Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: copying a large filesystem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers copying a large filesystem Post 41562 by pressy on Wednesday 8th of October 2003 09:22:31 AM
Old 10-08-2003

hiho,

i prefer an ufsdump when transfering filesystems from maschine to maschine.....
# ufsdump -f <name> <path>
# ufsrestore <name>

you said the new disk is already in the maschine.... so you could copy the files directly. i would do it this way to keep the permissions:
# mount /dev/dsk/c?t?d0s? /mnt/newdisk
# find /export/home -print -depth | cpio -pdmu /mnt/newdisk

you don't need to change any shares, because now you could mount the "newdisk" to /export/home
# umount /export/home ; mount /dev/dsk/c?t?d0s? /export/home
fix your entry in /etc/vfstab and everyone can work unconsciously.

greetings Preßy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying the content of a filesystem to different Harddrive

my server runs solaris 10 , one of the partition in my primary harddrive is 99% full , i want to move the contents of it to the second harddrive . what is the best way to move the contents to 2nd drive ? which command should i use cpio/dd/tar/ufsdump .... please guide me with the command and the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Copying the content of a filesystem to different Harddrive

my server runs solaris 10 , one of the partition in my primary harddrive is 99% full , i want to move the contents of it to the second harddrive which has higher capacity. what is the best way to move the contents to 2nd drive ? which command should i use cpio/dd/tar/ufsdump .... please guide me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying large file problem on SVR4 Unix

We have 3 Unix servers all running SVR4 Unix 1.4. I have no problems copying files to and from 2 of the servers using either the rcp command or ftp but when i come to transfer large files to the third server the copy gives up part way through and crashes this server. Copying smaller files using RCP... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coatesd
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying of large files fail

Hi, I have a process which duplicates files for different environments. As the files arrive, my script (korn shell) makes copies of them (giving a unique name) and then renames the original file so that my process won't get triggered again. I don't like it either, but it's what we were told to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldenEye4ever
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Large File

I have a large file that I append entries to the end of every few seconds. Its grown to >150MB. Its basically a log file but a perl script is writing to it. I need to make a copy of it to a new directory. I realize the latest entries occuring while the copy is taking place will not be recorded... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lforum
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files to a remote NFS filesystem

Hi guys Maybe a stupid question.. IS possible, in unix, to copy files to a remote NFS shared filesystem without mounting it? Just like windows does: copy * \\folderA\folderB Thanks.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start copying large file while its still being restored from tape

Hello, I need to copy a 700GB tape-image file over a network. I want to start the copy process before the tape-image has finished being restored from the tape. The tape restore speed is about 78 Mbps and the file transfer speed over the network is about 45 Mbps I don't want to use a pipe, since... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamik
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find large files in root filesystem and exclude others

I am wondering if there is a way to search for top 10 files in size in root filesystem but exclude all other mounts including nfs mounts . For example excluded /var /boot /app /app1 /u01/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying number by looking a large file

Hi All, I have a big file which looks like this: abc 34.32 cdf 343.45 computer 1.34 ladder 2.3422 I have some 100000 .TXT files which look like this: computer cdf align I have to open each of the text files and read the words from the text files. Then I have to look into that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying large files in a bash script stops execution

Hello, I'm new to this forum and like to first of all say hello to everyone. I've got a really annoying problem at the moment. I'm trying to rsync some files (about 200MB with one file of 120MB) from a Raspberry PI with raspbian to a debian server via rsync. This procedure is stored in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wex_storm
3 Replies
lofiadm(1M)                                               System Administration Commands                                               lofiadm(1M)

