Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed 's/~/\^J/g' how to get "^J" on same line as rest of the command. Post 4174 by LivinFree on Thursday 19th of July 2001 09:23:53 PM
Old 07-19-2001

What about using ctrl-v ctrl-j ? This works under bash in Linux, and ksh on HP-UX for sure. Ctrl-v makes the next character literal, not interpreted as the control-command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the 'whatis' command?

I am kind of new with Unix and I really need some help. Can you please tell me what the 'whatis' command is? and what does it do? Let's say that I have a file which I want to delete, what command will I need to use? If I have a directory that I want to delete all files from what command do... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mischiefdemon
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'find' command question

my solaris text talks about the 'find' command... it further goes to talk about an "action" used with the find command. I am completely confused as to what the {} do with the find comand. the explanation is this: "A set of braces, {}, delimits where the file name is passed to the command from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i don't understand the "sort" command

i have been trying to understand this chapter titled "Searching for Files and Text" for a few weeks now. unfortunately, this chapter is one of those things, that no matter how hard you try and how long you try for, you are incapable of understanding (at least in my case) this entire chapter,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Why i can't use the tool "turbosoundcfg" to configure the sound in my TurboLinux?

But the page "http://www.chinalinuxpub.com/doc/tlc61/node60.html" says it can.Why ?What can i do? Help me ! Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sensir163
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

7. Programming

Couldn't compile the simple "Hello World"

So, this is my first C++ program under linux. My OS is Red Hat 8.0, and my codes are like following: $vi hello.cpp #include <iostream> using namespace std; int main() { cout << "Hello World!" << endl; return 0; } $ g++ -o hello hello.cpp the error message are: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies
fiu-ctrl(1)						      General Commands Manual						       fiu-ctrl(1)

NAME
fiu-ctrl - a script to remote control programs using libfiu SYNOPSIS
fiu-ctrl [options] PID [PID ...] DESCRIPTION
fiu-ctrl is a script to enable/disable failure points in running programs that are using libfiu(3). Programs are usually launched using fiu-run(1), which enables libfiu's remote control capabilities without the need to modify the program's code. For additional documentation, go to the project's website at http://blitiri.com.ar/p/libfiu. OPTIONS
-c command Run the given libfiu remote control command before executing the program (see below for reference). -f ctrlpath Set the default prefix for remote control over named pipes. Defaults to "$TMPDIR/fiu-ctrl", or "/tmp/fiu-ctrl" if "$TMPDIR" is not set, which is the usually correct for programs launched using fiu-run(1). Remote control commands are of the form "command param1=value1,param2=value2". Valid commands are: 'enable name=NAME' Enables the NAME failure point unconditionally. 'enable_random name=NAME,probability=P' Enables the NAME failure point with a probability of P. 'disable name=NAME' Disables the NAME failure point. All of the enable* commands can also optionally take failnum and failinfo parameters, analogous to the ones taken by the C functions. EXAMPLES
The following command will tell the process running with PID 12345 to enable the failure point posix/io/read with a 25% of probability to fail, and the failure point libc/mm/malloc with a 5% of probability to fail: fiu-ctrl -c 'enable_random name=posix/io/*,probability=0.25' -c 'enable_random name=libc/mm/*,probability=0.05' 12345 And the following will tell the same process to disable the previously enabled failure point posix/io/read: fiu-ctrl -c 'disable name=posix/io/read' 12345 SEE ALSO
libfiu(3), fiu-run(1). BUGS
If you want to report bugs, or have any questions or comments, just let me know at albertito@blitiri.com.ar. For more information about libfiu, you can go to http://blitiri.com.ar/p/libfiu. 16/Jun/2009 fiu-ctrl(1)