Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tips on startup?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tips on startup? Post 42287 by norsk hedensk on Sunday 26th of October 2003 09:21:16 AM
Old 10-26-2003
yes it is possible. id guess that this is run from the user's .profile settings file. take a look in the users home directory for the .profile settings, and look in there for the corresponding lines that run the program you wish stop from running.

id suggest you only comment out those lines though, instead of deleting them. you never know, you may want to have those tips displayed later and it would save you some trouble if you just comment out those lines.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

Welcome to Tips and Tutorials

Tips and Tutorials was created partially as an overflow from our Answers to Frequently Asked Questions. We noticed that some of the info in that forum did not really answer a question that is frequently asked. We want to keep the FAQ forum small so that it is easily browsed. Also, a few users... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

2. Solaris

tips Solaris

hi all... I need to know, how I can create a log when the user loggin and logout...day and hour....any person help me..... thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanfle
7 Replies

3. Red Hat

linux tips

Hi, I am working on a linux install to a desktop pc and will configure this onto our main server once happy with the functions etc. I am actually a HP and AIX sys admin and was looking for the best ways to: create a bootable file that can be copied to dvd-rw / cd-rw or to dds be able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
8 Replies

4. Solaris

using pca for the first time, any tips?

I am wanting to use pca to update my solaris 10 server. I have figured out how to give it my SOA credentials, set it to auto update the pca tool and ignore a few patches I don't want to do. I have also ran: pca -l missingrs to list all available patches I need in the recommended and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just asking - Tips on how to maintain your scripts ..

Hi all, Just writing to ask if any one can advise on what tools to use best for maintaining your scripts ... preferably free/open source and portable if there is one, that is, one that can be placed and run on a USB stick ... At the moment, am having them in directories and files and no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tips

hi... I want some tips for standardizing shell script code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xerox
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache tomcat startup script not booting at startup.

I copied the script from an AskUbuntu post - #!/bin/bash ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: tomcat7 # Required-Start: $network # Required-Stop: $network # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 # Default-Stop: 0 1 6 # Short-Description: Start/Stop Tomcat server ### END INIT INFO ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
14 Replies
INSTALL-MH(8)                                                        [nmh-1.5]                                                       INSTALL-MH(8)

NAME
install-mh - initialize the nmh environment SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/install-mh [-auto] [-check] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Install-mh is the nmh program to create the initial setup for a first-time nmh user. Install-mh lives in two places for historical rea- sons. The -auto option does things as automatically as possible and makes install-mh less chatty. The user is asked for the name of the directory that will be designated as the user's nmh directory. If this directory does not exist, the user is asked if it should be created. Normally, this directory should be under the user's home directory, and has the default name of ``Mail''. Install-mh writes an initial .mh_profile for the user. As with all nmh commands, install-mh first checks for the existence of the $MH environment variable since that gives the profile path if set. If it isn't set, the $HOME environment variable is consulted to determine the user's home directory. If $HOME is not set, then the /etc/passwd file is consulted. When creating the users initial .mh_profile, install-mh will check for the existence of a global profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile. If found, this will be used to initialize the new .mh_profile. The -check option can be used to check whether or not nmh has been installed. This can be used by other programs to determine whether or not nmh has been installed without their having to know the internals of nmh. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile Used to initialize user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To set the user's nmh directory CONTEXT
With -auto, the current folder is changed to "inbox". MH.6.8 11 June 2012 INSTALL-MH(8)