Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Quotas and NIS
Operating Systems Solaris Quotas and NIS Post 42075 by meyersp on Tuesday 21st of October 2003 11:31:02 PM
Old 10-22-2003
I was running edquota from the master and getting the error that the user could not be found. I think it is looking for local users not nis users. The passwd and shadow file that i use to build the NIS maps with is not located in /etc but another place based on suns recommendation. The only thing i havent tried is to log on to the master server with a NIS admin account and run edquota. Ill give that a shot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

setting quotas

Hi, I'm trying to setup user quotas on my Linux system. It is Suse 7.3 running the standard kernel from that release. When I try to run quotaon, I get the following: # quotaon -v /dev/hdc1 quotaon: using /home/aquota.user on /dev/hdc1: Invalid argument I can't figure out what it means by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybler
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help!! script for quotas

here is the file i must use to write my script (from a repquota -g) : Group used soft grace ... group1 -- 270000 0 0 ... group2 -- 1500005 0 0 ... group3 -- 55 0 0 ... ... ... ... ... the script has to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS map mail.aliases specified, but NIS not running

Hi all, I just took over the admin role from someone and I wanna setup sendmail (just to send mail from the host) however, after I config all the resolv.conf, nssitch.conf, hosts file and when I try to send a mail out, after I punched ctl-D, it returned he following, "NIS map mail.aliases... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX 5.3 quotas

Hello, I will be creating several users on a new AIX box. I would like to limit the amount of data they can keep. How can I do that in smit or with a command. Thanks - Brad (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rondebbs
0 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

auto quotas?

Heres a stupid question to all you Linux gods/goddesses. Is there any way to have the system automatically set user quotas when a user account is created or does it have to be done by hand or a script. Every article, thread, anything Ive read so far only shows how to set quotas manually. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcady_02
3 Replies

7. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

8. Linux

MySQL Quotas

How do I limit the maximum usage space for a specific MySQL user ?? Databases can be unlimited but the total sum of data on all tables and databases shouldn't exceed a limit I want. How to do this ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nilesh_lf
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating that the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled

I'm creating a scrip for auditing our AIX box's to ensure that they are built according to our system standards. I'm not sure on the logic for checking to see if the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled. any idea's? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk Quotas

Hi, I'm practicing new things with Linux/Unix and I need someone to point me at the right direction. Lets say I create a user named user1. After creating it, how would I enable quotas for it. I have already added "userquota" under "/etc/fstab" and rebooted my system, but after I run the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi7514
1 Replies
edquota(8)						      System Manager's Manual							edquota(8)

Name
       edquota - edit user quotas

Syntax
       edquota [ -p proto-user ] users...

Description
       The  command  is  a quota editor.  You can specify one or more users on the command line.  For each user, creates  a temporary file with an
       ASCII representation of the current disc quotas for that user and an editor is then invoked on the file.  You can then modify  the  quotas,
       add new quotas, and so forth.  Upon leaving the editor, reads the temporary file and modifies the binary quota files to reflect the changes
       made.

If a valid quota file does not exist, refers the user to The user then has the option of either supplying the command  which  automatically
       creates the necessary quota file, or creating an empty quota file by various other means.

If  the	option	is specified, duplicates for each user, the quotas of the prototypical user specified. This is the usual mechanism used to
       initialize quotas for groups of users.

The editor invoked is unless the environment variable EDITOR specifies otherwise.

Only the superuser can edit quotas.

Diagnostics
       Various messages about inaccessible files. Other messages are self-explanatory.

Files
       quotas	      At the root of each file system with quotas

Used to find file system names and locations

See Also
       quota(1), quota(2), quotacheck(8), quotaon(8), repquota(8)
       ``Disk Quotas in a UNIX Environment,'' ULTRIX Supplementary Documents, Volume 3: System Manager

edquota(8)