Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UID Change
Operating Systems AIX UID Change Post 41364 by Perderabo on Friday 3rd of October 2003 08:28:33 PM
Old 10-03-2003
First, you may have a special problem...did the user have a crontab? Or pending at jobs? Ideally you want to remove these before you make the change. And then resubmit them after the change. At this point I would manually remove them, kill and restart cron and then resubmit them.

To change the uids on the files use:

find / -user 211 -print | xargs chown username

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

UID not to be reused

Hello I want to find out how I can make sure in AIX that the UIDs cannot be reused Until after 6 Months after the user has left. Thanks, Noori (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: noori
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

NIS User UID Change

Hi All, I need to change the UID numbers of many NIS users, is there any command to modify the UID in NIS maps ? ( like usermod) so that their file permissions will be same even with their new UID. If not, how to check all the files owned by particular user in a computer and change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAA
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shall I go for uid or ppid?

Hi Guys, I'd like to ask your advice on the following, I've written this script to terminate a given process by name: #!/bin/bash echo 'Please enter the process you wish to terminate' read process pid=$(pidof $process) kill -9 $pid echo $2 to make it safer I want it to reject the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lora Graham
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

uid script help

i need a script to process a password file and based on the UIDs in the password file, generate the new UID that is 1 greater than the highest uid. i have some script logic but i dont really understand it. any help? #!/usr/bin/perl ########################################## #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

UId

is tty command opens a process in the system if yes then why process got the userid????? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mac91
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicated UID

Hi folks! I need you help to discover what's the impact of a duplicated UID in an operating system. What's the meaning when someone put in different users the same UID? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phcostabh
3 Replies

7. AIX

More than 1 UID 0

Hi, Can any one please tell what are the risks of having more than one users having UID 0 (root)? Thanks Naveed (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveedaix
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uid ,gid value change

Present /home/dsadm# id dsadm uid=0(root) gid=0(root) ---------------------------------- needs to be /home/dsadm> id dsadm uid=23186(dsadm) gid=16284(gdstage) Please provide the command/steps for the above uid, gid value change Thanks in advance for all your support . ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
3 Replies

9. Solaris

UID Admin

Hi All, I have to give permission to one of the groups called as "ABC" as like the permissions of the group "UNIXADM". Could you please some one help on this issue ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
3 Replies

10. AIX

Unable to change uid to 0

Hi Friends, I have created a new user "admin". I would like to use it as root equivalent (can change root password). Now, I want to give uid=0 and gid=0 to act as root. can you help? usermod command is not updating uid. /etc/passwd: root:!:0:0::/:/usr/bin/ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
6 Replies
KEYCTL_CHOWN(3) 					    Linux Key Management Calls						   KEYCTL_CHOWN(3)

NAME
keyctl_chown - Change the ownership of a key SYNOPSIS
#include <keyutils.h> long keyctl_chown(key_serial_t key, uid_t uid, gid_t gid); DESCRIPTION
keyctl_chown() changes the user and group ownership details of a key. A setting of -1 on either uid or gid will cause that setting to be ignored. A process that does not have the SysAdmin capability may not change a key's UID or set the key's GID to a value that does not match the process's GID or one of its group list. The caller must have setattr permission on a key to be able change its ownership. RETURN VALUE
On success keyctl_chown() returns 0 . On error, the value -1 will be returned and errno will have been set to an appropriate error. ERRORS
ENOKEY The specified key does not exist. EKEYEXPIRED The specified key has expired. EKEYREVOKED The specified key has been revoked. EDQUOT Changing the UID to the one specified would run that UID out of quota. EACCES The key exists, but does not grant setattr permission to the calling process. LINKING
This is a library function that can be found in libkeyutils. When linking, -lkeyutils should be specified to the linker. SEE ALSO
keyctl(1), add_key(2), keyctl(2), request_key(2), keyctl(3), request-key(8) Linux 4 May 2006 KEYCTL_CHOWN(3)