +[HERB] 192.168.35.88 SCNT2 +[MVENGR] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] 192.168.35.93 FROGSTAR-PC [MVENGR] [Windows 5.0] [Windows 2000 LAN Manager] 192.168.35.97 HERBNT1 *[HERB-NT] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
nmbd(8), smbclient(1), and nmblookup(1) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 FINDSMB(1)