Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Leading and Trailing Spaces
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Leading and Trailing Spaces Post 42416 by sleepster on Wednesday 29th of October 2003 06:02:39 AM
Old 10-29-2003
yes Ygor, that almost does it

could you explain what the symbols [ ] and * mean here?

also what if there are spaces in front of and behind the line?

" Amy Reds , 100 , /bin/sh "

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing leading and trailing spaces of data between the tags in xml.

I am having xml document as below. <transactionid> 00 </transactionid> <tracknumber> 0 </tracknumber> <key> N/A </key> But the data contains leading and trailing spaces between the tags. Please let me know how can i remove these leading and trailing spaces between the tags.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhmr7
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove trailing and leading spaces using tr command

Dear All, can you please advice how do i remove trailing and leading spaces from a pipe-delimited file using "tr" command the below cmd, i tried removed all spaces tr -d ' '<s1.txt>s2.txt1 Many thx Suresh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing leading and trailing spaces only in PERL

Hi All, I have a file with the following contents with multiple lines 172445957| 000005911|8| 400 Peninsula Ave.#1551 | And,K |935172445957|000005911 607573888 |000098536 | 2|Ane, B |J |Ane |1868 |19861206|20090106|20071001 I want to trim the "leading and trailing spaces only" from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar04
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] Trailing spaces

Hello People How to check whether lines in a text file have trailing spaces or not and if a line have trailing spaces then how many trailing spaces line have? Regards ARvind kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindk.monu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to move leading negative sign to trailing position

Hi All, I am having a file which contains negative numbers, wht i am doing is re-formattting the file(moving few columns and add few hard codings between), while reformatting i would want the negative numbers to have the sign as trailing rather than leading. Existing -2400.00 34 0.00... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearing leading and trailing blanks from a string in C Shell

Does anyone know of a way with C Shell that will work on both Linux and Sun to clear all leading and trailing blanks from a previously specified string? I am using the following code to replace blanks with underscores: set Company = `echo $Company | sed 's/ /_/g but I don't want any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phudgens
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the leading and trailing date from a CSV file

I'm a newbie to shell scripting. Can anyone help with the below requirement ? The leading and trailing date of a files to be removed. 2017-07-12_gmr_tag_log_20170711.csv 2017-07-12_gmr_call_log_20170711.csv 2017-07-12_gmr_outgoing_log_20170711.csv I'm looking for output like... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamayam
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading and trailing spaces from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove leading and trailing spaces from a file using awk but somehow I have not been able to do it. Here is the data that I want to trim. 07/12/2017 15:55:00 |entinfdev |AD ping Time ms | .474| 1.41| .581|green |flat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove leading and trailing spaces for variable in shell script?

Hi I have variable named tablename. The value to tablename variable has leading and trailing white spaces. How to remove the leading and training white spaces and write the value of the tablename without space to a file using shell script. ( for e.g. tablename= yyy ) INPUT ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
10 Replies
ckstr(1)							   User Commands							  ckstr(1)

NAME
ckstr, errstr, helpstr, valstr - display a prompt; verify and return a string answer SYNOPSIS
ckstr [-Q] [-W width] [ [-r regexp] [...]] [-l length] [-d default] [-h help] [-e error] [-p prompt] [ -k pid [- s signal]] /usr/sadm/bin/errstr [-W width] [-e error] [-l length] [ [-r regexp] [...]] /usr/sadm/bin/helpstr [-W width] [-h help] [-l length] [ [-r regexp] [...]] /usr/sadm/bin/valstr [-l length] [ [-r regexp] [...]] input DESCRIPTION
The ckstr utility prompts a user and validates the response. It defines, among other things, a prompt message whose response should be a string, text for help and error messages, and a default value (which are returned if the user responds with a <RETURN>). The answer returned from this command must match the defined regular expression and be no longer than the length specified. If no regular expression is given, valid input must be a string with a length less than or equal to the length defined with no internal, leading or trailing white space. If no length is defined, the length is not checked. All messages are limited in length to 79 characters and are formatted automatically. Tabs and newlines are removed after a single white space character in a message definition, but spaces are not removed. When a tilde is placed at the beginning or end of a message defini- tion, the default text will be inserted at that point, allowing both custom text and the default text to be displayed. If the prompt, help or error message is not defined, the default message (as defined under EXAMPLES) is displayed. Three visual tool modules are linked to the ckstr command. They are errstr (which formats and displays an error message on the standard output), helpstr (which formats and displays a help message on the standard output), and valstr (which validates a response). These modules should be used in conjunction with Framed Access Command Environment (FACE) objects. In this instance, the FACE object defines the prompt. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d default Defines the default value as default. The default is not validated and so does not have to meet any criteria. -e error Defines the error message as error. -h help Defines the help message as help. -k pid Specifies that process ID pid is to be sent a signal if the user chooses to quit. -l length Specifies the maximum length of the input. -p prompt Defines the prompt message as prompt. -Q Specifies that quit will not be allowed as a valid response. -r regexp Specifies a regular expression, regexp, against which the input should be validated. May include white space. If multiple expressions are defined, the answer need match only one of them. -s signal Specifies that the process ID pid defined with the -k option is to be sent signal signal when quit is chosen. If no signal is specified, SIGTERM is used. -W width Specifies that prompt, help and error messages will be formatted to a line length of width. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: input Input to be verified against format length and/or regular expression criteria. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Default prompt The default prompt for ckstr is: example% ckstr Enter an appropriate value [?,q]: Example 2: Default error message The default error message is dependent upon the type of validation involved. The user will be told either that the length or the pattern matching failed. The default error message is: example% /usr/sadm/bin/errstr ERROR: Please enter a string which contains no embedded, leading or trailing spaces or tabs. Example 3: Default help message The default help message is also dependent upon the type of validation involved. If a regular expression has been defined, the message is: example% /usr/sadm/bin/helpstr -r regexp Please enter a string which matches the following pattern: regexp Other messages define the length requirement and the definition of a string. Example 4: Using the quit option When the quit option is chosen (and allowed), q is returned along with the return code 3. Quit input gets a trailing newline. Example 5: Using the valstr module The valstr module will produce a usage message on stderr. It returns 0 for success and non-zero for failure. example% /usr/sadm/bin/valstr usage: valstr [-l length] [[-r regexp] [...]] input EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful execution. 1 EOF on input, or negative width on -W option, or usage error. 2 Invalid regular expression. 3 User termination (quit). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
face(1), signal.h(3HEAD), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 ckstr(1)