Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Miniature Shell - IO Redirection and Pipe line filters Post 41528 by supong on Tuesday 7th of October 2003 08:19:25 PM
Old 10-07-2003
Miniature Shell - IO Redirection and Pipe line filters

hi,

I was trying to write a miniature shell (ie, command line interpreter) to implement the features like 'IO Redirection' and 'Pipe line fileters'.
Can anyone help me with sample shell sript to implement the above features.

cheers
supong

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shell redirection in find

hi, i need to clear data off a DOA backup drive. i try this, but just get a file {} in . and no change on the backup drive. bash shell find /mnt/usbbackup -xdev -type f -exec echo `date` > {} \; any ideas? thanks. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drewnichols
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append line that does not contain pipe to it previous line

Hi All, I have a file which contains data as below When we see no pipe character in the line. append those lines to the previous line with pipe character till we get the next line with pipe character with ~(concat with ~) Input file looks like: 1080530944|001|john.l.bonner|Acknowledge|CN... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ainuddin
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Continue output redirection on the same line?

I have for i in 1 2 3 4 do echo $i >> test.txt done test.txt contains ... 1 2 3 4 But I want it to contain ... 1234 Any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in creating a shell script that filters the unwanted pattern

Kindly help, Suppose i am having a file that has got the following contents. Is there any way (eg. sed command) to remove the (*) (*any number) pattern. se.bas tulf.h (1) tuna.c (1) tunsim.c (1) tus.cpp (1) vp.c (1) vp.h (1) vpi. (1) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell output redirection help

Hi all, Actually i need to know whether there is any way to redirect the output of shell operations into any file without pipe . Actually my problem is , i run some command & its result is displayed on shell after some calculations on shell, so if i redirect its output to file, it is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to make fixtures table with lynx --dump and pipe filters

Hey, I'm trying to make a nice clear table of fixtures. lynx --dump Fixtures & Reports | Fixtures | Arsenal.com | tail -n+360 | less #tail to remove 1st 360 line I'm trying to remove the 'Add to Calendar' bit next I tried pipping through sed but not sure if I did it right sed 's/\Add... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 64mb
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell redirection doubt

Hi, Could anyone explain me why I am getting the 'broken pipe' error for the below? exec 3>&1 echo cat | cat <&3 -su: echo: write error: Broken pipe (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print pipe separated list as line by line in Korn Shell

Korn Shell in AIX 6.1 I want to print the below shown pipe (|) separated list line by line. line=es349889|nhb882309|ts00293|snh03524|bg578835|bg37900|rnh00297|py882201|sg175883 for i in line do echo "Hello $line " done I wanted to execute the above for loop. But i can't even set the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: polavan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating an excel file with filters using shell script.

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. I have made a script that can convert an excel file from cvs file. This excel file contains hundreds of records and i would like the reader to be able to filter. Is it possible to create an excel file with filters? or that functionality has not been... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marvin159875321
3 Replies
POE::Pipe::TwoWay(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    POE::Pipe::TwoWay(3pm)

NAME
POE::Pipe::TwoWay - a portable API for two-way pipes SYNOPSIS
my ($a_read, $a_write, $b_read, $b_write) = POE::Pipe::TwoWay->new(); die "couldn't create a pipe: $!" unless defined $a_read; DESCRIPTION
Pipes are troublesome beasts because there are a few different, incompatible ways to create them, and many operating systems implement some subset of them. Therefore it's impossible to rely on a particular method for their creation. POE::Pipe::TwoWay will attempt to create a bidirectional pipe using an appropriate method. If that fails, it will fall back to some other means until success or all methods have been exhausted. Some operating systems require certain exceptions, which are hardcoded into the library. The upshot of all this is that an application can use POE::Pipe::TwoWay to create a bidirectional pipe without worrying about the mechanism that works in the current run-time environment. By the way, POE::Pipe::TwoWay doesn't use POE internally, so it may be used in stand-alone applications without POE. PUBLIC METHODS
new [TYPE] Create a new two-way pipe, optionally constraining it to a particular TYPE of pipe. Two-way pipes have two ends, both of which can be read from and written to. Therefore, a successful new() call will return four handles: read and write for one end, and read and write for the other. On failure, new() sets $! to describe the error and returns nothing. my ($a_read, $a_write, $b_read, $b_write) = POE::Pipe::TwoWay->new(); die $! unless defined $a_read; TYPE may be one of "pipe", "socketpair", or "inet". When set, POE::Pipe::TwoWay will constrain its search to either "pipe()", a UNIX- domain "socketpair()", or plain old sockets, respectively. Otherwise new() will try each method in order, or a particular method predetermined to be the best one for the current operating environment. BUGS
POE::Pipe::OneWay may block up to one second on some systems if failure occurs while trying to create "inet" sockets. SEE ALSO
POE::Pipe, POE::Pipe::OneWay. AUTHOR &; COPYRIGHT POE::Pipe::TwoWay is copyright 2000-2008 by Rocco Caputo. All rights reserved. POE::Pipe::TwoWay is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-15 POE::Pipe::TwoWay(3pm)