Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming how To edit exe to insert a serial no wich can be usd by runing exe Post 42253 by DreamWarrior on Friday 24th of October 2003 01:06:05 PM
Old 10-24-2003
Look into the what command, it may gave you a decent starting point to include version information into your software. You would of course have to execute the what command from inside the executable, or find the source for the what command and place it inside of it.

As for editting that value at run-time (or install-time), that's kind of shifty - and not exactly portable. However, if you can read the information, you can write it...provided you do not change the string's size (or be faced with possibly corrupting the string table in your executable).

That's about as much as I can give you. However just realize everything you would be doing is very non-portable considering the differing executable structures on various platforms.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.exe file

Hello all, how to run windows .exe file in Linux and vice the versa (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
3 Replies

2. SuSE

does exe

does exe files works withe suse am new n linux system and were can i find msn 4 linux (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulla
2 Replies

3. Linux

How to run .exe

Hai, is there any way to run an .exe file in unix environment . i have read that WINE HQ supports this concept but its very inconsistent and upto the user risk . but i tried WINE but iam not able to configure it can any one help me in this matter Regards Sanju (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjustudy
1 Replies

4. Programming

exe info

Hi Is it possible to find all the information like its 'ProductName', 'ProductVersion, ''InternalName' , 'FileVersion' etc about a windows excutable file,( i.e. *.exe file ) on Unix/Linux. thanks sumsin (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.exe files

how to open .exe file in freebsd system.My work is to run a growth.exe(created by growth.c turbo c 3.0 file).how to run that exe file in freebsd system?Thanks in advance help me (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarangopi
8 Replies

6. Programming

running exe

how we can run the exe when the system starts. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
2 Replies

7. Programming

exe

Is it possible to extract c program,from its executable file(.exe)? i mean we dont have program but its exe file only which runs,can we retrieve the program? if yes how? if no why? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknown9
2 Replies

8. Programming

How to build .exe from c

All, I have never comipled C code before and would appricaite if anyone could tell me how to build a .exe from a C program. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thana
5 Replies

9. Programming

exe

hello everyone, could somebody tell me where can i find some good exercises on signals,processes and threads? actually i need to find some solved exercises in system programming. tnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: micy
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows

Hi, totally new to linux base using windows when started learning and using computers. but i remember that one pc was there , look alike windows desktop, but could not do the task as windows just click and open and view edit etc. But, you could do a little differently even saving in and opening... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraju
8 Replies
Tcl_FindExecutable(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures					     Tcl_FindExecutable(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_FindExecutable, Tcl_GetNameOfExecutable - identify or return the name of the binary file containing the application SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> void Tcl_FindExecutable(argv0) CONST char * Tcl_GetNameOfExecutable() ARGUMENTS
char *argv0 (in) The first command-line argument to the program, which gives the application's name. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The Tcl_FindExecutable procedure computes the full path name of the executable file from which the application was invoked and saves it for Tcl's internal use. The executable's path name is needed for several purposes in Tcl. For example, it is needed on some platforms in the implementation of the load command. It is also returned by the info nameofexecutable command. On UNIX platforms this procedure is typically invoked as the very first thing in the application's main program; it must be passed argv[0] as its argument. It is important not to change the working directory before the invocation. Tcl_FindExecutable uses argv0 along with the PATH environment variable to find the application's executable, if possible. If it fails to find the binary, then future calls to info nameofexecutable will return an empty string. Tcl_GetNameOfExecutable simply returns a pointer to the internal full path name of the executable file as computed by Tcl_FindExecutable. This procedure call is the C API equivalent to the info nameofexecutable command. NULL is returned if the internal full path name has not been computed or unknown. KEYWORDS
binary, executable file Tcl 8.1 Tcl_FindExecutable(3)