Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 2 simple questions the linux pros will be able to get. Pleese help! Post 42376 by Optimus_P on Tuesday 28th of October 2003 12:03:11 PM
Old 10-28-2003
not a linux person but...

avaliable options:

1) mount your xp FS to linux.
(read the man page for mount)

2) copy the file to your cdr and right click then write to cd.
(there is a help dialog box in XP to walk you thru this)

3) if you copy your files to a floppy. you will have to mount your floppy drive once your inside linux.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple grep questions

Hi all, My boss wants me to find out how often e-m users are accessing their account:confused:. The mail server keeps log of all logins. I want to use grep the 'usernames', but it should come out the moment it first encounters the username in the log. Can I do that? I want to avoid 10+ greps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple questions

hi, i am a total dummy of unix. i want to find out the following information from my Sun Solaris 8 Unix machine: 1) The command to display physical and virtual memory 2) The command to display the CPU 3) The command to display the total harddisk space. thank u very much and have a nice... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

2 Simple Questions

Hi, I am a dummy in unix. I have 2 simple questions. 1) I am the adminstrator. I want to set a alias that applied to all the users. I do not want to update each user's .profile or .cshrc file. So is there a way to update it in one file so that it applies to all users ? Example : I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: champion
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple ed questions - insert line with dot

Hi I've got a trivial question on using ed (yes, I know, other editors are better!) How do I insert a line that is just a single dot? (That is, how do I insert a line that starts with a dot and then new line) Thanks Peter (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterl
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple make file questions....i think, thnx

Hello, I'm a noob when comes to make files.... My intentions for the use of my make file are not that of a usual compilation, etc. It is simply to copy some files from a RCS controlled area to a public area which has read rights only for a web page. My dilemma comes in the form of sub... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roxydogg28
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Two simple questions about Solaris DCHP and Samba

I have two simple questions First is :can dhcp server NATIVE of solaris perform dhcp updates of bind via dnssec like dchpd on linux? Second: Is possible to build a pdc with samba and iplanet ldap server?Or is better with openldap? I never found howto or discussions about iplanet server. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
0 Replies

7. AIX

Simple AWK cleanup/questions AIX

I have an unfortunate need to redo a bunch of disk settings on a VIOS on AIX, so I was putting together a quick script to scrub everything it has, make the changes, and then put the mappings back. It works, I just am trying to get my awk a bit more up-to-snuff and wanted to know the proper way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

8. AIX

Simple questions about LPARs

Hello, I am looking into virtualizing AIX 7.1 on our p7 machine that already has AIX 7.1 installed on it. I have a few questions about them: 1) In order to gain LPAR functionality, do I need to purchase PowerVM software? 2) I read that LPARs are managed from locally attached graphical... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bstring
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev and /sys to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help show help and exit -V, --version show version number and exit RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
mount(8) chroot(2) init(8) mkinitrd(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)