Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Leading and Trailing Spaces
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Leading and Trailing Spaces Post 42408 by sleepster on Wednesday 29th of October 2003 12:09:47 AM
Old 10-29-2003
thanks for your reply

i am using vi to do this.. i tried sed and it does not give me the output i want.. Amy Reds , 100 , /bin/sh --> would give me an output without any spaces in between

i want to get the output as --> Amy Reds,100,/bin/sh
there is a space between the first name and the last name

i looked at some web pages and AWK seems to be the answer, however i dont know how to use it.

thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing leading and trailing spaces of data between the tags in xml.

I am having xml document as below. <transactionid> 00 </transactionid> <tracknumber> 0 </tracknumber> <key> N/A </key> But the data contains leading and trailing spaces between the tags. Please let me know how can i remove these leading and trailing spaces between the tags.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhmr7
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove trailing and leading spaces using tr command

Dear All, can you please advice how do i remove trailing and leading spaces from a pipe-delimited file using "tr" command the below cmd, i tried removed all spaces tr -d ' '<s1.txt>s2.txt1 Many thx Suresh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing leading and trailing spaces only in PERL

Hi All, I have a file with the following contents with multiple lines 172445957| 000005911|8| 400 Peninsula Ave.#1551 | And,K |935172445957|000005911 607573888 |000098536 | 2|Ane, B |J |Ane |1868 |19861206|20090106|20071001 I want to trim the "leading and trailing spaces only" from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar04
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] Trailing spaces

Hello People How to check whether lines in a text file have trailing spaces or not and if a line have trailing spaces then how many trailing spaces line have? Regards ARvind kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindk.monu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to move leading negative sign to trailing position

Hi All, I am having a file which contains negative numbers, wht i am doing is re-formattting the file(moving few columns and add few hard codings between), while reformatting i would want the negative numbers to have the sign as trailing rather than leading. Existing -2400.00 34 0.00... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearing leading and trailing blanks from a string in C Shell

Does anyone know of a way with C Shell that will work on both Linux and Sun to clear all leading and trailing blanks from a previously specified string? I am using the following code to replace blanks with underscores: set Company = `echo $Company | sed 's/ /_/g but I don't want any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phudgens
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the leading and trailing date from a CSV file

I'm a newbie to shell scripting. Can anyone help with the below requirement ? The leading and trailing date of a files to be removed. 2017-07-12_gmr_tag_log_20170711.csv 2017-07-12_gmr_call_log_20170711.csv 2017-07-12_gmr_outgoing_log_20170711.csv I'm looking for output like... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamayam
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading and trailing spaces from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove leading and trailing spaces from a file using awk but somehow I have not been able to do it. Here is the data that I want to trim. 07/12/2017 15:55:00 |entinfdev |AD ping Time ms | .474| 1.41| .581|green |flat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove leading and trailing spaces for variable in shell script?

Hi I have variable named tablename. The value to tablename variable has leading and trailing white spaces. How to remove the leading and training white spaces and write the value of the tablename without space to a file using shell script. ( for e.g. tablename= yyy ) INPUT ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
10 Replies
pkgproto(1)							   User Commands						       pkgproto(1)

NAME
pkgproto - generate prototype file entries for input to pkgmk command SYNOPSIS
pkgproto [-i] [-c class] [path1] pkgproto [-i] [-c class] [path1=path2...] DESCRIPTION
pkgproto scans the indicated paths and generates prototype(4) file entries that may be used as input to the pkgmk(1) command. If no paths are specified on the command line, standard input is assumed to be a list of paths. If the pathname listed on the command line is a directory, the contents of the directory is searched. However, if input is read from stdin, a directory specified as a pathname will not be searched. OPTIONS
-i Ignores symbolic links and records the paths as ftype=f (a file) versus ftype=s (symbolic link). -c class Maps the class of all paths to class. OPERANDS
path1 Pathname where objects are located. path2 Pathname which should be substituted on output for path1. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Examples of the use of pkgproto.1. The following two examples show uses of pkgproto and a partial listing of the output produced. Example 1: example% pkgproto /bin=bin /usr/bin=usrbin /etc=etc f none bin/sed=/bin/sed 0775 bin bin f none bin/sh=/bin/sh 0755 bin daemon f none bin/sort=/bin/sort 0755 bin bin f none usrbin/sdb=/usr/bin/sdb 0775 bin bin f none usrbin/shl=/usr/bin/shl 4755 bin bin d none etc/master.d 0755 root daemon f none etc/master.d/kernel=/etc/master.d/kernel 0644 root daemon f none etc/rc=/etc/rc 0744 root daemon Example 2: example% find / -type d -print | pkgproto d none / 755 root root d none /bin 755 bin bin d none /usr 755 root root d none /usr/bin 775 bin bin d none /etc 755 root root d none /tmp 777 root root EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkgmk(1), pkgparam(1), pkgtrans(1), prototype(4), attributes(5) Application Packaging Developer's Guide NOTES
By default, pkgproto creates symbolic link entries for any symbolic link encountered (ftype=s). When you use the -i option, pkgproto cre- ates a file entry for symbolic links (ftype=f). The prototype(4) file would have to be edited to assign such file types as v (volatile), e (editable), or x (exclusive directory). pkgproto detects linked files. If multiple files are linked together, the first path encountered is considered the source of the link. By default, pkgproto prints prototype entries on the standard output. However, the output should be saved in a file (named Prototype or prototype, for convenience) to be used as input to the pkgmk(1) command. SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 2000 pkgproto(1)