Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating a file / /dev/null
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Creating a file / /dev/null Post 41838 by 435 Gavea on Wednesday 15th of October 2003 04:45:16 PM
Old 10-15-2003
I'm trying to understand what you said about /dev/null...

Looking your example, send this file (that prints irrelevant stuff)to /dev/null would be the same as using "cut" command to cut out this "garbage" ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

URGENT - setup port and dump all output to /dev/null or a file

Please help urgently. I need to setup up some sort of service on a solaris server on a port. I dont need it do anything special, anything that is sent to this port from an external server should be dump to /dev/null or a flat file.. Can you help urgently? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

> /dev/null

hello all, In many shell scripts i found '> /dev/null' , i am not able to get this, will any one please explain why we are using this. thanks sudha (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrs
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/dev/NULL can't open this file ??

when i write the following two statements : cp /dev/NULL /clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/dspmq_temp cat /dev/NULL > /clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/dspmq_temp its gives me errors like : cp: /dev/NULL: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. cat : /dev/NULL can't open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

4. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

/dev/null what is the use of it?

when do you use the path /dev/null (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: webmunkey23
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null a file using xargs

Hi, I'm currently using the following command to wipe clean a log file which can't be straight out RM'd: cat /dev/null > server.log I'm building this into a script and I'm current working on a command to run on each machine to do this automatically however I have multiple files so I need... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deehem
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

9. AIX

/dev/null file issue

Hi Experts, I Have a query. In one of my server I just came to know that there was /dev/null file which is a not a character file. Its just a normal file. I know the command to create the character file (/dev/null) but what is the procedure. Like should i delete /dev/null and create or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadeava
7 Replies

10. AIX

Size of file /dev/./null 2>&1

Hello Can I just remove/delete flile ? rw-r--r-- 1 root system 2385088512 Jun 30 21:25 /dev/null 2>&1 size of this flile is 2274.75 m and fill up my filesystem: Filesystem MB blocks Used Free %Used Mounted on /dev/hd4 2560.00 2558.59 1.41 100% / (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
10 Replies
XStoreBytes(3)							  XLIB FUNCTIONS						    XStoreBytes(3)

NAME
XStoreBytes, XStoreBuffer, XFetchBytes, XFetchBuffer, XRotateBuffers - manipulate cut and paste buffers SYNTAX
int XStoreBytes(Display *display, char *bytes, int nbytes); int XStoreBuffer(Display *display, char *bytes, int nbytes, int buffer); char *XFetchBytes(Display *display, int *nbytes_return); char *XFetchBuffer(Display *display, int *nbytes_return, int buffer); int XRotateBuffers(Display *display, int rotate); ARGUMENTS
buffer Specifies the buffer in which you want to store the bytes or from which you want the stored data returned. bytes Specifies the bytes, which are not necessarily ASCII or null-terminated. display Specifies the connection to the X server. nbytes Specifies the number of bytes to be stored. nbytes_return Returns the number of bytes in the buffer. rotate Specifies how much to rotate the cut buffers. DESCRIPTION
The data can have embedded null characters and need not be null-terminated. The cut buffer's contents can be retrieved later by any client calling XFetchBytes. XStoreBytes can generate a BadAlloc error. If an invalid buffer is specified, the call has no effect. The data can have embedded null characters and need not be null-terminated. XStoreBuffer can generate a BadAlloc error. The XFetchBytes function returns the number of bytes in the nbytes_return argument, if the buffer contains data. Otherwise, the function returns NULL and sets nbytes to 0. The appropriate amount of storage is allocated and the pointer returned. The client must free this storage when finished with it by calling XFree. The XFetchBuffer function returns zero to the nbytes_return argument if there is no data in the buffer or if an invalid buffer is speci- fied. XFetchBuffer can generate a BadValue error. The XRotateBuffers function rotates the cut buffers, such that buffer 0 becomes buffer n, buffer 1 becomes n + 1 mod 8, and so on. This cut buffer numbering is global to the display. Note that XRotateBuffers generates BadMatch errors if any of the eight buffers have not been created. XRotateBuffers can generate a BadMatch error. DIAGNOSTICS
BadAlloc The server failed to allocate the requested resource or server memory. BadAtom A value for an Atom argument does not name a defined Atom. BadMatch Some argument or pair of arguments has the correct type and range but fails to match in some other way required by the request. BadValue Some numeric value falls outside the range of values accepted by the request. Unless a specific range is specified for an argu- ment, the full range defined by the argument's type is accepted. Any argument defined as a set of alternatives can generate this error. SEE ALSO
XFree(3) Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libX11 1.5.0 XStoreBytes(3)