Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pass by reference in shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pass by reference in shell Post 41951 by Perderabo on Sunday 19th of October 2003 10:05:16 PM
Old 10-19-2003
We need to know precisely which shell you are using. This is moving towards variable scoping, which varies from shell to shell, even from one version of the shell to another.

There are two types of functions in ksh, posix functions and the other kind. Since I can't find an official name for them, I dub them "useful functions".

Posix functions are of the form:
func1() { some-commands ; }
Use them if you like screwy side effects.

Useful functions are of the form:
function func1 { some-commands ; }

You are using the posix syntax.

With useful functions, you can declare variables inside the function with the typeset command. These are local variables. Other variables are global and are visable after the function exits. With posix functions, there are no local variables.

One option is to set global variables inside the function. But I think that stinks. So my solution would be:

function func1
{
echo $(($1 +10))
return 0
}

my_num=1
my_num=$(func1 $my_num)

This is closer to the fortran concept of functions than it is to c functions.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pass by reference in shell functions

Hi all, In windows script, passing arguments can be done in both "call by value" and "call by reference". Refer http://www.commandline.co.uk/lib/treeview/index.php Can we have call by reference in unix too? Thanks in adavance, Sonal. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonaluphale
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass an array from SHELL to C function

Hi, I have an output generated from a shell script like; 0x41,0xF2,0x59,0xDD,0x86,0xD3,0xEF,0x61,0xF2 How can I pass this value to the C function, as below; int main(int argc, char *argv) { unsigned char hellopdu={above value}; } Regards Elthox (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elthox
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting Problem - Invalid Back Reference

Here is the question... Create a new script, sub2, taking three parameters... 1.) the string to be replaced 2.) the string with which to replace it 3.) the name of the file in which to make the substitution ...that treats the string to be replaced as plain text instead of as a regular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnhisenburg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl de-reference code reference variable

Guys, May i know how can we de reference the code reference variable.? my $a = sub{$a=shift;$b=shift;print "SUM:",($a+$b),"\n";}; print $a->(4,5); How can we print the whole function ? Please suggest me regarding this. Thanks for your time :) Cheers, Ranga :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rangarasan
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass file as one of argument in shell

Hi, Is there any way that we can pass one file as one of the argument in shell script ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Selva_2507
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass C shell array to another C shell script(csh) and shell(sh)

Dear Friends, Please help me on this my script name is send.csh In this i have written the statement like this set args = ( city state country price ) I want to pass this array to another c shell called receiver.csh. and i want to use it in this c shell or how to pass to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies
autouse(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      autouse(3pm)

NAME
autouse - postpone load of modules until a function is used SYNOPSIS
use autouse 'Carp' => qw(carp croak); carp "this carp was predeclared and autoused "; DESCRIPTION
If the module "Module" is already loaded, then the declaration use autouse 'Module' => qw(func1 func2($;$)); is equivalent to use Module qw(func1 func2); if "Module" defines func2() with prototype "($;$)", and func1() has no prototypes. (At least if "Module" uses "Exporter"'s "import", otherwise it is a fatal error.) If the module "Module" is not loaded yet, then the above declaration declares functions func1() and func2() in the current package. When these functions are called, they load the package "Module" if needed, and substitute themselves with the correct definitions. WARNING
Using "autouse" will move important steps of your program's execution from compile time to runtime. This can o Break the execution of your program if the module you "autouse"d has some initialization which it expects to be done early. o hide bugs in your code since important checks (like correctness of prototypes) is moved from compile time to runtime. In particular, if the prototype you specified on "autouse" line is wrong, you will not find it out until the corresponding function is executed. This will be very unfortunate for functions which are not always called (note that for such functions "autouse"ing gives biggest win, for a workaround see below). To alleviate the second problem (partially) it is advised to write your scripts like this: use Module; use autouse Module => qw(carp($) croak(&$)); carp "this carp was predeclared and autoused "; The first line ensures that the errors in your argument specification are found early. When you ship your application you should comment out the first line, since it makes the second one useless. AUTHOR
Ilya Zakharevich (ilya@math.ohio-state.edu) SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 autouse(3pm)