Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BSD, Bash and Shells?
Operating Systems BSD BSD, Bash and Shells? Post 41372 by norsk hedensk on Saturday 4th of October 2003 12:03:13 AM
Old 10-04-2003
to find out what shell you are using, try entering this at the command line (it should work):
echo $SHELL

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Difference between ksh,bash and different shells.

Hello Everyone, Can someone please tell me the key difference between the different shells availabe i.e. ksh,bash,(i don't know the others ones. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
5 Replies

2. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interacting with two BASH shells

Hi. I'm working with two BASH shells in order to perform two tasks. For simplicity, suppose that at Shell #1 I'm executing this program: sleep 100 whose PID is 263. Meanwhile Shell #2 is waiting for its termination to follow with a second one. I tried with: wait 263 # Script for second... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hresquivelo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shells communication

Hello all, I have the following problem. In a Bash shell I run a program (I don't have the source code) which will execute some steps. At every step the program will wait for a user input. So I would like that another script which is running on a different shell will send these input togheter with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alohisius
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differences in BASH and ASH shells regarding if command?

Guys I now have a script that's working in a BASH environment, however one line doesn't appear to be working on an embedded device that has a busybox therefore ASH shell. I've googled but there's very little I can find regarding the ASH shell. In BASH the following line works... if ] ;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash function, for BSD

I am putting this thread to shell-threads, because it is about how to make a function work properly. I need a hint for declaring a function right, it has been more than a year I did not work that straight with bash. So my aim is to turn off the eth0 (as it would be in linux, and bge0 in bsd ),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call exeute multiple bash shells from one master shell?

I have few bash shells, which i want to run sequentially, how to create a shell file, and execute/call one after other shell file. I am very new to shell programming. Bult some and running individually and also with crontab scheduler. never had a shell calling other shells, kindly would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
2 Replies
PREPROCESS(1)						      General Commands Manual						     PREPROCESS(1)

NAME
preprocess - Preprocess a file. SYNOPSIS
preprocess [options...] infile DESCRIPTION
Preprocess is like a typical C preprocessor, but it extends to multiple languages. Languages for which it works include: C++, Python, Perl, Tcl, XML, JavaScript, CSS, IDL, TeX, Fortran, PHP, Java, Shell scripts (Bash, CSH, etc.) and C#. Preprocess is usable both as a command line app and as a Python module. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print help text and exit. -V, --version Print the version info and exit. -v, --verbose Give verbose output for errors. -o outfile Write output to the given file instead of to stdout. -f, --force Overwrite given output file. Otherwise an IOError will be raised if outfile already exists. -D define Define a variable for preprocessing. define can simply be a variable name (in which case it will be true) or it can be of the form var=val. An attempt will be made to convert val to an integer so "-D FOO=0" will create a false value. -I dir Add a directory to the include path for #include directives. -k, --keep-lines Emit empty lines for preprocessor statement lines and skipped output lines. This allows line numbers to stay constant. -s, --substitute Substitute defines into emitted lines. By default substitution is NOT done because it currently will substitute into program strings. MODULE USAGE
from preprocess import preprocess preprocess(infile, outfile=sys.stdout, defines={}, force=0, keepLines=0, includePath=[], substitute=0) The <infile> can be marked up with special preprocessor statement lines of the form: <comment-prefix> <preprocessor-statement> <comment-suffix> where the <comment-prefix/suffix> are the native comment delimiters for that file type. EXAMPLES
HTML (*.htm, *.html) or XML (*.xml, *.kpf, *.xul) files: <!-- #if FOO --> ... <!-- #endif --> Python (*.py), Perl (*.pl), Tcl (*.tcl), Ruby (*.rb), Bash (*.sh), or make ([Mm]akefile*) files: # #if defined('FAV_COLOR') and FAV_COLOR == "blue" ... # #elif FAV_COLOR == "red" ... # #else ... # #endif C (*.c, *.h), C++ (*.cpp, *.cxx, *.cc, *.h, *.hpp, *.hxx, *.hh), Java (*.java), PHP (*.php) or C# (*.cs) files: // #define FAV_COLOR 'blue' ... /* #ifndef FAV_COLOR */ ... // #endif Fortran 77 (*.f) or 90/95 (*.f90) files: C #if COEFF == 'var' ... C #endif PREPROCESSOR SYNTAX
Valid statements: #define <var> [<value>] #undef <var> #ifdef <var> #ifndef <var> #if <expr> #elif <expr> #else #endif #error <error string> #include "<file>" where <expr> is any valid Python expression. The expression after #if/elif may be a Python statement. It is an error to refer to a variable that has not been defined by a -D option or by an in-content #define. Special built-in methods for expressions: defined(varName) Return true if given variable is defined. TIPS
A suggested file naming convention is to let input files to preprocess be of the form <basename>.p.<ext> and direct the output of prepro- cess to <basename>.<ext>, e.g.: preprocess -o foo.py foo.p.py The advantage is that other tools (esp. editors) will still recognize the unpreprocessed file as the original language. AUTHORS
Trent Mick <trentm@gmail.com> This manual page was written by Johannes Ring <johannr@simula.no> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). PREPROCESS(1)