Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users lp FormFeed Escape characters Post 41815 by hassan2 on Wednesday 15th of October 2003 12:25:02 PM
Old 10-15-2003
what unix os are you using?

Do the following if your OS is sun solaris

lpadmin -x printer_name
lpadmin -p printer_name -v/dev/null -m netstandard
lpadmin -p printer_name -T unknown -I any
lpadmin -p printer_name -o protocol=tcp -o dest=printer_ipaddres:9100
/usr/bin/enable printer_name
/usr/sbin/accept printer_name

Note:
printer_name will be the name of your printer while printer_ipaddress is the ip address of your printer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of escape characters?

Hi, I am trying to execute the following command from a batch script, but no matter how many escape characters I put in it doesn't execute properly. It works fine from the command line with quotes around the -exec part. #!/bin/sh /usr/local/bin/sudo /usr/atria/bin/cleartool setview -exec... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sebarry
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

escape characters..

hey i want to know the unix commands to replace all the character escape sequences with their "C" values in a string... thanks in advance..! Regards, Sharanya (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsin2001
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for escape characters

Hi all I have been trying to write a script to look for a set of specific escape characters in a file. On viewing the file via vi it shows this : ^ I understand this means no end of line. I have tried a vary of grep parameters such as grep ^\^. filename grep --binary-file=binary without... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timcs
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escape Characters on various shells

Hi, I want to know if escape charaters work on all the popular UNIX shells. More specifically I want to know if echo "\c" will work on most of the UNIX shells and are there any specific shells on which \c won't work. Please help. Thanks, Vineet (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed to escape special characters

Hello Everyone, I need to read an encrypted password from the user and update that value in an xml file. I am trying to use "sed" for searching the appropriate tag and replacing this new value that get from the user. Since the encrypted password can contain special characters(like /,\,&,etc),... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majose
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to search for these escape characters?

echo "***Enter new LISTENER_PORT (only applicable to new instance), " I used the following: E486: Pattern not found: echo \"\*\*\*Enter new LISTENER_PORT \(only applicable to new instanace\), \" when I try to search for the above line, I'm not able to do it so how do I search for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape characters

i am executing script from A server which will execute the script in B server , as below. ssh A 'ssh B echo 'select * from testing where name ='test'' i am getting the below output. select * from testing where name=test but i need the output where clause with quotes , tried with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to escape all special characters?

I have an application which I am integrating with that accepts the password via a CLI. I am running in to issues with passwords that contain special characters. I tried to escape them all, but I ran in to an issue where I cannot escape the characters ' ] My attempt is as follows: $... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMG1978
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape characters in a variable

Debian 9 64x - LXDE How can i disable escape sequences in a variable? #!/bin/bash #mainscript . "./links.bash" echo "$red_start This text should be red $color_end"#!/bin/bash #links.bash #colors red_start="\eOutput that i get: \e Output expected: This text should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: int3g3r
5 Replies
lpadmin(8)						      Easy Software Products							lpadmin(8)

NAME
lpadmin - configure cups printers and classes SYNOPSIS
lpadmin [ -E ] [ -h server ] -d destination lpadmin [ -E ] [ -h server ] -p printer option(s) lpadmin [ -E ] [ -h server ] -x destination DESCRIPTION
lpadmin configures printer and class queues provided by CUPS. It can also be used to set the server default printer or class. When specified before the -d, -p, or -x options, the -E option forces encryption when connecting to the server. The first form of the command sets the default printer or class to destination. Subsequent print jobs submitted via the lp(1) or lpr(1) commands will use this destination unless the user specifies otherwise with the lpoptions(1) command. The second form of the command configures the named printer. The additional options are described below. The third form of the command deletes the printer or class destination. Any jobs that are pending for the destination will be removed and any job that is currently printed will be aborted. CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
The following options are recognized when configuring a printer queue: -c class Adds the named printer to class. If class does not exist it is created automatically. -i interface Sets a System V style interface script for the printer. This option cannot be specified with the -P option (PPD file) and is intended for providing support for legacy printer drivers. -m model Sets a standard System V interface script or PPD file from the model directory. -o name=value Sets a PPD or server option for the printer. PPD options can be listed using the -l option with the lpoptions(1) command. -o job-k-limit=value Sets the kilobyte limit for per-user quotas. The value is an integer number of kilobytes; one kilobyte is 1024 bytes. -o job-page-limit=value Sets the page limit for per-user quotas. The value is the integer number of pages that can be printed; double-sided pages are counted as two pages. -o job-quota-period=value Sets the accounting period for per-user quotas. The value is an integer number of seconds; 86,400 seconds are in one day. -r class Removes the named printer from class. If the resulting class becomes empty it is removed. -u allow:user,user -u deny:user,user -u allow:all -u deny:none Sets user-level access control on a printer. The latter two forms turn user-level access control off. -v device-uri Sets the device-uri attribute of the printer queue. If device-uri is a filename it is automatically converted to the form file:/file/name. -D info Provides a textual description of the printer. -E Enables the printer and accepts jobs; this is the same as running the accept(8) and enable(8) programs on the printer. -L location Provides a textual location of the printer. -P ppd-file Specifies a PostScript Printer Description file to use with the printer. If specified, this option overrides the -i option (interface script). COMPATIBILITY
Unlike the System V printing system, CUPS allows printer names to contain any printable character except SPACE and TAB. Also, printer and class names are not case-sensitive. Finally, the CUPS version of lpadmin may ask the user for an access password depending on the printing system configuration. This differs from the System V version which requires the root user to execute this command. LIMITATIONS
The CUPS version of lpadmin does not support all of the System V or Solaris printing system configuration options. SEE ALSO
accept(8), cancel(1), disable(8), enable(8), lp(1), lpstat(1), reject(8), CUPS Software Administrators Manual, http://localhost:631/docu- mentation.html COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1993-2002 by Easy Software Products, All Rights Reserved. 21 October 2002 Common UNIX Printing System lpadmin(8)