Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Windows 2000 to Linux
Operating Systems Linux Windows 2000 to Linux Post 41280 by Rawdawg on Wednesday 1st of October 2003 10:24:10 PM
Old 10-01-2003
Windows 2000 to Linux

Smilie I currently have windows 2000 installed on a 38 Gigabyte HD. I recently picked up a 'Teach Yourself Linux in 24 Hours' book. The book comes with a copy of redhat 5.0 (hurricane). I tried reinstalling windows with a partition of 10 GBs with a fat32 file system. That left me with roughly 28 Gigs of unallocated space. I copied the boot and supplimental disks from the Redhat cd. In the book it says I would have trouble using the 'fips' command (on the boot disk). So I downloaded Partition Magic (like the book says to). It didn't even recognize my partition. It just showed 1 Primary Partition the whole size of my HD. I tried adding a logical partition (to install linux to). 1024 MB in size with a ext2 file type. Also a 516MB swap partition. It logged off and proceeded to make the partitions. When i got back to windows PM (part magic) showed my primary (CSmilie 1.5 gigs less (36.5GB) than the size of my hd (38GB). Which makes sense cause i just made the two new ones. But which also doesn't make sense because my C: is only 10GB in My computer. PM also showed the new extended partition with the two logical partitions. So (thinking the new partitions are there) i pop in the boot disk and reboot. setup start so far so good. When i get to Diskdruid. My 10GB Partition is there but no swap or linux partitions. So i went back to windows deleted the extended partion . now i am getting delaid write failures. wtf is going on?
what did i do wrong?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dual boot windows 2000 and solaris 8

Hello I recently purchased solaris 8 and I want to dual boot with windows 2000. What is the easiest way to install the solaris OS with the existing windows 2000? mogfog (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogfog
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix with Windows 2000

Hey! I have just acquired a Unisys SMP6400 server. It has Unix already installed. It has 2 disk drives: 1 is 2 gig with Unix setup on it. The 2nd drive is 8 gig with apps. Both drives are under Mylex DAC960 raid control. Here is my question, can I install Windows 2000 Pro on this machine either... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastermold
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sco openserver and Windows 2000 server

Hi, i have 4 Unix Sco openservers, 4PCs running windows 2000, and 1 PC with windows server which i want to configure in the same network. During the configuration procedure, the wizard of Windows 2000 SERVER ask you if this is the only server in the network, now it will be the only WINDOWS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
2 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

file management in windows 2000 server

i am using windows 2000 server. my query is as follows: there are 2 directories say c:\emp & c:\exe. DataBase (DB) files are there in emp folder and the executables are in exe folder. Now i want to share the exe folder to the clients. If i give read permission to the exe folder and no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix versus Windows 2000

Does anyone know where I might find info on Unix versus Windows 2000 with information pertaining to support, networks, hardware, software? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bnite
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Outlook Express on Windows 2000

Does anyone know where Outlook Express on Windows 2000 store the e-mails? I know where it stores on Windows XP, but I need it for Windows 2000 regards. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning UNIX on a Windows 2000 machine?

What is the best way to learn UNIX, shell, and Perl on a Windows 2000 machine? My place of employment uses Solaris and Perl and I would like to learn some UNIX skills on my home PC. I read about "dual boots", "Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX", and "cygwin". What other free options are... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris GUI on a Windows 2000 box

I have a Sunfire V240 installed with Solaris 10. They are networked together and connected to a hub. They can ping eachothers IP address. I am trying to get a GUI from the V240 to display on the Windows 2000 box. Can someone please give me some step-by-step instructions on how to achieve... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: acme420
11 Replies
books(3)							       Coin								  books(3)

NAME
books - Books Related to Open Inventor / Coin Here is a list of some of the better books for people that invested in software development with Open Inventor. If you have suggestions for additional books that ought to go on this list, please feel free to tell us about it. The Inventor Mentor (subtitle 'Programming Object-Oriented 3D Graphics with Open Inventor') This is an excellently written, detailed, tutorial-style introductory book for Open Inventor that takes you through all the fundamental design principles applied in the Open Inventor API, richly illustrated and with numerous, well documented code examples. The Inventor Mentor is getting a bit old, but do not let that put you off. It is as valid today as it was the day it was written, and we heartily recommend this book for anyone learning to use Open Inventor. ISBN 0-201-62495-8. You might also be able to find this book as a pdf file online, but we recommend having it in print. The Inventor Toolmaker This book explains how Open Inventor was designed for being extended by the users, and walks you through how to develop your own components that work with all aspects of Coin. ISBN 0-201-62493-1. You might also be able to find this book as a pdf file online, but we recommend having it in print. The Annotated VRML2.0 Reference Manual This book covers the VRML97 (aka VRML 2.0) standard, which Coin has implemented with its Inventor/VRMLnodes/* classes, which is an extension made beyond the Open Inventor V2.1 API. The VRML97 format has some significant differences from the Inventor and VRML1 formats, so it is a useful book if you want to use that part of Coin. ISBN 0-201-41974-2. You will find the specification documents for VRML97 online at http://www.web3d.org/. The Open GL Programming Manual This is the bible when it comes to OpenGL programming and is relevant for Open Inventor extenders that develop new nodes that implement or affect Open Inventor OpenGL rendering. There are many editions of this book since it is updated whenever new versions of OpenGL are standardized and comes out, so check that you have identified the latest edition if you order one. The Open Inventor C++ Reference Manual Although this book is directly relevant for Open Inventor, it does only cover the Open Inventor 2.1 API. This information is more or less also covered in the online doxygen doc for Coin, where you have it hyperlinked, and can also be generated offline from the Coin sources to have locally, so we do not think this book is very useful to have in print. We mention it anyway since it is an official documentation book for Open Inventor. ISBN 0-201-62491-5. Version 3.1.3 Wed May 23 2012 books(3)