Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl script Post 42027 by Optimus_P on Tuesday 21st of October 2003 11:23:06 AM
Old 10-21-2003
there are alot of way to do your formating.
this is an example from learning perl. useing Formats.

but w/o keeping it KISS i would just use the sprintf function to do your basic formating and it will still look pretty.

Code:
#! /usr/bin/perl -w

format STDOUT =
=================================
| @||||||||||||||||||||||||     |
$uname
$uid
$real_name
=================================

open(PASSFILE, "/etc/passwd") || die "Can not open password file";

while (<PASSFILE>) {
($uname, $uid, $real_name)=(split /:/)[0,2,4];
write ;
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Run perl script in the current process

I have a question regarding running perl in the current process. I shall demonstrate with an example. Look at this. sh-2.05b$ pwd /tmp sh-2.05b$ cat test.sh #! /bin/sh cd /etc sh-2.05b$ ./test.sh sh-2.05b$ pwd /tmp sh-2.05b$ . ./test.sh sh-2.05b$ pwd /etc sh-2.05b$ So... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Accessing array elements within a sed command in Perl script

I am trying to use a script to replace the header of each file, whose filename are stored within the array $test, using the sed command within a Perl script as follows: $count = 0; while ( $count < $#test ) { `sed -e 's/BIOGRF 321/BIOGRF 332/g' ${test} > 0`; `cat 0 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl/unix: script in command line works but not in perl

so in unix this command works works and shows me a list of directories find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt but when i try running a perl script to run this command my $query = 'find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpddong
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :How to print the o/p of a Perl script on console and redirecting same in log file @ same time.

How can i print the output of a perl script on a unix console and redirect the same in a log file under same directory simultaneously ? Like in Shell script, we use tee, is there anything in Perl or any other option ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterfly20
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP on Perl array / sorting - trying to convert Korn Shell Script to Perl

Hi all, Not sure if this should be in the programming forum, but I believe it will get more response under the Shell Programming and Scripting FORUM. Am trying to write a customized df script in Perl and need some help with regards to using arrays and file handlers. At the moment am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a perl script with arguments from a parent perl script

I am trying to run a perl script which needs input arguments from a parent perl script, but doesn't seem to work. Appreciate your help in this regard. From parent.pl $input1=123; $input2=abc; I tried calling it with system("/usr/bin/perl child.pl $input1 $input2"); and `perl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grajp002
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing perl script from another perl script : NOT WORKING

Hi Folks, I have 2 perl scripts and I need to execute 2nd perl script from the 1st perl script in WINDOWS. In the 1st perl script that I had, I am calling the 2nd script main.pl =========== print "This is my main script\n"; `perl C:\\Users\\sripathg\\Desktop\\scripts\\hi.pl`; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : embedding java script with cgi perl script

Hi All, I am aware that html tags can be embedded in cgi script as below.. In the same way is it possible to embed the below javascript in perl cgi script ?? print("<form action="action.htm" method="post" onSubmit="return submitForm(this.Submitbutton)">"); print("<input type = "text"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excuting perl script from within a perl script with variables.

Not sure what I am doing wrong here, but I can print the list with no issue. Just a blank screen with the 'do'. #!/usr/bin/perl open FILE, "upslist.txt"; while ($line=<FILE>){ if ($line=~/^(.*?),(.*?)$/){ #print "ups:$1 string:$2\n"; do 'check_snmp_mgeups-0.1.pl -H $1 -C $2'; } ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
1 Replies

10. Programming

PERL: In a perl-scripttTrying to execute another perl-script that SETS SOME VARIABLES !

I have reviewed many examples on-line about running another process (either PERL or shell command or a program), but do not find any usefull for my needs way. (Reviewed and not useful the system(), 'back ticks', exec() and open()) I would like to run another PERL-script from first one, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies
GETPWENT(3)						     Library Functions Manual						       GETPWENT(3)

NAME
getpwent, getpwnam, getpwuid, setpwent, endpwent, setpwfile - password file routines SYNOPSIS
#include <pwd.h> struct passwd *getpwent(void) struct passwd *getpwnam(const char *name) struct passwd *getpwuid(uid_t uid) int setpwent(void) void endpwent(void) void setpwfile(const char *file) DESCRIPTION
These functions are used to obtain information from the password file. They return this information in a struct passwd as defined by <pwd.h>: struct passwd { char *pw_name; /* login name */ char *pw_passwd; /* encrypted password */ uid_t pw_uid; /* numeric user id */ gid_t pw_gid; /* numeric group id */ char *pw_gecos; /* user full name and other info */ char *pw_dir; /* user's home directory */ char *pw_shell; /* name of the user's shell */ }; Getpwent() reads the password file entry by entry. Getpwnam() scans the entire password file for the user with the given name. Getpwuid() looks for the first user with the given uid. The setpwent() and endpwent() functions are used to open and later close the password file. With setpwfile() one can specify the file to read other than the normal password file. This only sets the name, the next setpwent() call will open the file. Do not touch the file name while it is active. Use setpwfile(NULL) to revert back to the normal password file. The usual way to scan the password file is (error checking omitted): setpwent(); while ((pw = getpwent()) != NULL) if (appropriate_test(pw)) break; endpwent(); The pw variable contains the entry that is wanted if non-NULL. The getpwnam() and getpwuid() functions are implemented as in this example, with error checking of course. Getpwent() calls setpwent() if this has not yet been done. Setpwent() first calls endpwent() if the password file is still open. (Other implementations may simply rewind the file.) FILES
/etc/passwd The password file database. SEE ALSO
cuserid(3), getlogin(3), getgrent(3), passwd(5). DIAGNOSTICS
Setpwent() has the same return value and error codes as the open(2) call it uses to open the password file. The getxxx() functions return NULL on end of file, entry not found, or error. You can set errno to zero before the call and check it after. NOTES
All getxxx() routines return a pointer to static storage that is overwritten in each call. Only getpwnam() and getpwuid() are defined by POSIX. The _MINIX_SOURCE macro must be defined before including <pwd.h> to make the other functions visible. The pw_passwd and pw_gecos fields are also not defined by POSIX, but are always visible. Portable code cannot reliably detect errors by setting errno to zero. Under Minix it is better to make a getpwent() scan if you need to look up several user-id's or names, but portable code had better use several getpwuid() or getpwnam() calls. The getpwent() is usually available on other systems, but may be very expensive. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) GETPWENT(3)