NAME
lofiadm - administer files available as block devices through lofi SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/lofiadm -a file [device] /usr/sbin/lofiadm -d file | device /usr/sbin/lofiadm [ file | device] DESCRIPTION
lofiadm administers lofi(7D), the loopback file driver. lofi(7D) allows a file to be associated with a block device. That file can then be accessed through the block device. This is useful when the file contains an image of some filesystem (such as a floppy or CD-ROM image), because the block device can then be used with the normal system utilities for mounting, checking or repairing filesystems. See fsck(1M) and mount(1M). Use lofiadm to add a file as a loopback device, remove such an association, or print information about the current associations. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a file [deviceAdd file as a block device. If device is not specified, an available device is picked. If device is specified, lofiadm attempts to assign it to file. device must be available or lofiadm will fail. The ability to specify a device is provided for use in scripts that wish to re-establish a particular set of associations. -d file | deviceRemove an association by file or device name, if the associated block device is not busy, and deallocates the block device. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file Print the block device associated with file. device Print the file name associated with the block device device. Without arguments, print a list of the current associations. Filenames must be valid absolute pathnames. When a file is added, it is opened for reading or writing by root. Any restrictions apply (such as restricted root access over NFS). The file is held open until the association is removed. It is not actually accessed until the block device is used, so it will never be written to if the block device is only opened read-only. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Mounting an Existing CD-ROM Image You should ensure that Solaris understands the image before creating the CD. lofi allows you to mount the image and see if it works. This example mounts an existing CD-ROM image (sparc.iso), of the Red Hat 6.0 CD which was downloaded from the Internet. It was created with the mkisofs utility from the Internet. Use lofiadm to attach a block device to it: # lofiadm -a /home/mike_s/RH6.0/sparc.iso /dev/lofi/1 lofiadm picks the device and prints the device name to the standard output. You can run lofiadm again by issuing the following command: # lofiadm Block Device File /dev/lofi/1 /home/mike_s/RH6.0/sparc.iso Or, you can give it one name and ask for the other, by issuing the following command: # lofiadm /dev/lofi/1 /home/mike_s/RH6.0/sparc.iso Use the mount command to mount the image: # mount -F hsfs -o ro /dev/lofi/1 /mnt Check to ensure that Solaris understands the image: # df -k /mnt Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/lofi/1 512418 512418 0 100% /mnt # ls /mnt ./ RedHat/ doc/ ls-lR rr_moved/ ../ TRANS.TBL dosutils/ ls-lR.gz sbin@ .buildlog bin@ etc@ misc/ tmp/ COPYING boot/ images/ mnt/ usr@ README boot.cat* kernels/ modules/ RPM-PGP-KEY dev@ lib@ proc/ Solaris can mount the CD-ROM image, and understand the filenames. The image was created properly, and you can now create the CD-ROM with confidence. As a final step, unmount and detach the images: # umount /mnt # lofiadm -d /dev/lofi/1 # lofiadm Block Device File Example 2: Mounting a Floppy Image This is similar to Example 1. Using lofi to help you mount files that contain floppy images is helpful if a floppy disk contains a file that you need, but the machine which you are on does not have a floppy drive. It is also helpful if you do not want to take the time to use the dd command to copy the image to a floppy. This is an example of getting to MDB floppy for Solaris on an x86 platform: # lofiadm -a /export/s28/MDB_s28x_wos/latest/boot.3 /dev/lofi/1 # mount -F pcfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt # ls /mnt ./ COMMENT.BAT* RC.D/ SOLARIS.MAP* ../ IDENT* REPLACE.BAT* X/ APPEND.BAT* MAKEDIR.BAT* SOLARIS/ # umount /mnt # lofiadm -d /export/s28/MDB_s28x_wos/latest/boot.3 Example 3: Making a UFS Filesystem on a File Making a UFS filesystm on a file can be useful, particularly if a test suite requires a scratch filesystem. It can be painful (or annoying) to have to re-partition a disk just for the test suite, but you do not have to. You can newfs a file with lofi Create the file: # mkfile 35m /export/home/test Attach it to a block device. You also get the character device that newfs requires, so newfs that: # lofiadm -a /export/home/test /dev/lofi/1 # newfs /dev/rlofi/1 newfs: construct a new file system /dev/rlofi/1: (y/n)? y /dev/rlofi/1: 71638 sectors in 119 cylinders of 1 tracks, 602 sectors 35.0MB in 8 cyl groups (16 c/g, 4.70MB/g, 2240 i/g) super-block backups (for fsck -F ufs -o b=#) at: 32, 9664, 19296, 28928, 38560, 48192, 57824, 67456, Note that ufs might not be able to use the entire file. Mount and use the filesystem: # mount /dev/lofi/1 /mnt # df -k /mnt Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/lofi/1 33455 9 30101 1% /mnt # ls /mnt ./ ../ lost+found/ # umount /mnt # lofiadm -d /dev/lofi/1 Example 4: Creating a PC (FAT) File System on a Unix File The following series of commands creates a FAT file system on a Unix file. The file is associated with a block device created by lofiadm. # mkfile 10M /export/test/testfs # lofiadm -a /export/test testfs /dev/lofi/1 Note use of rlofi, not lofi, in following command. # mkfs -F pcfs -o nofdisk,size=20480 /dev/rlofi/1 Construct a new FAT file system on /dev/rlofi/1: (y/n)? y # mount -F pcfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt # cd /mnt # df -k . Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/lofi/1 10142 0 10142 0% /mnt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of lofiadm: LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE |ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), mount(1M), mount_ufs(1M), newfs(1M), attributes(5), lofi(7D), lofs(7FS) NOTES
Just as you would not directly access a disk device that has mounted file systems, you should not access a file associated with a block device except through the lofi file driver. It might also be appropriate to ensure that the file has appropriate permissions to prevent such access. Associations are not persistant across reboots. A script can be used to re-establish them if required. The abilities of lofiadm, and who can use them, are controlled by the permissions of /dev/lofictl. Read-access allows query operations, such as listing all the associations. Write-access is required to do any state-changing operations, like adding an association. As shipped, /dev/lofictl is owned by root, in group sys, and mode 0644, so all users can do query operations but only root can change any- thing. The administrator can give users write-access, allowing them to add or delete associations, but that is very likely a security hole and should probably only be given to a trusted group. When mounting a filesystem image, take care to use appropriate mount options. In particular, the nosuid mount option might be appropriate for UFS images whose origin is unknown. Also, some options might not be useful or appropriate, like logging or forcedirectio for UFS. For compatibility purposes, a raw device is also exported along with the block device. For example, newfs(1M) requires one. The output of lofiadm (without arguments) might change in future releases. SunOS 5.10 17 Nov 1999 lofiadm(1M)