Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tips on startup?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tips on startup? Post 42288 by McFlashbang on Sunday 26th of October 2003 09:37:57 AM
Old 10-26-2003
MySQL

I just made a backup of the .profile and the MOTD file on a floppydisk and deleted the line in the original file:

/usr/games/fortune freebsd tips

Or something that looks like that, and now the tips are gone. Thanks for the help!
McFlashbang

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

Welcome to Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials was created partially as an overflow from our Answers to Frequently Asked Questions. We noticed that some of the info in that forum did not really answer a question that is frequently asked. We want to keep the FAQ forum small so that it is easily browsed. Also, a few users... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

2. Solaris

tips Solaris

hi all... I need to know, how I can create a log when the user loggin and logout...day and hour....any person help me..... thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanfle
7 Replies

3. Red Hat

linux tips

Hi, I am working on a linux install to a desktop pc and will configure this onto our main server once happy with the functions etc. I am actually a HP and AIX sys admin and was looking for the best ways to: create a bootable file that can be copied to dvd-rw / cd-rw or to dds be able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
8 Replies

4. Solaris

using pca for the first time, any tips?

I am wanting to use pca to update my solaris 10 server. I have figured out how to give it my SOA credentials, set it to auto update the pca tool and ignore a few patches I don't want to do. I have also ran: pca -l missingrs to list all available patches I need in the recommended and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just asking - Tips on how to maintain your scripts ..

Hi all, Just writing to ask if any one can advise on what tools to use best for maintaining your scripts ... preferably free/open source and portable if there is one, that is, one that can be placed and run on a USB stick ... At the moment, am having them in directories and files and no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tips

hi... I want some tips for standardizing shell script code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xerox
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache tomcat startup script not booting at startup.

I copied the script from an AskUbuntu post - #!/bin/bash ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: tomcat7 # Required-Start: $network # Required-Stop: $network # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 # Default-Stop: 0 1 6 # Short-Description: Start/Stop Tomcat server ### END INIT INFO ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
14 Replies
rhosts(5)							File Formats Manual							 rhosts(5)

Name
       rhosts - list of hosts that are logically equivalent to the local host

Syntax
       /$HOME/.rhosts

Description
       The  file  allows  a  user  who has an account on the local host to log in from a remote host without supplying a password.  It also allows
       remote copies to the local host.

If the file exists, it is located in a user's home directory.  It is not a mandatory file, however.

The format of a file entry is:
       hostname [username]
       The hostname is the name of the remote host from which the user wants to log into the local host.  The username is the user's login name on
       the remote host.  If you do not specify a user name, the user must have the same login name on both the remote and local hosts.

The  host  names  listed in the file may optionally contain the local BIND domain name.	For more information on BIND, see the Guide to the
       BIND/Hesiod Service.

If a user is logged in to and wants to log in to a host called without supplying a password, she must:

o    Have an account on

o    Create a file in her home directory on

o    Specify host1 ginger as an entry in the file.
	    If has the same login on both and she can simply specify host1 in her entry.  You can allow the superuser of a remote system to log in
	    to your system without password protection or perform a remote copy by having a file in the root ( / ) directory, but it is not recom-
	    mended.
	    In addition to having a file, the superuser needs a terminal entry in the file for each pseudoterminal configured in the system.   The
	    secure entry looks similar to the following:
	    ttyp3      none    network	       secure
	    See the reference page for more information.

Examples
       The  following is a sample file for the user It is located in her home directory on She also has accounts on the hosts called and Her login
       name on and is the same as on but her login on is

To enable to log in to from and without supplying a password, her on should contain the following entries:
       machine1
       system1	gordon
       host3

See Also
       hosts.equiv(5), ttys(5)
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

rhosts(5)