Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: copying a large filesystem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers copying a large filesystem Post 41562 by pressy on Wednesday 8th of October 2003 09:22:31 AM
Old 10-08-2003

hiho,

i prefer an ufsdump when transfering filesystems from maschine to maschine.....
# ufsdump -f <name> <path>
# ufsrestore <name>

you said the new disk is already in the maschine.... so you could copy the files directly. i would do it this way to keep the permissions:
# mount /dev/dsk/c?t?d0s? /mnt/newdisk
# find /export/home -print -depth | cpio -pdmu /mnt/newdisk

you don't need to change any shares, because now you could mount the "newdisk" to /export/home
# umount /export/home ; mount /dev/dsk/c?t?d0s? /export/home
fix your entry in /etc/vfstab and everyone can work unconsciously.

greetings Preßy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying the content of a filesystem to different Harddrive

my server runs solaris 10 , one of the partition in my primary harddrive is 99% full , i want to move the contents of it to the second harddrive . what is the best way to move the contents to 2nd drive ? which command should i use cpio/dd/tar/ufsdump .... please guide me with the command and the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Copying the content of a filesystem to different Harddrive

my server runs solaris 10 , one of the partition in my primary harddrive is 99% full , i want to move the contents of it to the second harddrive which has higher capacity. what is the best way to move the contents to 2nd drive ? which command should i use cpio/dd/tar/ufsdump .... please guide me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying large file problem on SVR4 Unix

We have 3 Unix servers all running SVR4 Unix 1.4. I have no problems copying files to and from 2 of the servers using either the rcp command or ftp but when i come to transfer large files to the third server the copy gives up part way through and crashes this server. Copying smaller files using RCP... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coatesd
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying of large files fail

Hi, I have a process which duplicates files for different environments. As the files arrive, my script (korn shell) makes copies of them (giving a unique name) and then renames the original file so that my process won't get triggered again. I don't like it either, but it's what we were told to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldenEye4ever
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Large File

I have a large file that I append entries to the end of every few seconds. Its grown to >150MB. Its basically a log file but a perl script is writing to it. I need to make a copy of it to a new directory. I realize the latest entries occuring while the copy is taking place will not be recorded... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lforum
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files to a remote NFS filesystem

Hi guys Maybe a stupid question.. IS possible, in unix, to copy files to a remote NFS shared filesystem without mounting it? Just like windows does: copy * \\folderA\folderB Thanks.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start copying large file while its still being restored from tape

Hello, I need to copy a 700GB tape-image file over a network. I want to start the copy process before the tape-image has finished being restored from the tape. The tape restore speed is about 78 Mbps and the file transfer speed over the network is about 45 Mbps I don't want to use a pipe, since... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamik
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find large files in root filesystem and exclude others

I am wondering if there is a way to search for top 10 files in size in root filesystem but exclude all other mounts including nfs mounts . For example excluded /var /boot /app /app1 /u01/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying number by looking a large file

Hi All, I have a big file which looks like this: abc 34.32 cdf 343.45 computer 1.34 ladder 2.3422 I have some 100000 .TXT files which look like this: computer cdf align I have to open each of the text files and read the words from the text files. Then I have to look into that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying large files in a bash script stops execution

Hello, I'm new to this forum and like to first of all say hello to everyone. I've got a really annoying problem at the moment. I'm trying to rsync some files (about 200MB with one file of 120MB) from a Raspberry PI with raspbian to a debian server via rsync. This procedure is stored in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wex_storm
3 Replies
AUTOUNMOUNTD(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   AUTOUNMOUNTD(8)

NAME
autounmountd -- daemon unmounting automounted filesystems SYNOPSIS
autounmountd [-d] [-r time] [-t time] [-v] DESCRIPTION
The autounmountd daemon is responsible for unmounting filesystems mounted by automountd(8). On startup, autounmountd retrieves a list of filesystems that have the automounted mount option set. The list is updated every time a filesystem is mounted or unmounted. After a speci- fied time passes, autounmountd attempts to unmount a filesystem, retrying after some time if necessary. These options are available: -d Debug mode: increase verbosity and do not daemonize. -r Number of seconds to wait before trying to unmount an expired filesystem after a previous attempt failed, possibly due to filesystem being busy. The default value is 600, or ten minutes. -t Number of seconds to wait before trying to unmount a filesystem. The default value is 600, or ten minutes. -v Increase verbosity. EXIT STATUS
The autounmountd utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
auto_master(5), autofs(5), automount(8), automountd(8) HISTORY
The autounmountd daemon appeared in FreeBSD 10.1. AUTHORS
The autounmountd was developed by Edward Tomasz Napierala <trasz@FreeBSD.org> under sponsorship from the FreeBSD Foundation. BSD
December 13, 2014 BSD