Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Turning off the CDE
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Turning off the CDE Post 42324 by meyersp on Monday 27th of October 2003 12:01:49 PM
Old 10-27-2003
I changed the inittab setting to run level 2 but the CDE still came on. There seems like there should be a simpler way to do this. I would actually prefer to have them logon through the CDE but then have the CDE shut down. Is there any command you can give while in the CDE environment that will simply kill the CDE without losing network support or changing the run level?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

turning off certain http requests

On a sparc solaris 8 host running sunone webserver 6 I would like to limit the http requests that can be used when port 80 is accessed. We currently have http/1.0 enabled. For example I would like to remove the http request DELETE. Regards, BLP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blp001
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Turning Echo off

Hi, Is there any way like in dos to turn the echo off in a script? i have some lines popping up that i dont wish to be viewed when i am unziping a file it brings up the message updating: log.txt (deflated 72%) and extracting: log.txt i dont want these be viewed. Andy (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chapmana
4 Replies

3. AIX

turning auditing on AIX 4.3

Hi, What's the best way to turn on the auditing in AIX 4.3? I'm in an environment where root password are shared with many users. Can sudoers member be audited properly? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Turning in.ftpd on and off

For two straight days someone was running in.ftpd in my server (apparently looking to break in) and when I would do "top" almost every line would read "in.ftpd". I had a unix sysadmin friend of mine shut it down and then start it back up in a day and a half and all seems OK for now. Here's what I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thomi39
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

turning CIO on and how to monitor

Hi Guys, I have a database server where we run AIX 5.3 on a power5 box and we just turned on CIO (concurrent I/O) for the database filesystems. Now my assumption is that enabling CIO the database basically will bypass the filesystem cache releasing some extra memory that can be allocated... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hariza
1 Replies

6. AIX

turning CIO on and how to monitor

Hi Guys, I have a database server where we run AIX 5.3 on a power5 box and we just turned on CIO (concurrent I/O) for the database filesystems. Now my assumption is that enabling CIO the database basically will bypass the filesystem cache releasing some extra memory that can be allocated... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hariza
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to migrate Solaris 10 CDE config to HP-UX CDE.

Hello, Do you guys by any chance know what is the best (if any ) way to move CDE configuration from a SOLARIS 10 machine to HP-UX? Just the config (actions, text files etc). Thanks in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary0x01
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Connect to SunOS CDE from another CDE

I have two CDE desktop accounts on different server (called this CDE#1, CDE#2) on the same network. However, my current setup is connecting to the Solaris CDE#1,CDE#2 via Citrix. My plan is to connect to CD#1 and then somehow connect to CDE#2. How do I do this? I am just a regular user... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tthach830
0 Replies

9. SCO

Need help turning off bootpd

OSR 5.0.7 patched with MP 5 The syslog is flooded with messages: May 9 13:42:12 asiwc bootpd: IP address not found: 192.168.230.215 May 9 13:42:13 asiwc bootpd: IP address not found: 192.168.230.142 May 9 13:42:50 asiwc bootpd: IP address not found: 192.168.230.202 The system... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Turning given date to epoch

i can probably script this in bash, but, i was wondering, does anyone know of a simple way to translate a given time to epoch? date -d@"29/Oct/2013:17:53:11" the user would specify the date: 29/Oct/2013:17:53:11 and the script will simply interpret that to epoch: 1348838383 (this is just... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)