Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NTP problem
Operating Systems HP-UX NTP problem Post 41297 by Perderabo on Thursday 2nd of October 2003 07:53:29 AM
Old 10-02-2003
That behavior is normal. Or perhaps even abnormally good. xntp predicts the arrival of a packet from its peer. If that prediction is off by 128 milliseconds or more it gets mad and resyncs. When your peer is across the internet, that is guaranteed to happen several times a day. At least, that's what I thought....you must have an awesome isp or something.

I believe error messages until I have a sound reason to doubt them. If your peer is too far away, then your peer is too far away. The closer you are to your peer, the better. And best of all is to have your peer on the same lan.

Your dispersion is 10.01 which I think is great. I wouldn't worry until it gets close to 1000. At 1000 your system clock could be a full second off....I won't tolerate that. But people who sit around tuning ntp until the dispersion drops below one are crazy unless they work in astronomy or something.

Your setup could be improved quite a bit if you want to. You should have a ntp server outside of any firewalls and it should have 6 or 7 peers, not just one. Then your internal boxes should sync up with it.

And the Ultimate Solution.....
HP sold off all of its cool non-computer stuff Smilie I don't remember the name of the spin-off company. But they sell HP's old atomic clock. If you get that with the high performance cesium beam tube you will have a clock so accurate that no computer in existence can sync to it. It has a serial port and you can plug it in to your system and configure ntp to use it. That's the most accuracte clock available for sale as a product. Just a suggestion Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

NTP Authen Problem

Dear All I'm solaris user . I need to setup NTP authentication for my office server but I have some question for ntp setting up. I need to know if i set authen NTP the client that doesn't set for authen key can sync time from authen ntp server or not ?? when i setup the authen at ntp server ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goasutlor
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NTP problem

All - i tried to sysn the clock from our server to get the timing and the server IP has been added in the ntp.conf file and i have some problems here. if some1 help me to solve this problem. 1. i can ping server 2. i was unable to ntpq -p (time out, no response from remote server, it looks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: March_2007
2 Replies

3. AIX

NTP Client problem

Hello everybody! When I run command "ntpdate" the following error occures "ksh: ntpdate: 0403-006 Execute permission denied. " # oslevel -s 5300-08-06-0918 oslevel -r 5300-08 eny suggestion friends? :-) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wwwzviadi
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

NTP sync problem

Hi, I have 4 machines and all are NTP configured with same ntp.conf file. But 3 machines are in sync with Time server and 4th machine is not contacting & sync with the NTP server. Please see the below details. # service ntpd stop Stopping ntpd: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday123
0 Replies

5. Solaris

NTP problem.

Hi, I have edited the /etc/inet/ntp.conf file to point to a new time server. When I restart ntp on Solaris 10 using 'svcadm disable/enable ntp' it still points to the old ntp server when I run a 'ntpq -p'. Any ideas? Thanks. Sparcman (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NTP Problem

Hello every one i want to setup a ntp on sco unix 5.0.6 and i don't have any time server how can i do this with local time (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaydream
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

DNS and NTP strange problem

Hi, I'm having problem with my DNS and NTP. For the DNS: I'm using RHEL4, Bonding and heartbeat. Bond0 IP address: 192.168.1.10 Heartbeat or Bond0:0: 192.168.1.50 Currently, I use my heartbeat ip address for my DNS or in named.conf Everytime I reboot my server, it says that dns/named... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
3 Replies

8. AIX

NTP time problem

I got an ntp time problem on AIX server. os version is AIX7.1 OS LEVEL 7.1.0.0 i got below output,when i run the below command bash-3.2# ntpdate -dv XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 4 Dec 12:50:49 ntpdate: 3.4y transmit(xxxxxxxxx) receive(xxxxxxxxx) transmit(xxxxxxxx) receive(xxxxxxxxx)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali969
9 Replies

9. Red Hat

Ntp client sync with local over ntp server

Hi, I have two ntp servers in my cluster and I want all the nodes in my cluster to sync with either of the ntp servers or just one. Unfortunately it keep rotating the sync, between my ntp server 1, ntp server 2 and local. Is there anyway I can change the sync to avoid local? # ntpq -p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

NTP synchronised problem in our Centos 7.6 node

Someone, please help on this issue:- Note : for security reason i didn't mention hostnames and ips. ============================================================================== # ntpstat unsynchronised polling server every 1024 s Ntpstat showing unsynchronised. ... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanmugaraj
29 Replies
ntp.conf(5)							File Formats Manual						       ntp.conf(5)

Name
       ntp.conf - Network Time Protocol configuration file

Description
       The  file  is the configuration file for the Network Time Protocol (NTP) daemon, This file must be configured on your system before running
       Any host names that you specify in the file must have an entry in the file, or an entry in the master database, if the  database  is  being
       served to your system by BIND/Hesiod or Yellow Pages.

The file has four entry formats:

trusting no
	    This entry guarantees that your system synchronizes only to the NTP servers identified in the peer and server entries specified.  Dig-
	    ital recommends that all systems include the entry.

peer server
	    This entry identifies server as one of the NTP servers that your system trusts, and from which your system will accept  time  synchro-
	    nization.	 Your  system  may  also  provide time synchronization to this server.	Servers can be identified by host name or internet
	    address.

NTP servers should be configured with entries.

server server
	    This entry identifies server as one of the NTP servers that your system trusts, and from which your system will accept  time  synchro-
	    nization.	Your  system  can  not	provide  time  synchronization to this server.	Servers can be identified by host name or internet
	    address.

NTP clients should be configured with entries.

peer   /dev/null       LOCL    1       -5      local
	    This entry identifies your system as a local reference clock.  A local reference clock is the most accurate system clock available	at
	    your  site.   If you receive time synchronization from the Internet NTP service, you should not include this entry on any of your sys-
	    tems.  At most, one system in a set of nodes running should be identified as a local reference clock.

A host which specifies this entry should not specify any or entries.

Examples
       This is a sample configuration file for an NTP client which receives time synchronization from the NTP servers: and Lines beginning with  a
       number sign (#) are comments.
       #
       #	       NTP  Configuration File
       #	This file is mandatory for the ntpd daemon
       #
       #
       #
       #   **  A L L  **
       #
       #  "trusting no" prevents this host from synchronizing
       #   to any host that is not listed below.  It is recommended
       #   that all hosts include the line "trusting no".
       #
       trusting no
       #
       #
       #    **	S E R V E R  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a server, use "peer" entries to
       #  synchronize to other NTP servers.  For example, server1,
       #  server2, and server3.
       #
       #peer	      server1
       #peer	      server2
       #peer	      server3
       #
       #
       #
       #
       #    **	C L I E N T  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a client, use "server" entries to
       #  synchronize to NTP servers.  For example, server1, server2,
       #  and server3.
       #
       server	      server1
       server	      server2
       server	      server3
       #
       #
       #
       #    **	L O C A L   R E F E R E N C E	C L O C K  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a local reference clock, include the
       #  following entry and the "trusting no" entry ONLY.
       #
       #peer	 /dev/null LOCL 1    -5   local
       #

See Also
       ntp(1), ntpd(8), ntpdc(8)
       RFC 1129--Internet time synchronization:  The Network Time Protocol
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

ntp.conf(5)